Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
stuff sacks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
stuff sacks on 11/19/2011 12:36:53 MST Print View

I'm looking to get two stuffsacks for my Golite quilt and insulation layers that can protect them from water mostly in the form of rain or the accidental plunge into a stream. I would prefer without the compression straps. I'm curious what all of you are using that's light and effective.

I know some will poopoo stuffsacks and other will go with the compact trash bag but this system works for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: stuff sacks on 11/19/2011 12:40:14 MST Print View

I use an oversized silnylon stuff sack for my clothes. My quilt is always stored in a bivy. When the weather is foul, I'll put the quilt/bivy in the clothing stuff sack.

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: stuff sacks on 11/19/2011 13:51:42 MST Print View

I'm not a bivy guy. Who makes good stuff sacks then?

Conner D
(cdipaolo) - F

stuffsacks on 11/19/2011 13:55:19 MST Print View

If you can sew stuff sacks are very easy to make. I don't usually but them but sea to summit makes pretty nice silnylon (I think) dry bags. Granite gear makes tons of different types of stuff sacks from sil and cuben.
-Conner

Edited by cdipaolo on 11/19/2011 14:03:43 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: stuffsacks on 11/19/2011 14:01:15 MST Print View

+1 on the Sea to Summit and Granite Gear sacks. They work as advertised.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
stuff sacks on 11/19/2011 14:06:15 MST Print View

To protect against the accidental plunge into a stream (yes, it does happen!), you want dry bags, not stuff sacks. The drawstring closure of a stuff sack is not waterproof even if the fabric is. It's also a good idea to test the dry bags before using (not all are waterproof) and then once a year or so, because they can spring leaks.

I use one dry bag for my sleeping bag, another for my insulating clothing and a third small one for my first aid (the last mostly so I can carry it on my belt when I don't have my pack with me).

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: stuff sacks on 11/19/2011 14:08:31 MST Print View

The cord on the stuff sack can be wrapped around the opening to seal it off much better than the cord lock can. It's not 100% waterproof, but is hopefully good enough for a quick dunk.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
ditch the stuff sack and get a cuben roll top dry bag instead. on 11/19/2011 14:17:21 MST Print View

Dennis,

Check out Mountainfitter.com, Lawson makes some very nice roll top cuben drybags that are bonded and not sewn thru. I use mine like a stuff sack, except the roll top closure makes it easier to expel excess bulk and air, also ensures that your insulation actually stays dry by not allowing water in the opening unlike a draw cord stuff sack. This has replaced my pack liner as it's a super durable cuben Lawson uses and also 100% waterproof.

Terri Wright
(ncalcamper) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Oven Bags on 11/19/2011 19:06:04 MST Print View

Ive had good success with turkey oven bags.

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
oven bags on 11/19/2011 20:31:55 MST Print View

How do those turkey oven bags compare to the 2-gallon ziplock bags?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
stuff sack on 11/19/2011 20:44:23 MST Print View

I've used the turkey oven bags successfully, but I did explode one by trying too hard to shove stuff down on top of my sleeping bag (which was in one), and they are prone to puncture. Just be careful! They are a less expensive alternative to cuben.

I've had a couple of people tell me that cuben stuff sacks/dry bags are prone to leakage from abrasion. I haven't had any problems yet, but the people who told me that have used cuben dry bags a lot longer than I have, one on a PCT thru-hike. It will be a long time, if ever, before I get to the 2,500-mile mark!

Michael Ttrafton
(mtrafton) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
Stuff Sacks on 11/20/2011 00:22:50 MST Print View

Try Cuben Fiber its lighter then plastic. I replaced all my stuff sacks and food bag this last spring the old were about 6 oz the new cuben is 2.77 for 7 sacks. two food bags and 5 gear sacks.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: stuff sack on 11/20/2011 05:58:42 MST Print View

Mary,
Yes, this has happened to me, too. They start to split, then go all the way. For a couple days they are usually fine, though. I carry three bags for most hikes. One for my sleeping bag(and down jacket, long johns & socks,) one for food(doubling as bear bag,) and one small ditty bag for the small stuff (batteries, bandaids, salt/lite salt mix, pills, bear line, lighter, AM drops & mixing cup, etc...)

I used turkey bags for about a year, but they always came back in a destroyed condition. I think for the cost of using one per trip, I could have purchased a cuben bag if they had been available at the time.