Forum Index » Gear Swap » BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set

Display Avatars Sort By:
Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
FS: BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/20/2011 11:02:51 MST Print View

First, my tale of woe:

I hiked the Mohican State Forest this weekend. Using one of the Park and Pack sites, I set up camp early in the morning with my beloved zPacks Hexamid tarp (with beak added later by Joe) and my Gossamer ear LT4 trekking pole. 24 miles later, I got back to camp and found it trashed and the tarp and pole (and a few other small items) nowhere to be found. Thank gawd I had stashed my zPacks sleeping bag in my emergency bivy deeper in the woods.

I loved that danged tarp, and I'd like to replace it, and as the song goes, "I ain't broke, but I'm severely bent."

So I'm selling off gear that I use rarely:

BPL hoodie and pants

To be honest, I can't even remember what I paid for the set, but my recollection was that it approached $400. It will cost about $270 with the shipping to replace the tarp with the Hex Plus, so that's what I'm asking for the set. (I'll pay shipping, CONUS, but if you want to add a few bucks, I won't turn you down.) Also, if you have a Hex tarp for sale at a reasonable price, I'm listening.

I'd also be willing to trade for a Hex Plus Tarp (w/beak) in good condition or a Hex Single plus some cash.

Paypal gratefully accepted.

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/21/2011 18:23:02 MST.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set" on 11/20/2011 11:48:15 MST Print View

Size?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/20/2011 12:00:44 MST Print View

Thomas, sorry to hear about your trip. I guess, in the end, it's just gear but I know I would feel disappointed and angry.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

FS: BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/20/2011 14:28:28 MST Print View

Oops! Forgot to post the size! Mediums, both. And they are in perfect condition, BTW.

Thanks, Steven. Nothing compares to the shock of walking into camp and not seeing your shelter, and nothing compares to the desperate discouragement of searching the greenbriar around the spot in the growing darkness. But all gear is replaceable if you have the cash to do it. Any takers?

Stargazer

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/20/2011 14:29:22 MST.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: FS: BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/20/2011 14:59:57 MST Print View

I don't have the parka, but I have the pants in a larger size. They're the only leg insulation I'd consider carrying because they pack small, weigh little and provide a great deal of warmth. Good luck selling these items and replacing your shelter and pole.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/21/2011 11:26:59 MST Print View

Thanks do not seem enough to express my appreciation to an anonymous gent for his offer to replace the LT4 pole I lost in this incident. rarely in this life will you meet as decent a person as you find in that person, who wishes to remain unnamed. He reflects the character of the people on this forum. I thank him most of all for reminding me that backpackers are in general a decent lot.

Stargazer

(modified to remove the name of the donor)

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/21/2011 18:23:47 MST.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/21/2011 11:35:08 MST Print View

Sorry to hear about your loss. I can only imagine how I would feel in the same situation... hasn't happened yet, but I have that worry every time I walk away from camp. Probably says something about the world we're in, but it's still incredibly sad.

Cocoon set is the wrong size for me, but I wish you well in your sale, and in trying to find replacement gear.

You mentioned losing "a few small items" as well. What all did you lose? If I've got anything extra that meets your needs, I'm happy to send it your way. I'm sure other people here would be happy to do the same, just let us know.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

What was lost on 11/21/2011 14:28:59 MST Print View

Tim,

You are very kind indeed. The rest didn't amount to much, and I have backups for most of them. They include a small cuben-fiber stuff sack with one of those cheap plastic wrap-around sunglasses, a mini-bic, a headnet (which I really should have removed at the end of the bug season), a cheap inflatable pillow of which i own a case of already, and one of those fold-up plastic ground pads from Gossamer Gear. Inexplicably, my cook set in its orange cozy was not taken. I also found the zPacks ground cloth in the bushes.

Here's a pic of the setup, taken the weekend before, provided on the off chance that someone will try to sell the shelter on some forum like this one:zPacks tarp

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/21/2011 14:31:37 MST.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

FS: BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/21/2011 18:25:07 MST Print View

Shoot. Deal fell through. These items are still for sale.

Stargazer

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/22/2011 08:29:40 MST Print View

Bump. Any reasonable offer accepted.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 11/22/2011 12:29:04 MST Print View

Thomas,
You're right -- not much in the small items list ... only thing I think I might be able to provide is a GG pad -- which one are you looking for?

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Pad on 11/22/2011 12:39:48 MST Print View

It was the fold-up one. I have a backup on that item, but it's pretty worn out. I can make do with a bit of mailing tape, which works very well, BTW, for repairs on the closed foam pads. Seriously, you folks have been very kind and generous. I appreciate it.

Stargazer/ Tom B.

Edited by nerdboy52 on 11/22/2011 12:41:15 MST.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

BPL Cocoon hoodie and pants set on 11/22/2011 21:08:22 MST Print View

Bumping this one more time, them I'm giving up. Any reasonable offer accepted.

Stargazer

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Joe Valesko, what a guy!/ BPL hoodie and pants on 11/23/2011 17:33:38 MST Print View

I ordered a replacement tarp from Joe at zPacks and got it in a startlingly fast three days. The seam seals are drying in my back yard as I type these words, and I fully intent to use it this weekend. He is the best of the best, and I urge everyone to use his services.

In the meantime, the hoodie and pants set are still available. I'd like to pay the credit-card bill on time for a change ;-), so please take a look at the set. It's in perfecto condition, STG.

Cordially, and with thanks to the kind folks who offered to replace my lost gear,

Stargazer

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

BPL Hoodie and pants set (and a note on my stolen tarp) on 12/06/2011 13:57:50 MST Print View

Bump (WTH)

Also, for those who are following this thread,

I headed back out to Mohican, figuring I could get in about 20 miles before it got too dark to search around the campsite for more of my lost stuff. I had searched around in near darkness the last time.

I couldn't find anything at the campsite itself, but at the last minute, I decided to head down an off-trail old road that it used a lot by hunters, judging by the Busch Lite cans and shotgun shells I found while I was searching around. There, in among the greenbriar was my zPacks Hex single tarp! I will seam seal the few scratches it received. So now i have two tarps, the Hex Single and the Hex plus.

No sign of my hiking pole, however. My wife surmises that they really wanted the pole, so they grabbed the top of the pole, pulled the whole thing, tent and pole out of the ground, bunched up the tent, and took off. So why not keep the tarp? My wife claims that the tarp wouldn't look like much to a a "regular" BPer or hunter. I guess it takes a true aficionado to appreciate Joe's fine workmanship and exotic materials.

Anyway, I'm very happy. I'm sorely tempted to sell the old tarp, but I think I'll keep it. It will always remind me to be more careful where I camp (i.e., too close to the trail during peak hunting season.

Stargazer

Peter Rodrigues
(prodrigues)

Locale: New York
Re: BPL Hoodie and pants set (and a note on my stolen tarp) on 12/06/2011 20:44:27 MST Print View

Glad to hear it!

Chris Schmidt
(christo60) - M

Locale: Midwest (Ozarks)
Theft in the woods on 12/07/2011 14:23:18 MST Print View

I worry more about bipeds far more than about qudripeds when I am camping. I rarely leave my tarp set up and always hide any gear not with me... unfortunately.

Ruohao Liu
(Cloudynesz)

Locale: IN
Re: FS: BPL Cocoon (?) hoodie and pants set on 12/07/2011 15:04:55 MST Print View

I can't believe this could happen in the woods.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: BPL Hoodie and pants set (and a note on my stolen tarp) on 12/07/2011 15:15:17 MST Print View

Glad you found the tarp! Whoever took it probably thought the cuben looked like some cheap, useless fabric some kid bought with his own allowance and had is mom sew some netting onto it. :)

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

BPL Hoodie/down sweater still for sale on 12/08/2011 05:37:33 MST Print View

Thanks for your kind remarks, all. To all who are following this thread: I've had some nibbles on the down sweater, but no definite takers.

The pants I have decided to keep. The down sweater is still for sale. Make me an offer. The first offer I get for at or above $95, CONUS, I will take. It retailed at $189, as I recall. That's half price without the shipping.

Stargazer