Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
NM on 03/23/2012 08:49:38 MDT Print View

NM, video link is gone.

Edited by xnomanx on 03/23/2012 17:57:32 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Kooks and Mountain Lions and Heroics on 03/23/2012 09:04:29 MDT Print View

I'm going for a run up one of my favorite canyons yesterday, 11.5 miles of boulder hopping, log jumping, and stream crossings in the fading evening light.

As I'm rounding a bend, a man in street clothes is bolting down the canyon, a wild look in his eyes, covered in sweat. He's yelling something at me from 50 yards out.

"Mountain lion!".

"What?"

"There's a mountain lion right around the corner up there!"

"Really?"

"I think it's feeding on something. That's why I'm running."

The guy looks a little off to me. Though, he is sweating profusely and he genuinely panicked.

"So where is it?"

"On the left, right around the next bend. I wouldn't go if I were you!"

"OK, thanks."

I go investigate.

No mountain lions. I continue my run. Another runner catches me a mile later.

"Did you run into the guy raving about the mountain lion?" I ask.

"I wouldn't have this rock in my hand if I didn't."

I see him turn back in another mile. I continue for 4 more miles, returning home through the canyon in the dark. I wonder about being eaten by a lion. I'd go for the thumb gouge into its eyes...if I could. Maybe I'd be a hero, covered in bite marks, dragging its corpse out in the night as evidence. The media would be contact me. MAN KILLS MOUNTAIN LION WITH BARE HANDS.

Or maybe I'd be disemboweled by a giant cat beside the stream. That's more likely. At least I'd be going out like a warrior. Or prey. But I suppose it would make for a more interesting obituary than choking to death on a Frito or dying of a stroke in Denny's at age 73.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Kooks and Mountain Lions and Heroics on 03/23/2012 09:36:30 MDT Print View

I like your attitude Craig.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Thumb gouge on 03/23/2012 10:44:01 MDT Print View

Craig, dude. Cats smash their massive weight onto the back, instantly slamming prey into the ground while they crush the spine from behind. All the while, they are gouging the throat and chest with like 16 of their own knife-sharp "thumbs". It's not uncommon for prey to strike vicously at their face with hooves and antlers in attempt to escape.

But dont get me wrong, your thumb gouging idea is a good one! That'll get 'em for sure! Oh, and enjoy those night trail runs out there...all alone..in the darkness.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
lions, coyotes and ............ on 03/23/2012 12:41:28 MDT Print View

Craig always has the most interesting runs :) where I run is pretty prime habitat for lions, I've seen some sign here and there, but haven't spied one yet running- probably just a matter of time; I do see coyotes regularly though, not the bold packs like Craig has encountered- in MT coyotes tend to run (fast) when they get a whiff of man

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Kooks and Mountain Lions and Heroics on 03/23/2012 12:53:58 MDT Print View

It's nice to see that Craig's mind is so active when he hikes.Fantasy

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle)
Re: on 03/23/2012 13:48:08 MDT Print View

I'm sad that I didn't come across this earlier.
I'll be hiking the R2R2R in April, but won't be ready to run it. If anyone is interested in running it in October - let me know!
I'm going to be training for it, but would rather do it with friends than alone! I can't get anyone I know to do it with me (I tried). I guess I don't know the right people. Haha.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 03/23/2012 14:02:42 MDT Print View

Travis,

Come out and hang with everyone, there will be ~20 people strong, some of us will be running, others hiking.

April 14th.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle)
Re: on 03/23/2012 14:41:44 MDT Print View

Eugene - I wish! It's an 8 hour drive from San Diego. I'll be hiking it April 27th-30th.
I'm hoping that some of those who couldn't make it this time could get together for it after summer. :}
I am going to train for and use the Cuyamaca 3 Peaks 50K to prepare for the R2R2R.
http://www.cuyamaca3peaks.com/Resources/Profile%20Cuyamaca%203%20Pks%2050K.pdf

I've also got a 1,000ft elevation gain over 1.5 mi switchback trail up a "mountain" 10 minutes from my house. I'm planning to run up and down that with a 20lb weight vest. I think I'll try to keep records of my times from bottom to top to keep myself interested via breaking personal records for speed (since I'll surely be sick of the scenery).

Edited by travis.bickle on 03/23/2012 14:44:00 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Kooks and Mountain Lions and Heroics on 03/23/2012 17:00:56 MDT Print View

"But I suppose it would make for a more interesting obituary than choking to death on a Frito or dying of a stroke in Denny's at age 73."

But not as interesting as a guy that died far up in the mountains while running a trail marathon at the age of 80. ;)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

fall run on 03/23/2012 19:10:59 MDT Print View

Travis I know Thom (had to pull the pin on this run due to injury) made mention of a fall run, I'm sure if you posted a thread a few months ahead you'll get some interest- worked for Eugene :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: on 03/23/2012 19:26:46 MDT Print View

travis - are you talking about Cowles Mt. ?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

sick :( on 03/25/2012 14:27:23 MDT Print View

started getting sick after my long run last Sat, had a full blown chest flu (killer cold??) by Sun- was down for the count through Thursday- got alight lift in Friday, my run on Sat was short and not fun, Sun was better :) Now my poor wife is down for the count

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 03/25/2012 14:58:26 MDT Print View

Hang in there Mike! I hope you and your wife have a full and speedy recovery soon.

I don't know about you all but spring is in full effect here. Finally managed to get in some heat "conditioning", temps got up to 86F on my run today. I only got out for 2.5 hours, but it was all steep climbing (3,600'), by the time I was done I had concentric salt rings on my hat and clothing, followed by a nice cramp that took forever to release back at the trailhead during my post run stretching.

I get cramps in my inner thigh (abductor) fairly regularly on longer runs with hard climbing, even staying on top of salt and hydration isn't always enough to keep them at bay. It is usually the only area that I experience cramps. Like clockwork, if I severely high step and/or lift my knee up towards my chest I can usually trigger a cramp in that area. I'm starting to think that I have poor mobility in this area and need to develop this area. It's definitely a weak point for me and one that I want to shake.

Any thoughts or experience folks?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 03/25/2012 15:20:01 MDT Print View

Eugene - you could become a plodder and run like me. I barley lift my legs at all, problem solved. of course I tend to trip a lot.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 03/25/2012 15:32:23 MDT Print View

Art,

It's funny you should mention "plodding", aka "ultra shuffle", because I actually think it is that very motion that contributes to my cramps occasionally. I'm blaming it on my lack of mobility and wooden legs.

It will be very interesting to see how things shake out climbing back up SK with all those high steps and fatigued leg muscles.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's"@ Eugene on 03/25/2012 16:55:09 MDT Print View

"Any thoughts or experience folks?"

That particular cramp bedeviled me throughout my entire running and climbing careers. It has to be one of the most painful cramps around, IME. I found stretching to help but not to be the whole answer. What really had a noticeable effect for me was taking magnesium supplements. It is probably the most overlooked electrolyte and it is easy to not get enough in your diet. I currently take in about 500 mg from dietary sources and supplements. Might be worth a try. I am assuming you are adequately hydrated and electrolyte-ed otherwise,ie sodium, potassium, and calcium. Good luck, Eugene. That particular cramp is a grade A bummer.

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle)
Re: Cowles Mt. on 03/26/2012 11:20:50 MDT Print View

Art - Yeah, I was referring to Cowles! I ran 8-10 miles yesterday around Mission Trails and up and down Cowles Mt.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Final Long Training Run for RRR on 03/26/2012 11:36:28 MDT Print View

Three weeks out is the perfect time for the final "long" training run for the RRR.
just enough time to recovery and be stronger than ever.

Saturday was Old Goats 50.
Best thing I can say is that I finished, and had no major issues.
It is billed as one of the hardest 50 milers in the country.
With over 13,000 of gain, it was the hardest 50 I've done.
Perfect warmup for R2R2R.
I was a steady plodder all day long, but had a serious case of the "slows".
Finished a full 45 min. behind where I expected to (unofficially 13'47").
The closest I have ever come to the cutoff in any race so far.
But, perfect weather, and lots of fun.
John came in about 17 minutes ahead of me, he'll be at RRR too.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 03/26/2012 12:16:54 MDT Print View

@Tom,

You know exactly the cramp I'm talking about and yes, it is a GRADE A bummer when they creep in. Thanks for the magnesium advice. I'm fairly sure I get adequate magnesium in my daily intake of food and such, but it is worth looking into.

@Art,

50 miles IS long sir! Well done. +13,000' of climbing to boot, prime conditioning for R2R2R, sure makes my measly short/climbing run yesterday look like a walk in the mall. ;-) I will try to keep up with you April 14th. Considering all the injuries and setbacks that have plagued almost everyone at some point or another over the last several months, it's good to see people coming out on the other side ready and excited. Who cares if it's plodding, hiking, running, scrambling, as long as you're doing it under your own strength and taking something away from the experience at the end of the day.