Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Home dehydrated coconut milk
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Home dehydrated coconut milk on 11/28/2011 15:28:28 MST Print View

Hey, you divas of dehydrating, what happens when you spread a can of coconut milk on dehydrator trays? I cannot seem to find powdered coconut milk that does not have casein in it. I was told that the casein is to keep the solids from separating. Just wondered if anyone has tried it, and what results they've had.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Home dehydrated coconut milk on 11/28/2011 15:51:34 MST Print View

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Creamed-Coconut/dp/B00113ZZ5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322520587&sr=8-1

Diane you can find this in many natural food stores - I know I have seen it at PCC and Marlenes in Federal Way and if I am right also at Whole Foods. Treat it just like coconut cream powder!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
coconut cream on 11/28/2011 16:21:43 MST Print View

At least that's in a tetrapak, and not a can! So, just take a smaller container of this along, and pour/scoop it into whatever I'm making--cocoa, soup, mix it in rehydrated pumpkin bark?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: coconut cream on 11/28/2011 16:56:11 MST Print View

It is actually bar like - it is neat, you can cut/scrape off what you need :-) Shelf stable too!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
organic creamed coconut on 12/01/2011 08:17:50 MST Print View

I've used the creamed coconut and it works well enough and is casein free. It's a little heavy but good calorie to weight ratio. It reminds me of very hard fudge (for lack of a better description). The stuff I buy is wrapped in a waxy paper and is in a box.

Sometimes you can find coconut milk powder without casein but it can be pricey.

Walter Fetterley
(fette006) - MLife
Organic Creamed Coconut on 06/09/2013 20:38:23 MDT Print View

This might be a good starting place for a trail bar.

Benen Huntley
(benen) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
does it work? on 09/16/2014 07:24:47 MDT Print View

I came across this post whilst doing a Google search on dehydrating coconut. So has anyone tried dehydrating a tin of coconut milk/cream? It's very high fat so I would assume it would still have a shorter shelf life than other foods but I'd love to know if it turns out ok. Would make an excellent high calorie base for hiking curries.