Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB Climbing Gear

Display Avatars Sort By:
Alex Smith
(nulukkizdin) - F
WTB Climbing Gear on 11/19/2011 15:45:22 MST Print View

Looking for gear to start toproping/lead climbing. Not necessarily trad gear, since thats a bit much of an investment for me at the moment. Ropes, biners, quickdraws, let me know whats available!

PM or email at asmith2525@gmail.com

Sean Staplin
(mtnrat) - MLife

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies
Used ropes on 11/19/2011 19:18:07 MST Print View

Don't buy a used rope. You don't know how many falls it has had, the severity of the falls, or storage practice. Good luck

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Used ropes on 11/19/2011 19:38:15 MST Print View

I wouldn't say don't buy a used rope, but at least buy it from someone you trust. I've thought about selling my gear, which includes the rope, but I know the rope may be hard to sell. The same can go with any piece of gear though.

Kathleen Whalen-Burns
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Used climbing gear on 11/19/2011 20:29:58 MST Print View

I WOULD say don't buy a used rope. Just plain ol' don't. I've got too much Seattle Mountaineer training in me, maybe, but that is one item you need to buy new and replace every 5 years, no matter what. Call me over-reacting, but your life depends on that rope.

I've got runners and biners and a harness that are about 9 years old, and I won't use them climbing, even though they've never been in a fall and have been cleaned and stored carefully inside. I won't give them to my grandson, either. Mr. B uses them for fix-it projects (not the harness).

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
rope on 11/19/2011 22:46:38 MST Print View

Buy this rope: http://www.rei.com/product/735478/new-england-equinox-102mm-x-60m-dry-rope

Only $100 for 60m dry treated rope. Kind of funny, show up at he gym or crag around here and half of the people have this rope. (Incliding me) Good deal!

Unwrap it correctly and do a few rappels on it or it will kink up.

Check out mountainproject.com for a good climbing gear swap, but lots of stuff is on sale now. I'd recommend buying new until you have enough experience to distinguish between good and bad used gear.