What to do with 1 yd of silnylon?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Conner D
(cdipaolo) - F

Locale: SoCal
What to do with 1 yd of silnylon? on 11/29/2011 23:16:01 MST Print View

I'm making a 9x5 tarp out of silnylon seconds from owfinc. I had to order 4 yards instead of 3 because I could not meet their minimum order (only for 1st order). So, now I have an extra yard of silnylon and I dont know what do do with it. Any suggestions? I was thinking about making a rain skirt.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What to do with 1 yd of silnylon? on 11/29/2011 23:21:44 MST Print View

I had the same question about one week ago. I made a small backpack about the size of a daypack, and it is sized just right to haul a Bear Vault 500. With shoulder straps and everything, it weighs 1.4 oz.

If I had less than one yard, I just make stuff sacks since they can be practically any size and be useful.

--B.G.--

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
anorak on 11/29/2011 23:58:14 MST Print View

with smart cutting a rain jacket or anorak ?

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Henley Pack on 11/30/2011 06:41:44 MST Print View

You could make Mark Henley's pack. It took exactly 1 sq/yd of fabric. I made this as my first pack. I made a new one very quickly after and changed a lot, but you could use it as a guideline for cutting pieces and make something. You can google search

Henley_1oz_instructions.pdf

you can find some things. I think I have it saved on my computer and can send it to you as well if you would like.

Conner D
(cdipaolo) - F

Re: Re: What to do with 1 yd of silnylon? on 11/30/2011 09:16:17 MST Print View

The daypack sounds nice. I dont have the skills to cut a anorak or anything like that (cutting is the worst part of sewing for me) but I can do strait edges well. Was the daypack similar to the gossamer gear Riksack? Thanks for the suggestions.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Re: Re: What to do with 1 yd of silnylon? on 11/30/2011 09:42:45 MST Print View

If you're looking for a really simple project, with a yard, you could make a custom-sized pack cover and probably have enough left over for a few stuff sacks.

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
extra silnylon on 11/30/2011 10:35:00 MST Print View

Multi-use item pack cover/gear hammock/mini-tarp/water bag/ bear bag.

Conner D
(cdipaolo) - F

Re: Henley Pack on 11/30/2011 20:03:09 MST Print View

After thinking about it I will probably make the Henley Pack because it is so simple but so functional. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
What to do with 1 yd of silnylon? on 11/30/2011 20:58:07 MST Print View

One yard should be enough to make a wine bladder that could easily hold 3 gallons.