2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
event on 02/19/2012 14:12:17 MST Print View

Eugene- looks like you guys pulled off a great event- congrats!

my training week went pretty good, I skipped my Thursday run w/ the thought it would boost my long Saturday run- it may have, but I made the mistake of hitting squats pretty hard on Friday so my quads were pretty trashed on Saturday. I won't make that mistake again next week and will try skipping Thursday again.

Eugene- check your email, sent you a short message- thanks

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/19/2012 16:16:00 MST Print View

Looks like a fun, successful day Eugene.
even a low key event is a lot of work.
Great job.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/20/2012 09:16:25 MST Print View

Thanks fellas, it was incredible fun watching people come in with smiles, tears, blood and scrapes, every possible emotion. There was a gentleman in his late 70's who ran and he finished with a huge smile, nothing more inspiring and humbling than that in my book. I was on my feet working the race from 6am until 6pm and didn't realize how tired I was until after I got up from my seat at the brewery afterwards. Can I log those hours as time on my feet? ;-)

@Mike,

Send your stuff my way- PM sent. Also, my current email is: imeugeneius (at) gmail dot com

We're getting pretty close now aren't we? 7 weeks or so. Days are getting longer here and the trees and desert brusg are starting to bud and leaf a little. Ran this morning a little after 6 and didn't need my headlamp.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/20/2012 10:12:30 MST Print View

Did I miss the date this is happening? Is this just a bunch of people from BPL doing it or? Gimme details...please?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Event Details on 02/20/2012 10:20:22 MST Print View

Paul, Here's all the details:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55804&skip_to_post=510617#510617

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/20/2012 18:16:55 MST Print View

Good job Eugene. If I lived closer, I would've been out there to run it for sure.

Here we go folks; just under 8 weeks. The next I'll be trying to kick it up pretty good, leaving the last week and a half for rest.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

prognosis/tickets purchased on 02/20/2012 18:47:39 MST Print View

I finally got into a neurologist today, I indeed have a bulged disc (between c6/c7) and no surprise it's on the left side (that's where all my trouble is/was). As I'm now pain free and have no numbness or tingling and the only symptom currently is some weakness in my upper left quadrant -that appears to be improving (definitely not getting worse), he felt that surgery shouldn't even be considered. Told him I was running and he thought that was fine as long as it doesn't bring on pain. Encouraged me to keep lifting/exercising to encourage the motor nerves to heal. Anyway was glad I didn't have to contemplate surgery or make any major changes in my life style.

With that got my tickets ordered today :)

Grand Canyon here I come!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/20/2012 22:31:11 MST Print View

Mike is game!

Edited by Eugeneius on 02/20/2012 22:32:29 MST.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Good Luck on 02/21/2012 05:06:25 MST Print View

Good luck, guys. I'm envious. Looking forward to seeing the report afterward!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/24/2012 00:00:01 MST Print View

Hope everyone's running is good. I'm enjoying myself out here.

Mike, you've come a ways! I was looking at your log and remembering your excitement at your first 20 mile week...now you're consistently logging over 30. Good on you, hope it's all going OK still.

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
training on 02/24/2012 05:34:51 MST Print View

hellos! heres a neat article i found that may be good for the guys who dont have lotsa hills n mtns around. :) The bottom half of the page tells what workouts to do ta build your uphill strength if u dont have mtns. The very bottom, for stabilizer muscles is super important. Ya need those lil guys to keep you from gettin hurt out here

heres tha link http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=19742

Edited by everyday on 02/24/2012 15:10:13 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
North Kaibab Info on 02/24/2012 09:40:23 MST Print View

torrey
I've been on North Kaibab twice but my memory is a bit foggy.
are there two houses along that trail?
which one is the "pump house" ?
who lives in the one nearest the Roaring Springs turnoff ?

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
R2R2R on 02/24/2012 15:08:44 MST Print View

Well, ive only been as far as roaring springs, Thats where the pump house is, some painter guy lives there, never seen him. Theres also a cabin at Cottonwood camp, its where a ranger/rangers live n stay when doing trail work. those are the 2 ive seen after Phantom....now if theres another past the pumphouse I dunno, going with you guys will be the first time goin farther than that :)

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Run or hike? on 02/26/2012 07:41:54 MST Print View

Did a long trip up on the AT yesterday. Not that it matters but I'm having a tough time figuring out if it was a hike or a run. I fast walked all the flats and uphills but did an easy trot on the downhills. I ended up with a moving averaging of 3.8mph which is my fastest hike but my slowest run. But I learned a couple of things.
1) I had been going back and forth on what pack or belt to take. I have that decided. I took my MLD Burn and tied the compression loops on the back together and it end up making a fanny pack with shoulder straps. Very comfortable and I will take this on the R2R2R. It nice because that pack and I have been through a lot together.
2) This may make trail runners cringe but I am going to take trekking poles. I did over 10k in elevation gain yesterday and the trekking poles allowed me to glide on the downhills and power the uphills. Given the R2R2R only has two hills I can always chose to stow them if they become a hinderance on the downhills.
3) My trip last almost 12 hours and I trialed the food that I had planned on taking. 1800 calories of Malto and the same in various candy bars. I was pretty disciplined in doing 300 calories per hour and I maintained energy the whole 40 miles. In fact it was the strongest 40 miler that I have done. I also took electrolytes as I did on my thru hike and I also did a healthy dose at the end and it was effective in keeping any cramping at bay.

One final thought. I have suggested to a few 2012 PCT hikers to trail run vs. hike in training if they are pressed for time. Based on my experience yesterday I think there that was solid advice. I am actually a much stronger hiker this year than last in spite of this being the only hike over 10 miles in the last six months.

Edited by gg-man on 02/27/2012 08:06:57 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Run or hike? on 02/26/2012 08:46:50 MST Print View

Wow Greg, I'd say you are doing great and ready for the R2R2R as is..
A lot of ultra running is actually power hiking, and your overall pace is pretty good.
Some ultra races allow hiking poles and some runners do use them, Wasatch 100 and Hardrock 100 come to mind. Karl Meltzer even uses them on occassion.
From your PCT experience, you have your nutrition dialed in like few I've seen.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

trekking poles on 02/26/2012 18:40:52 MST Print View

Greg- I've thought about trekking poles too, haven't made my mind up yet though

as far as packs, I think I'm going w/ my Talon 4 lumbar pack (possibly my 5.5 daypack)

while I didn't get a lot of running in this past week I consider it a good week, my runs on Wed and Sun were weathered out and I hit the stairmaster- this piece of machinery continues to kick my ar$e; Thursday and Friday my wife and I got away for a couple of days of x-country skiiing- this also thoroughly kicked my ar$e- so in summary a good week of getting my ar$e kicked :)

this doesn't sound like much, but I finally tried doing pushups again (have been doing them against the wall or on my knees) and was able to get 3 sets of 20- a long, long way from where I was before the impingement, but I can't tell you how good it felt to be able to do pushups again!

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/26/2012 21:42:10 MST Print View

You're a machine Greg, awesome time on the trail! Running? Hiking? Poles? Doesn't really matter yeah, as long as you complete the distance you've set out to run and enjoy yourself out there in April, which it sounds like you will be prime for a good double crossing with training runs like yesterday.

I was telling Craig in an email this week that I have a healthy amount of nervousness mixed with a stronger dose of excitement, it's getting close. These next 6 weeks are crunch time and hopefully I will be ready for an enjoyable experience. One thing is for sure I will be scraping the bottom of the barrel climbing up S. Kaibab. Today was a solid 20 mile run for me and Dan with some steep climbing thrown in and some downhill running for the last 5 miles, but our time on the feet was 3.5 hours, so not a long run that benefits being on the feet for 4x that duration come April 14th, but still fitness building I think. Fitting in the slower weekend long runs is killing me! Its hard to get out for the extended time. I feel like I'm juggling 5 balls at once and dropping 3 of them by the end of the week. Hopefully this upcoming weekend plan work out, we're shooting for a ~30 mile run this coming up Sunday up in the Sacramento Mountains, starting from the Tularosa basin at 4,000' and getting up around 8,000+', then turning around and re-running our steps back down. Fun.

You all are inspiring me to keep on trucking!

I haven't even begun to dial in gear, most likely going with 2 handhelds, and my running pack. I'm toying with the idea of throwing in x2 24oz. bottles inside my pack in place of the bladder, for ease in refilling at the water stops. Bladders in general are a pain in the as$. I'll have my game plan dialed in before hand, but right now just keeping it together.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/29/2012 12:43:05 MST Print View

I just wanted to check in and let you all know that you guys rock.

That is all.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/29/2012 12:51:07 MST Print View

Eugene just saw in previuos post a plan to run at 8,000ft. are you getting that altitude in often? a big help come RRR day.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"2012 R2R2R Group - Training Log's" on 02/29/2012 13:25:10 MST Print View

No Art, I really wish that were the case.

I live at ~4,000' and have access to several running/hiking trails locally that top out around 7,000', highest point in our valley is 8,990' (Organ Needle). The route leading up to Organ Needle gains ~3,690' from the TH, but the majority of the ascent is Class 3 scrambling, so not exactly running terrain other than the lower 1/3 of the 6.8 mile round trip route. A good workout either way.

It's a relatively short (1-2hr.) drive to mountains in the 10,000-11,000' range, but we don't typically make the effort to get out for those runs....gas and time of course! Our run on Sunday will top out around 9,200' if trail conditions are relatively clear up top.

Here's a link:

http://www.explorenm.com/hikes/DogCanyon/

The full route:

http://m.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=7F4DEADD394C208B06A0466D7C87353B?fileId=xxcykjgmjomyyspf

We're planning to go beyond the top of Dog Canyon to Sunspot (National Solar Observatory) and retrace our steps back down. Dog Canyon replicates the climb from the Colorado River to the N. Rim fairly well I think.

5,409' ascent, roughly equivalent descent. 26 miles round trip.