Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarptent Notch
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: so mesh can hold water out? on 01/16/2012 15:49:48 MST Print View

Nah. With condensation and high winds I have experienced droplets hitting the mesh and dispersing through as a spray.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 01/16/2012 19:44:40 MST.

Lapsley Hope
(Laps) - M
+1 on the idea of a partial or solid inner liner on 01/18/2012 14:09:00 MST Print View

I really enjoy my Scarp 1 and would look forward to having a similar, or partial, inner liner on the Notch.

Edited by Laps on 01/18/2012 14:09:54 MST.

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Locale: San Francisco bay area
yeah I think a solid inner option good idea on 01/18/2012 16:30:48 MST Print View

So I've never owned a fully-mesh inner so I spent last week+ searching BPL and other forums to figure out what it would be like. As far as I can tell it is a GOOD thing in warm climates, but a BAD thing in cold climates. A solid inner is barely any weight difference, according to some, a slightly heavier according to others, depends on the fabric. When you look at the added weight, and the quoted temperature increase inside/outside its a worthwhile weight/benefit to have solid inner, vs say a warmer sleeping system.

I also think I know why my TN LC was so damp it had no venting on the outer near the roof. I see the Scarp has these and the Notch does too. A few tents back I had a Coleman Viper and it had mesh with a flap cover on a single-hoop and it didn't suffer damp as much as the TN LC.

So, without buying/trying, as far as I can tell, making a solid inner option, inclusive of the roof, like the Scarp would be a good option to take the Notch down into cooler conditions with a good weight penalty relative to a heavier sleeping bag.

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

any news on solid inner for Tarptent Notch? on 02/15/2012 09:43:36 MST Print View

Any news on a solid inner option for Tarptent Notch?

For colder situations.

Also a solid including the overhead with some high-sided side mesh plus a velcro roll-back to expose mesh at the ends.

Robert Richey
(BobR) - M

Locale: San Luis Obispo
But has anybody used it? on 02/16/2012 12:20:50 MST Print View

This really a nice design. The two vestibules, reduced condensation, and option to set up fly first in storms makes it tempting to get in lieu of The One which I have otherwise been happy with. But I have as yet not seen any field reports. I know what month it is, barely, but has anybody south of the equator or on the west coast taken this out for a test drive?

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Re: But has anybody used it? on 02/16/2012 12:26:40 MST Print View

Yes David Ure stated on 2/4 he has

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59173

"The Notch has proven to be the idea shelter for me for 3 season treks. There are no issues with the pegs you mention Nigel - for all intents and purposes, this is a 2 skin Moment (a little larger overall). You can also pitch with the fly almost to the ground so breezes can be minimized.

The tent is bloody brilliant."

Robert Richey
(BobR) - M

Locale: San Luis Obispo
Notch on 02/16/2012 20:01:10 MST Print View

Well "bloody brilliant" is what I look for. Thanks.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tarptent Notch Solid Inner on 02/22/2012 17:16:31 MST Print View

Hot off the press..
first pic of the "solid" inner :
TT Notch solid inner

It will be ready in about 3 weeks .
About 1.8oz/50g heavier .
(sorry, that was for the sample using heavier fabric. The real difference will be less)
Franco

Edited by Franco on 02/22/2012 18:29:20 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Tarptent Notch Solid Inner on 02/22/2012 17:22:35 MST Print View

Mmmmm.... Tasty

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Wow on 02/22/2012 17:43:39 MST Print View

Now I'm even MORE tempted to pick up a Notch. Can anyone make comparisons vs the duomid? Obviously there is less space, but I'm curious about wind-worthiness.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Tarptent Notch Solid Inner on 02/22/2012 18:31:31 MST Print View

Yes, shipping by mid March. Actual weight difference is/will be just about 1 ounce/30g. This sample interior weight is skewed because we used standard 1-ounce mesh not the 0.7-mesh we will use for production (and use now for the regular mesh interior).

This is the same calendared, windproof, highly water resistant nylon we use in the Scarp. It's noticeably warmer in this interior when the wind is blowing. The other upsides are that you can definitely leave one or both vestibules fully open in the rain without fear of splash or runoff entering the interior and this is a much better interior for blowing dust environments.

-H

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Wow on 02/22/2012 18:38:16 MST Print View

Without the inner tent, the Notch has more usable room than the DuoMid.

It also sets up rock solid, like the DuoMid.

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Re: Tarptent Notch Solid Inner on 02/22/2012 19:25:45 MST Print View

OOh. This makes the Notch even more useful. I assume the ordering online will be like for the Scarp you can buy mesh / solid / both inners?

Now the concern still in my mind, noting I am limited by experience, that I've only ever used dual-skin UK type tents, is the degree of insulation you get from all that mesh in the upper half of the inner. I assume if I can see through it water from condensation can pass through it and heat from the person inside will pass easily through it. There does need to be some mesh to keep condensation from the human causes down.

Also, the new solid inner design, what is happening at the ends obscured in the photo? Are the ends solid, mesh or solid which rolls+velcros back revealing mesh? My preference is as much flexibility as possible, I much prefer to own 1 shelter and just tune it at pitch time to the conditions. I like the way the Notch can be pitched "high" for airy or "low" for windy/cold so some tuning of roll-away solid to reveal mesh helps enormously.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: Tarptent Notch Solid Inner on 02/22/2012 20:15:47 MST Print View

> I assume the ordering online will be like for the Scarp you can buy mesh / solid / both inners?

Yes.

> what is happening at the ends obscured in the photo? Are the ends solid, mesh or solid which rolls+velcros back revealing mesh?

Solid fabric. The end venting will still come from the fly end vents if you need it. You can certainly leave the fly end vents open and not worry about any wind hitting your head or any rain blowing in through the vents and finding the inside of the compartment.

Larry M
(Maethros) - MLife

Locale: Mid South
Re: Re: Tarptent Notch Solid Inner on 02/22/2012 20:16:12 MST Print View

Very nce! I'll definitely order one for my Notch. Perfect for the rainy weather here in Arkansas and when I go west to New Mexico this summer.

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

porch size on 02/22/2012 20:26:43 MST Print View

I can't tell from the schematics http://tarptent.com/photos/nt_dimensions.png

Will a package this size fit in the porch? My folding bike...

585mm high x 545mm long x 270mm wide (22.2" x 21.5" x 10.6"). I think it will fit as the porch at its deepest is 21" so a package 10.6" deep in a porch 108" wide will be only a little less deep at 10" from the porch centerline. It should fit comfortably.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Notch on 02/22/2012 22:02:27 MST Print View

Do you have a Minimal Brompton ?
If so it should fit.
Nothch and folding bike

The main box is set at 585H and at 270 from the pole but is 580 L
Given that the top of the bike folded does not reach 270cm out at the top outside corners (away from the pole) you should have a spare cm.
I would put a cloth over the folded handlebar
Note that a 72"x20" mat will fit (with extra room lengthwise) but a 25" wide will not in this configuration.
(the pole is set slightly inward...)
Franco

BTW my bike does not fitnotch and trike

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Re: Tarptent Notch on 02/22/2012 22:24:49 MST Print View

Yes a Brompton. Its my fave bike-touring-camping bike as I can use bus/train and get more variety in the trip (also don't own a car, something has to pay for all this outdoor kit!)

Thanks Franco for creating virtual Brompton. Yes I bag it to protect from condensation and any sharp corners of the flysheet. Here is mine squeezing into the Laser Comp I'm thinking of migrating to Notch (two vestibules being of the most interest, followed by more headroom for long-nights)

http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/NigelHealy/Brompton/Lakes%20Sept%2011/?action=view&current=DSCN4163.mp4

Currently I have to push the bike to the side to escape the tent, in a Notch I can put Brompton upwind side and cook downwind side.

Also the Notch's packed size interests me, it looks smaller than the Laser Comp which = small bag = less aero drag. Here's my ideal packing volume

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/NigelHealy/Brompton/Lakes%20April%2008/DSC00286.jpg

and another shot of bike in tent to show the tight porch space issue
http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/NigelHealy/Brompton/Lakes%20April%2008/?action=view&current=DSC00292.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/NigelHealy/Brompton/Lakes%20April%2008/DSC00293.jpg

Oh... and a reminder why bike inside your tent is preferred

http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/NigelHealy/Brompton/Lakes%20Sept%2011/?action=view&current=DSCN4168.mp4

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Notch on 02/22/2012 23:00:03 MST Print View

Yes , having one side for the bike and paniers will be handy...
As I suspected the top should not be a problem at all particularly having the saddle on the fly side.
Franco

Thomas Budge
(budgthom) - F

Locale: Idaho
ceiling on 02/22/2012 23:02:08 MST Print View

I'm a bit surprised the ceiling is mesh rather than solid.

I'm waiting to buy an SS2 when it comes with a solid inner option, and will be disappointed if the ceiling isn't solid. I hope its like the Scarp with just a little mesh on the upper sides.