Tarptent Notch
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Tarptent Notch on 11/21/2011 21:01:13 MST Print View

Wondering why this is under Gear Deals...is it going to be on sale at a reduced price for BPL Members?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tarptent Notch on 11/21/2011 21:32:29 MST Print View

I explained at the bottom of the initial post why it is in the Gear Deal section.
That was a bit cheeky and some may find it offensive but it was something that came to mind at the time.

About the "it looks like..."
No offence but Henry is busy looking at his own designs , what comes out is only a small part of the many others that for some reasons are never released.
As already mentioned , it really came from the Moment design using trekking poles rather than a tent pole and that is what it looks like.
The original design for the Moment also had vestibule space on either side.
Pip test

This is my mock up of one of Henry's early versions of the Moment.
(that is how I "guess" how a shelter will turn out...)
Franco

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Joke here on 11/21/2011 21:35:37 MST Print View

I know there's a joke here with the cat, but we won't go there. :)
Duane

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Height at the head and feet on 11/21/2011 21:49:47 MST Print View

> What is the height at the head and the feet? Floor to where the netting starts to angle?

Please take a look the dimensions shown here -->

http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html#specs (click "Show Dimensions")

-H

Edited by 07100 on 11/21/2011 21:51:01 MST.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Tarptent Notch on 11/21/2011 22:11:35 MST Print View

"I explained at the bottom of the initial post why it is in the Gear Deal section.
That was a bit cheeky and some may find it offensive but it was something that came to mind at the time."

Got it...thanks, Franco.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Notch on 11/21/2011 22:34:40 MST Print View

Duane
"I know there's a joke here with the cat, but we won't go there. :)"
Sometimes I do include a joke but in this case it was just Pip doing what she always did, play with my tents.
Pip died a few weeks ago , she was 18 and a half.

I still have her mother,Lucy, here she is testing my Exped DM 7
(this morning....)
Lucy's Rainbow

Franco

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Notch + on 11/22/2011 08:08:28 MST Print View

Wouldn't a Notch +1 just be the Stratospire 1?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Notch + on 11/22/2011 09:52:01 MST Print View

No. The SS1 and Notch have noticeably different configurations. THe SS1 is actually more a modified Mid where the fly is slightly offset from the inner tent. I think (pure speculation here) that the design would take snow loading better (the SS1). See the diagrams posted @ TT.

Franco can help more than I can here but the design of the SS1 is really quite unique.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: Re: Notch + on 11/22/2011 11:34:10 MST Print View

They may get there in different ways but as far as weight, floor space, size in a dual door, dual trekking staff, inner net tent, etc it is effectively one size up.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Decisions... on 11/22/2011 11:38:13 MST Print View

My problem is I was dead set on a Moment now I have a new choice :)

I am still thinking Moment because I don't use trekking poles and I really value ease of setup. I don't think there is or could be a more simple tent to setup than a Moment. Plus I like the little extra pocket of space in the Moment for my dog (18 lb terrier).

The only thing that temps me about the Notch is the dual wall and the ability to really open it up for ventilation.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Decisions... on 11/22/2011 12:15:59 MST Print View

I've used the TT Moment quite a bit over the past two years in the northern-central Sierra and have always been happy with it, but the two factors that you note as beneifits of the Notch, "...dual wall and ability to really open it up for ventilation," are exactly what I would change on the Moment. Like you, I do not use trekking poles and dislike the small diameter optional poles offered as a workaround due to their lack of steadiness especially when compared to actual trekking poles. I'm sticking with my Moment for now, but if TarpTent implemented the additional door for increased ventilation and double wall design into version 2 of the Moment, well then I'd be first in line to buy.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Pip on 11/22/2011 12:47:42 MST Print View

Sorry to hear about Pip, Franco.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Notch on 11/22/2011 16:54:47 MST Print View

Thanks Jacob, I miss her...

Alex
Re poles
I feel like you do about the substitute poles particularly because I use strong trekking poles (ie : not the CF type) and set my tents up very taut.
(maybe a reason why they don't fail for me...)
However I don't recall negative comments from people that use the substitute poles and judging by the Aussie orders I would say that there are several hundreds of people out there using them.
Anyway , what's up with not using trekking poles ?
Do you have an allergy or something ?
Franco

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Snow on 11/22/2011 17:12:33 MST Print View

Which of the 'Shires tents has the best snow loading?

I was thinking about a Scarp, but this looks interesting.

Thanks!

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Pole shy on 11/22/2011 18:47:22 MST Print View

Franco, sorry to hear about Pip, a good cat is a joy.
No trekking poles here either, they might be nice for high water crossings.
Duane

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Tarptent Notch on 11/22/2011 22:48:45 MST Print View

Now THIS is something I've been after for years! A trekking pole set up with a small, Moment-like footprint and dual doors. Fantastic!

Personally, the only thing that I'd like to add to the design is a solid or semi-solid fabric inner. One of the problems I often have here is fine dust and debris blowing in and mesh doesn't stop it. If there would be a possibility for a solid fabric inner... if not fully enclosed, then at least halfway up... then I'd spring for this design immediately. May I ask if this possibility is in the works, or if it might be possible to request it?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Notch on 11/22/2011 23:14:20 MST Print View

Miguel
Ask, ask...
but since you are asking, why the Notch and not the SS1 ?
Franco

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Tarptent Notch on 11/22/2011 23:19:56 MST Print View

I need the smaller footprint. That's the main reason I prefer the Notch. I already have a Duomid and can't justify another similar item at the moment.

Admittedly I haven't checked the footprints of the two in detail yet. Is there a big difference that way? Is the SS1 stronger wind-wise?

Edited by butuki on 11/22/2011 23:22:02 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Tarptent Notch on 11/22/2011 23:53:59 MST Print View

OK, I thought so...
Yes the SS1 is larger, both the floor area and the vestibules too.(35" deep vestibules...)
Not sure about wind performance.
I had moderate winds on it in the Aussie Alps (only 30kmph gusts, when I measured...) but the poles did not move one bit.
The SS1 should be as good if not better.
My mate has had his Moment in pretty strong winds in British Columbia 9Queen Charlotte Islands) and Minnesota so I am confident that having the same end and using strong trekking poles it will do well too.
I was a bit concerned about the size of the SS2 (having used almost exclusively solo shelters for years...) but figured out that all I needed was a flat area for the floor because it does not really matter if under the vestibule is flat or not.
So in spite of the uneven terrain I managed very well with that one, making the SS1 easier again to pitch.
Choices, choices...
(the fabric inner had been discussed about the SS1, Henry needed a bit more convincing to go that way too)
Franco

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Extras on 11/23/2011 08:55:18 MST Print View

I need one plumbed for hot water. :) So many choices and no ones happy. You can only do so much.
Duane