Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
secret weapon on 12/07/2011 18:15:54 MST Print View

Photobucket

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 12/07/2011 20:42:08 MST Print View

Awesome Mike!

Whatever keeps you in the game right? I'm not sure I would have it in me to take a drill and screws to my kicks. I have a pair of Kahtoola Microspikes that would fit you perfectly (Size L). If you're interested in them let me know and we can arrange something as long as you promise to put a point back in them when you're done. ;-)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 12/08/2011 08:03:51 MST Print View

Eugene- these shoes are on their downward slide, I'd be more hesitant w/ a new pair :) if these don't provide enough grip I just might hit you up on your offer- microspikes are probably something I should invest regardless

in other injury news :( my right achilles tendon is pretty aggravated- it started w/ an audible clicking I noticed when walking around the house- no pain however, now it's ramped up a bit and causing some pain- not shooting pain, just an aggravating pain

I started icing it last night and will continue w/ icing- also taking some ibuprofen, I've got two days of rest scheduled in- will reassess on Saturday

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 12/08/2011 08:20:19 MST Print View

Edited by asandh on 02/13/2012 20:34:32 MST.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Run log on 12/08/2011 20:38:08 MST Print View

Having some experience running in a few mountain ultras that pack in the climbs, I feel that time on the feet is a better index of how we'll fare in the canyon not mileage so much. That being said the two aren't independent of one another either. Vertical gain and descent conditioning are also a big part of this sort of run. If this is a problem look to Michael Wardian for inspiration the guy has a treadmill in his basement and will bump up the incline while his kids play and watch TV with him. He seems to have fared well against a lot of guys who run in the actual mountains.

Anyhow, I keep a pretty steady run log on DailyMile, so I'll go back and start from a few weeks ago:

Key:
M/T/W/Th/F/S/Su = Total miles; Time
##: miles
T:Trail
R:Road
Tempo: Pace to slight discomfort, but small talk is still possible
(####'):Total Climbing (estimated based on back logs; plan to log this more carefully in the coming months)

11/14 - 9(1250')T/7(1100')T/8(1200')T/8(1200')T/0/13(400')R/13(400')R = 57mi; 7h 36m
11/21 - 12 (1200')/8(1200')/8(1200')/0/7(1100')/13(500')R/13(500')R = 61mi; 7h 55m
11/28 - 7(1100')/8(1200')/0/3(100')/6(500')/15T(1000')/22T(2500') = 60mi; 8h 51m
12/5 - 0/8(1200')T/9(400')TempoR/9(400')RTempo)/10(1000')T/16(2000'')T/12(1000')T = 64mi; 8h 36m
12/12 - 5(700')T/0/4(100)R/0/0/0/28mi(1400')R/T Marathon Fat-ass (3:53;1st place Overall) = 37mi; 5h 04m (marathon taper & holiday travel week)
12/19 - 0/0/0/0/5R(negligible)/4TempoR(600')/4TempoR(600')/0 = 20 mi; 2h 50m - Taking some time to recover from Sunday's Marathon hoping to pick up late this week and start to log training in earnest for the R2R2R in January.
12/26 - 0/5(700')T/6(800')T/9(1000')T/8(950')T/8(950')T/9(1200')T = 45mi; 6h 19m
01/02 - 7.5(900')T/7.5(900')T/7.5(850')T/0/5(1000')T/10.5(1200')T/7(2500')T - 45mi; 6h 44m
1/9 - 0/0/0/5.5(900')T/6.5(1000')T+4(800')T// = mi; h m

Training Log Here

Edited by hewinsd on 02/25/2012 15:41:22 MST.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Ankle on 12/08/2011 21:12:12 MST Print View

I read a little of the ankle talk and my advice would be rest and ice. A few years back (and in my haste) I ran a relay segment on an already sore ankle. I ended up tearing a tendon at its insertion point to the foot. The worst part of this was I still had a mile to run before I could hand off to my teammate - I clenched my jaw and pushed through the pain, but I ended up paying for it with a few weeks on a crutch. I ended up doing a lot of laps in the pool to keep active. Taping is good for minor injuries or assisting in alignment, but when you're really hurting the best bet is to take few extra rest days and let things rebuild... Heal well.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

week of 12/5 on 12/11/2011 15:01:48 MST Print View

I finally hit four runs and 20 miles! :)

my ankle feels like it's 100%, my achilles feels better, but not 100%

I found a way to tape for achilles tendonitis- seems to help, I'm going to get some of the Kinesio tape as it looks like it might work better than athletic tape

one of my runs was a road run (actually the side of the road off of the asphalt) that includes a pretty decent long hill, pretty slow going up, but down is another story- actually felt like I was running :)

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

KT Tape on 12/11/2011 17:56:08 MST Print View

Hey Mike - Glad to hear you're feeling better. I use KT tape whenever my patellar tendonitis flairs up. Here are a few things I've learned about it: Make sure you get a fresh roll (I have had good luck buying from "Isokinetics" a seller on Amazon). You don't need to shave the area of application, but what you really do need to do is put it on right (before bed is usually when I apply it) and let the tape cure. I have had problems with it slowly coming unstuck if I put it on within an hour or two of a run. If you pat it dry after showers it should survive for ~3 days. I've also trimmed strips if they seem too long for a certain application - make sure if you trim it that you round the edges. I also suggest watching the specific application videos on the KT tape site or youtube. Happy taping!

Edited by hewinsd on 12/11/2011 18:15:34 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

tape on 12/11/2011 18:14:38 MST Print View

Dan- thanks for the tips, I did watch a couple of their videos- the tape looks like it forms better than athletic tape

I see they have a H2O rocktape as well, same price, might stay on better w/ running in the snow, showering, etc????

of course I am deeply drawn to the flying skull tape! :)

Photobucket

Mike

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

tape on 12/11/2011 18:26:36 MST Print View

Mike- Yes, the tape is supposed to have the same elasticity constant as skin, so in theory when applied correctly (basically how tight you lay the tape down; see vids) it will stretch along with your skin and provide some extra support. It has worked for me in a few spots when I've needed it. I almost always apply the tape below my knee caps if I am racing a marathon or longer rather than have issues mid-race. It has a barely there feel.

I have always relied on the "KT" brand because that is the first brand I tried. KT and the Kinesio brand seem to be the companies that are most popular and visible at competitions (i.e., sponsors etc). I know a lot of tri-atheletes/swimmers use KT, but they may also reapply daily. I have not heard of Rocktape, but that doesn't mean they're not just as good.

Happy running!

Edited by hewinsd on 12/11/2011 18:27:38 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: week of 12/5 on 12/11/2011 20:44:52 MST Print View

Good on you for hitting that next level Mike. Keep it up, stay healthy and uninjured.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: week of 12/5 on 12/12/2011 13:24:26 MST Print View

nice mike, good to hear. Now i'm the only one who is still sidelined.

do you have a link for the wrapping method you are using? i'd like to give it a try.

been keeping up with RICE, although I still have to be up and about so its not total rest, and i think that's my main problem. Every day at some point i put some real stress on the ankle and it hurts like a b***h again for an hour.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: week of 12/5 on 12/12/2011 17:11:08 MST Print View

ben- that sucks!

been this is what I used, called the "Mulligan" wrap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjKhf-qDJU

sounds like my sprain was a lot milder than yours, there are several other ankle taping methods that provide more support- they might be more advantageous for you????

if anyone gets mild achilles tendonitis this is the method I used in taping for it- I used regular athletic tape the KT or rocktape looks like it would be better yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLtD8zqZ_m0

mike

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Training with Purpose on 12/14/2011 19:30:31 MST Print View

On what is perhaps my favorite blog, The Logic of Long Distance, Jeff recently posted a followup to an earlier post entitled "Rethinking How to Train". I think any athlete could benefit from the wisdom imparted here, but especially (obviously) runners.
Part 1:
http://thelogicoflongdistance.blogspot.com/2011/10/rethinking-how-to-train.html
Part 2:
http://thelogicoflongdistance.blogspot.com/2011/12/rethinking-how-to-train-continued.html

One thing I have gleaned from the two of these posts, that I have been trying to incorporate in my runs: Purpose.

I often (maybe too often) run simply to run. No real goal, no game plan, no set idea about what I will be training for on that day, or how that particular run fits into the bigger picture. Aside from the obvious- general fitness- I run to run, because I love it, because it makes me feel good.

As of late, I have been thinking quite a bit about purpose when running and have tried to develop a new habit. Prior to each run, as I lace shoes, rummage around for my ever disappearing favorite beanie, I try to bring one question into focus: What am I running for today?

The answer shifts, but lately, it has simply been to maintain a base (my "real" training for the R2R2R will begin January). Even so, while reaffirming such a general goal, it brings things into focus and becomes a sort of meditation that in turn brings purpose to the run: I am doing this today so that my body will be prepared to accept harder work in the months to come.

It may sound small, but I find it helps a great deal.

As an amateur athlete, it is very easy to get lost in self-doubt, laziness, excuses. Nobody forces us to do this. If I don't wake up at 5AM for my Saturday morning long run nobody cares. In fact, I have every reason not to go; cooking pancakes for the kids, sleeping in, coffee in the backyard with my wife...

Every runner knows it can be a tough to get out the door at times. It's hot, it's cold, it's raining, I'm too full, I'm too hungry, I'm too....I think sometimes we just run on faith, perhaps stubbornness, or even stupidity.

But by incorporating these short meditations, bringing my attention back to the bigger picture and how this specific run fits into it, the first steps are that much easier.

Edited by xnomanx on 12/14/2011 20:38:24 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Training with Purpose on 12/15/2011 12:57:12 MST Print View

thanks Craig :) I really liked this quote "Training and training effect is series of applying stress and your base fitness level going down; and taking recovery and let the base fitness to come up and go beyond. It's the wave of this activity."

I too am attempting to get a decent base (got a long ways to go!), but I do try to incorporate purpose as well- one I'm trying to vary things- mileage, time on the ground, terrain, elevation gain/loss, etc

I'm also trying to insure that I don't get ahead of myself (riding the wave too long) and getting decent recovery time-injuries seem to be insuring this thus far! :(

Lastly I'm making sure it's fun and interesting, finding new trails and making new loops, running off trail, taking in the landscape and wildlife, relaxing

I think as the mileage increases these will become even more important

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

microspikes on 12/17/2011 13:39:53 MST Print View

just got a $20 off Moosejaw coupon and purchased a pair of Microspikes :)

I'm thinking, depending on conditions obviously, that they might be handy to have in the pack for the run in April?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 12/17/2011 14:28:37 MST Print View

Great Mike.

I'm hoping that Spikes won't be necessary in mid April, but you never know. You'll get some good use out of them either way.

We've received more moisture than usual for this time of year in southern NM, but projected long term climate predictions for our region (AZ,TX,NM) are forecasting above average temps and below normal precipitation.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Microspikes Rock. on 12/17/2011 19:51:06 MST Print View

I'll be packin' my steel if there's word of ice out there.

Based on where you live and what you do Mike, I'm surprised you haven't tried them sooner. I think you'll be impressed. Nice and grippy, flexible enough to run easily, but won't trip you or bleed you like a crampon can.

Edited by xnomanx on 12/17/2011 19:51:38 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Microspikes Rock. on 12/18/2011 08:03:12 MST Print View

I would guess there's a slim chance of needing microspikes for the R2R2R on April 14.

Edited by asandh on 02/13/2012 20:36:32 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

week of 12/12 summary on 12/18/2011 17:11:19 MST Print View

re microspikes- hope we don't need them, but nice to have them just in case :) I'll no doubt get use out of them here

my week of 12/12 was very good, a couple of firsts for me- first run of 10 miles (previous long was 8) and first week to break 20 miles (got 20 even last week)

the weather for this time of year has been stellar (Sat and Sun both in the 40's!), I've done a little exploring and have added some more "trail" to my existing loops- much of it is off trail, just kind of fun running new places and making new loops

pretty much injury free this week, so that's good

anywho still got a long way to go, but am slowly and steadily chipping at it

question on training, I'm going into my 5th "official" week of training- is there a point I should consider cycling down for a week? I'm definitely a little on the sore side, no injuries, but sore

also Thom I see you have 12/12 and 12/19 marked down as injury- what happened?

Mike