Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » vertical vs horizontal baffles

Display Avatars Sort By:
William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
vertical vs horizontal baffles on 11/21/2011 12:06:33 MST Print View

any reason not to do vertical baffles ? my though is it would control the down from sliding more ? and I want my quilt too look different =D is there any reasons not to use vertical baffles running head to foot instead of horizontal baffles ?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: vertical vs horizontal baffles on 11/21/2011 12:25:15 MST Print View

The advantage of horizontal baffles is that if it's cold, you can shift the down into the center and tightly tuck the empty ends of the baffles under your body. When it's warmer, you can shift the down into the ends of the baffles and have a thinner top to keep you from overheating. A derivative of karo baffles seem to be the best of both worlds. If it's down drift at the edges that you want to restrict, you can change the dimensions of the baffles there to better control the down.

William Zila

hmm on 11/21/2011 12:32:50 MST Print View

good point Eugene my idea was to do the baffles on each edge sewn through with less down. I see the concept of what your describing but my thought would be as soon as your roll or move the down will just slide back down.. i do love karo baffles

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Shifting on 11/21/2011 12:32:56 MST Print View

I've never got the 'shifting down to the sides if you're too warm' thing. I want the baffles to be full, with no chance of the down shifting and causing cold spots. If the down can move, then the baffles are underfilled imo. If i'm getting too warm, i'll remove some clothes or stick an arm or leg out.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Shifting on 11/21/2011 13:01:15 MST Print View

Mike, down is easier to shift when you first pull out the quilt. It's a lot harder to move after the down lofts completely.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Shifting down on 11/21/2011 13:10:08 MST Print View

I've had underfilled bags in the past. I'm a restless side sleeper, and sometimes i've woken up cold as there was no down on my top hip. Gravity shifts it downward during the night. Maybe not a problem if you sleep on your back all night. That's my experience anyway.

William Zila

down shifting on 11/21/2011 13:22:20 MST Print View

I agree with you 100% mike the only baffles i found that allow you to move down and it stays are Karo baffles but in my opinion its more hype then actual performance. I've had the same experience with down falling off my shoulders and hips that's why i think vertical baffles will work better since the down can't slide to the side

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
baffles on 11/21/2011 13:44:18 MST Print View

I agree, I want the baffles full since I roll around. I would like to try baffles going from head to foot because I think they would fit the body much better and conform to it. Baffles going side to side have to bend against the "grain". I think that is why Valandre makes their bags the way they do with the curved bell ideas.