"Add lightness."
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"Add lightness." on 11/23/2011 14:06:09 MST Print View

Colin Chapman, Brit developer of Lotus sports cars, was asked how he planned to make his cars faster. His response was, "Add lightness." (instead of adding larger, heavier, higher horsepower engines).

In the same manner that is exactly what backpackers on this site try to do - add lightness. We do it with multi-purpose gear, advanced materials like Cuben fabrics, carbon fiber, etc, and reducing true non-essentials.

And of course you SUL backpackers are the greatest proponents of adding lightness. You guys (I'm still UL) know this is the way to go for more enjoyment. Then there's the added benefits of fewer joint and muscle problems, greater mileage when desired, and fewer items to keep track of in camp.

So keep on with your quest to "Add lightness".

Edited by Danepacker on 11/23/2011 14:07:30 MST.

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
adding lightness on 11/27/2011 14:48:33 MST Print View

That really is true about Chapmann. His F-1 cars in the 80's were underpowered and got poor fuel mileage. That kind of is me in a way. Out of shape, so I make it easier by going lighter.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Add lightness on 02/15/2012 04:51:14 MST Print View

So does this mean a dry bag full of helium is next?

Mo Jackson
(MoJack) - F
Re: Add lightness on 02/20/2012 13:11:51 MST Print View

LOL...That might not be a bad idea!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
HELIUM... on 10/22/2012 16:04:17 MDT Print View

Helium! EUREKA! the answer to lighter packs.

And if it doesn't work you can at least inhale it and greet fellow hikers with a wierd sounding "Hello Earthmen! Take me to your leader."

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Re: HELIUM... on 12/02/2012 08:13:00 MST Print View

I can see it now... The balloon pack frame!

Nelson Sherry
(nsherry61)

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley
Adding lightening balloons on 12/02/2012 18:54:14 MST Print View

Already being made and marketed for avalanche safety. Just need to add helium cartridges. ;)