Forum Index » Gear Lists » Alcohol fuel storage question

Display Avatars Sort By:
AAron Buchanan
(ZenEngineer) - F
Alcohol fuel storage question on 01/08/2007 09:52:23 MST Print View

What's the best way to carry denatured alcohol while on a hike? I've seen lots of debate on which stove is best, but nothing on the best way to carry the fuel. Plastic container? Aluminum? With spout (squeeze bottle)?

Michael Schurr
(mrschurr) - F

Locale: SW US
Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 01/08/2007 10:18:43 MST Print View

Try this:http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/5535/index.html

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 01/08/2007 11:32:11 MST Print View

I use a Platypus "Lil' Nipper" bottle with a BPL fuel cap, the red twist kind. It works well.

AAron Buchanan
(ZenEngineer) - F
Re: Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 01/08/2007 12:27:40 MST Print View

Thanks!

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 01/08/2007 12:59:16 MST Print View

I'm not saying this is the best means of doing it, but for weekend outings I use a 4 fl oz contact solution bottle. Its very light and holds just enough fuel. My bottle weights just 16 grams. It also has the squirt top on it. They make larger bottle if you need more capacity too. What I like best about this type of bottle is the control the nozzle gives me as opposed to the opening on a soda bottle.

Adam

E. Smith
(boingk) - F
re: fuel q on 02/02/2007 17:16:15 MST Print View

I'm hearing that people are storing their fuel in things like soft-drink and pull-spout bottles? Uh, just a word of advice [although you probably already kow this] - it may be a good idea to change to either a dedicated aluminum bottle or a markedly different non-drinking bottle that is clearly labeled. Anything else can cause mishaps when you're tired :P

I just use the light plastic safety-top bottle that the metholayted spirits comes in, weighs about 50g and holds 500ml. Also, its clearly labelled 'POISON'.

Edited by boingk on 02/02/2007 17:18:34 MST.

Eric Eaton
(ericeaton) - F
Re: re: fuel q on 02/05/2007 23:43:37 MST Print View

Yeah, I agree. But, if you use Everclear as your fuel, no hurt. (At least none you will feel until your hangover the next day).

Just a thought from a non-drinker.

Eric

Michael Mangold
(mkmangold) - F
Fuel Containers on 02/09/2007 09:55:27 MST Print View

I use the Nalgene hipflask, clearly marked "Fuel" both on the cap and bottle with white-out. It's manufactured to be stable against solvents such as alcohol, whether it's denatured or not!

Eric Eaton
(ericeaton) - F
Re: Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 02/12/2007 11:30:59 MST Print View

The BPL red twist cap leaks on my Lil' Nipper. It's ever so slight, but I do notice faint alcohol fuels while hiking.

Anyone else have this situation?

Eric

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Re: Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 02/12/2007 12:51:36 MST Print View

Once upon a time I thought I read that the red twist caps need to be trimmed a bit.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Re: Re: Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 02/12/2007 14:55:46 MST Print View

>Anyone else have this situation?

I set mine on a piece of sandpaper and rubbed it back and forth until I removed about 1/16" inch. It fit fine after that.

Edited by Otter on 02/12/2007 14:56:19 MST.

Eric Eaton
(ericeaton) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alcohol fuel storage question on 02/12/2007 22:14:27 MST Print View

Thanx guys.

I'll be pulling out the sand paper now. Seems like one of those, "Gee, I shoulda thought of that." moments.

Eric