Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Weight muffin cup on 12/07/2007 08:30:37 MST Print View

What does one of the silicone cups weigh?

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Weight muffin cup on 12/07/2007 10:50:23 MST Print View

I have a 5" mini round pie pan that fits just inside the AGG 3-cup pot. It weighs 1 oz. Same weight as the pot grabber it replaces.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

RE: Weight muffin cup on 12/07/2007 11:00:48 MST Print View

Darn!
5" diameter won't fit inside my SnowPeak 600 (about 3.5" diameter) or even my FireLite 1100 (about 4.5" D). I really need a muffin baking cup with no ridges. Are they out there?

The Betty Crocker Warm Delights mini plastic bowl won't replace a pot grabber, but it is reusable, easily cleaned and only weighs 0.2 oz with a 4" diameter - perfect in the 1100.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: RE: Weight muffin cup on 12/07/2007 11:16:40 MST Print View

No problem. You can get a muffin tray and cut out the individual cups as suggested above. Here's one:

http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00231715&RankThis=Y&Searched=silicone&

Pay attention to the depth of the cup. This one's 1.5" deep with about a 3.75" diameter. You want a good sized muffin if you're going through the trouble.

Edit: These match your dimensions well at 3.5 x 1.5 and you don't need to cut.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/items/Silicone_Round_Mini_Pans_Set_6

Edited by nschmald on 12/07/2007 11:36:56 MST.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Nice! on 12/07/2007 11:52:08 MST Print View

Excellent!
Thanks Nia.

Greg Vaillancourt
(GSV45) - F

Locale: Utah
a picture on 12/07/2007 18:49:19 MST Print View

http://fantes.com/images/21703silicone.jpg

This one looks like the muffin tray I bought at Kmart. 10 bucks. Cleanup is ridiculously easy. There are no ridges on the inside of the cups.

I had not thought of the pot grabber idea. I did think that this would be a good way to steam/poach eggs without much trouble.muffin tray

Edited by GSV45 on 12/07/2007 18:50:43 MST.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Target on 12/09/2007 14:07:13 MST Print View

I went to Target yesterday - they have a nice selection of silicone stuff. Including individual muffin cups, muffin pans like in the photo above, and a 1 cup measuring cup that collapses that probably could be stripped of handle and used for steaming. I bought KitchenAid brand "Fluted Silicone Baking Cups" that are mini bundt pans with an inverted hollow cone in the center. 12 on sale for $10. Each one weighs 0.7 oz. The cone in the center should help muffins cook faster. I wanted something smooth but couldn't resist these little babies. Although bigger than a muffin cup, they hold about the same amount of batter - only 1/4 cup. One fits fine in my SnowPeak 600. Haven't tried it out yet and still love the idea of those mini cake pans that should just fit in my SP 600. I'll be on the lookout for them!

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
MUFFINS on 02/16/2008 15:55:40 MST Print View

IMPORTANT NEWS!
The MUFFIN issue has been solved, at least a light weigh solution.

I made 4 extremely CUTE and utterly PERFECT muffins.

(see photos)

Visit this link:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/kitchenbakeware/cupcakes+&+muffin+pans/reusable+sili-cups&%238482-,+set+of+12+pastel.do

These very pretty pastel silicone muffin cups are the freekin' bomb! Using these (4 per 1.5 liter MSR titanium pot) are utterly simple, small enough to avoid "sogginess" and their colors add a festiveness to the humble muffin.

.32 oz per pastel cup

* The muffin batter was simple pancakebatter.
* I used a smaller titanium lid under the muffin cups while steaming.
* Approx 12 minutes cook-time (about the same as 1 esbit tab)
* Yummy...

peace and love light-weight comrades!
M!

It was so easy, even Scott Cristy could do it!

cover shot for GOURMET magazine

lookin' good

nice!

Edited by mikeclelland on 02/16/2008 16:02:35 MST.

Greg Vaillancourt
(GSV45) - F

Locale: Utah
Jagshemesh on 04/05/2008 18:16:43 MDT Print View

NICE

VERY NICE

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Groovy-Biotic Cooking - MUFFINS! on 11/27/2008 21:44:03 MST Print View

andy

LOOK! Andy Skurka, the lightweight hiking fiend, makes muffins. Fuctionality vs WOW-factor.

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Re: MUFFINS on 11/28/2008 04:35:03 MST Print View

dudddddde, my wife and I were cooking yesterday when she broke these same muffin cups out and the same idea dawned on both of us.....

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: MUFFINS on 11/28/2008 07:59:49 MST Print View

Mike,

The link to the muffin cups doesn't work.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

MUFFINS (wow factor) on 11/28/2008 08:20:13 MST Print View

- try this link -
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Easy-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000FPX4GC

Andrew Blair
(nicemarmot)

Locale: Cacapoopoopeepeeshire
groovy! on 11/28/2008 21:17:54 MST Print View

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

so, so helpful.

Cindy (the girly half of Cindy and Andy)
www.cindigo.com

Edited by nicemarmot on 11/28/2008 21:20:47 MST.

Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Locale: Northeast U.S.
Re:Groovy-Biotic Cooking on 03/03/2009 18:53:13 MST Print View

Maybe I overlooked them, but I was wondering what are the measurements for the sauce ingredients? I do not see them listed.

Thanks,

Nick

joe newton
(holdfast)

Locale: Bergen, Norway
Re: Groovy-Biotic Cooking steamed muffins on 03/04/2009 09:00:11 MST Print View

Nick - the ingredients are listed in Mike's article and discussed further in the posts above.

Greg & Nia - I started using the individual pleated silicone muffin cups that Mike suggested but found them fiddly to clean up so I bought a six-muffin silicone tray with smooth sides like the blue one pictured above. I was just about to cut it into singles when I noticed on the underside of the tray and on the packaging strongly worded warnings NOT to cut the tray. Anyone know why this is? Is there a problem with silicone leaching or something?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: baking suggestion on 03/04/2009 11:11:29 MST Print View

Great article! Thanks for reviving it Nick.

I love the idea of sauces and spices to allow you to adjust flavorings on the trail. I've had dishes in the past that I started to hate due to the spice blend- easy to correct with this system.

Last summer in the Sierra I had a steamed muffin or two every day for two weeks. I made a little riser from a cat food can and then baked in disposable aluminum muffin liners. At 9,000 to 12,000 feet I cooked them for 12-15 minutes and they were done. I never got a goey one but I can't imagine 6 minutes being long enough. From tests at home my Jetboil used about 4 grams of fuel to simmer for 15 minutes. I was amazed that it never blew out even with a very tiny flame.

Edited by jimqpublic on 03/04/2009 11:12:40 MST.

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: Groovy-Biotic Cooking steamed muffins on 03/04/2009 11:31:21 MST Print View

Nick, no clue why your try says not to cut it. When I have done so it seems completely uniform inside and hasn't deteriorated, although I haven't used it much. I know there are some sheet pan liners that have fiberglass reinforcement and obviously one would not want to cut that.

BTW I've since abandoned the silicone muffin trays and gone to a snow peak titanium bowl. I wanted more food than I could reasonable fit in the little cups. This allows me to use it as a major food source rather than just a treat. Replaces energy bars for me.

Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Locale: Northeast U.S.
Re: Groovy-Biotic Cooking on 03/06/2009 12:56:00 MST Print View

I think my question was misunderstood or I misunderstood your answer.

In either case, take, for example, the list of ingredients in the Pesto Sauce. Yes, the ingredients are listed, but not the quantity of each ingredient.

For example, 1/4 teaspoon of chopped fresh basil, 1/2 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic -- I don't see that information listed.

Thanks,

Nick

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Excellent! on 05/22/2009 14:26:35 MDT Print View

And the death shall rise again =)

Great article Mike, I got a lot of inspiration out of it and will test your recipes and the steam baking as well - just need a suitable cup (what a good excuse to buy some more gear!). Its awesome that vegetarian and vegan options are discussed, and those are so delicious that I will be off to the shop tomorrow to get some ingredients.

Finally, excellent artwork. I'm just reading "Lighten Up!" and really enjoy your drawings.