Forum Index » GEAR » Looking for a good expedition pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: wow $$$ on 11/29/2011 20:18:27 MST Print View

P.S. check out this link to save weight on fuel for snow melting

Hey Dave,

The "aluminized stoveboard" mentioned in that link ... anything more than plywood wrapped in aluminum flashing material?

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
stoveboard on 12/07/2011 08:46:53 MST Print View

Sorry Jim,

I just got back from a 4 day trip. I made one out of 1/8 " luan (sp) plywood covered in aluminum and glued to a piece of foam. I bolt the stove to it. On sled trips I made an integrated windscreen that doubles as a hobo stove if I have a gas stove failure. It is riveted to an old cookie sheet and it also serves to protect the MSR – so I can leave it assembled. (less fumbling around without mitts on)

I can send pics if you want as it is hard to describe.

Dave

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Mchale on 12/11/2011 08:14:03 MST Print View

> I am such a gear nerd that I would LOVE to try all of them, but I think I am going to > save my pennies and go with a Mchale.

If you save enough pennies, you can go whole-hog and get a McHale made entirely of Dyneema to save weight. It's probably Dan's most expensive option, but it might be worth considering if you're going for one of his bigger packs, since the weight savings is related to the pack size.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
Re: Mchale on 12/11/2011 12:12:09 MST Print View

+1 on the Mchale. Saw one in action last weekend. Very nice, well built and tough as nails. If I had an unlimited gear budget, then I would have to have one.

Dave

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
70 lbs on 12/11/2011 19:04:04 MST Print View

If I was going to haul 70 lbs of gear up a mountain, I'd go with
Granite Gear Stratus Flatbed; they sell them on amazon

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Critical Mass on 12/11/2011 19:27:29 MST Print View

If your going with a McHale, and want to hump upwards of 70 lbs, then your probably going to need the beefier Critical Mass suspension system, which will run you a few extra $$$$ Good luck.