Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » New England-area GTG #2: Winter Wonderland

Display Avatars Sort By:
Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
I like the way you're thinking... on 12/09/2011 11:52:27 MST Print View

I'm all in Ryan - let's get even more reasons lined up to not pay any attention at all to work :-) Happy Friday Everyone ! Live for the long camping weekends !

Bryce - totally agree about Leroy on Everest...I'd leave him to fend for himself is my guess.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Leroy on 12/09/2011 12:18:29 MST Print View

Good to see another reformed WOW addict. I think you have to be a WOW addict to understand that humor. I am a member of WOW Anonymous and it has been 789 days since my last login.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: I like the way you're thinking... on 12/09/2011 16:49:46 MST Print View

I don't know this Leroy, but I think I'm okay with that. My video gaming days are a little too far gone to have caught the WOW bug.

But as far as more winter stuff... Yes. How about the following weekend?
Or more seriously, sometime in early February? Less seriously, bring your sweethearts and call it a valentine's day vacation. In an igloo. They'd love it.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
For those with sweethearts... on 12/09/2011 17:21:22 MST Print View

....the later into February the better. Gotta space these things out. :p (post a new thread?)

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
Re: For those with sweethearts... on 12/10/2011 21:33:41 MST Print View

winter will be a bit of stretch. She likes snowshoeing and I can convince her of the occasional summer weekend trip, but I don't think she will buy into well below freezing temps at night. I will ask after finals next week though. I would be up for the whites in February.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: Re: For those with sweethearts... on 12/10/2011 21:37:17 MST Print View

What I'm saying is my GF won't do winter camping and she get jealous of the boy's club on backpacking weekends. So if we can space the Jan/Feb trip out a bit that'd be great. :p

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: Re: Re: For those with sweethearts... on 12/11/2011 04:53:04 MST Print View

I had you in mind when I said that, Bryce :)

Well, we'll stick with the January Glastenbury date for now. For now...

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those with sweethearts... on 12/11/2011 07:48:46 MST Print View

I'm all for a late feb trip.... and if it is in South Beach I ~might~ get my GF to come along too. :p

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Gloves/Mitttens on 12/11/2011 10:38:21 MST Print View

What system is everyone planning on using for:

- While hiking (w/ poles)
- Around camp / sedentary

I have poly glove liners, Military surplus trigger finger mitten liners, C.A.M.P. windmit'Ns shells for hiking, but I'm unsure if this is substantial enough for around camp.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

What Snow Conditions to expect ? on 12/11/2011 17:19:08 MST Print View

What should I be planning on for snow -- microspikes ? Snowshoes ? Just hiking boots, poles and a lot of luck ? Any thoughts would be welcome....as I'm also trying to get my brother set up, as it looks like he may be joining this party.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: What Snow Conditions to expect ? on 12/11/2011 19:05:21 MST Print View

I'll have Atlas 930 snowshoes and microspikes. I also have a pair of these (gotta find them first) if someone needs them:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27812&p=330047#p330047

I have a pair of Atlas 925 snowshoes for anyone that needs a pair (look up the weight suggestions, but consider the gear you're carrying and clothes you're wearing...I did not when I bought them haha).

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
gloves/mittens on 12/11/2011 20:34:12 MST Print View

Unfortunately I'm still not sure if Ill make it on the trip but I can tell you what hand wear I personally use. It is not UL as it is old but it is what I have and it works well enough. My winter gear is in serious need of updating.

OR goretex shell mittens
liner gloves or windproof fleece gloves depending on temp
single layer pile mitten liners
triple layer pile mitten liners (would like a ul option)

I hike in the liner or fleece gloves and add the shell mittens if I get cold or it is wet, this works most of the time. Lighter pile mittens are good most of the time when sedentary or hiking if it is really cold or my gloves are wet. I almost never use the super thick pile liners and probably won't bring them anymore as they are heavy. I tend to bring them for camp but most of the time I end up wearing my gloves for dexterity and use my puffy parkas hand warmer pockets while hanging out. If I don't bring the heavy pile mittens I would probably bring both gloves or add a fleece mitten. I still err toward an extra safety margin in winter and extra hand wear was drilled into me back in the day.

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

gear on 12/12/2011 12:19:52 MST Print View

I am taking snowshoes and hiking poles, no spikes, they won't be needed. I have goosefeet and the overboots that ben makes for camp. If you go that route I highly reccomend swaping out the thin closed cell he includes with zlite cutouts. Much warmer in the winter (Hint Hint, Ben you should make this an upgradable on your website for the winter folk if you read this). As far as gloves, hats, and socks, my rule of thumb (pun intended) is also take extra. I bring a thin neoprene type glove to hike around in during the day, thick fleece gloves to change into for cooking and around camp and as a back up incase I get soaked in the hands, insulated mittens that can fit over either pair of the liners, and then shell mittens for nasty weather that can fit over a pair of liners and the insulated mittens. I take two hats, a OR gore windstoper that is on almost always, and a light wool hat as a back up. 2 of everything in socks. You need the extra incase you lose something or get a pair of something soaked and they become frozen and useless for the rest of the trip.

Edited by earn_my_turns on 12/12/2011 12:25:39 MST.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: gear on 12/13/2011 13:25:41 MST Print View

I really want to say I'm in for this, as I didn't go winter camping at all last year. I just have to talk myself up for the 5 hr drive from Manhattan.

Also presuming no setbacks with my recently healed foot.

Mike C!'s winter list is always a good reference for winter gear.

Matthew Marasco
(BabyMatty) - F

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks
re: on 12/13/2011 14:44:32 MST Print View

I am very pumped for this trip, as I have never hiked in VT despite living in the state next-door. I am also excited to finally meet some BPLers!

Jim, perhaps I could give you a ride? I was actually thinking of spending Thursday night with my friend who lives in Union Square.

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

South Norwalk train Station on 12/13/2011 14:54:11 MST Print View

I can give folks a ride from the South Norwalk train station on the Metro North as well.

For those that have been to the trailhead already... what is parking like? Thx.

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Coming from North Central Jersey on 12/13/2011 15:02:55 MST Print View

Jim, If you take the subway to the bronx somewhere or a train to me in jersey we can car pool up and I will drop you off in Manhattan on Sunday Night. I refuse to go into the city on my way out of town on a Friday though. Did that once for a buddy to get up to VT and we made it out by about 9. It was a mess.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Re: South Norwalk train Station on 12/13/2011 15:42:47 MST Print View

Parking is a pretty big USFS trailhead. We'll be able to fit a dozen cars easily, as long as it's plowed (which I'm pretty sure they do).

edit: Here's a link to see the parking area on google maps. Just make sure it's in satellite view. It's the one on the east side of the road.

Edited by ryan.c.linn on 12/13/2011 15:55:28 MST.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Getting excited and prepping the gear list.... on 12/13/2011 15:59:05 MST Print View

Thanks for all those with great input regarding gear lists for those of us with no experience in winter snowshoe camping!

Looking forward to this trip ! I could also carpool people that wanted to leave a car at my parents place in Canton, CT before heading up to VT.

@ Bryce - I could go with you, but if my brother also comes it may be a better fit to all go in my Outback.

LOOKING: my twin brother is very interested in coming, but wonder if anyone has got an extra set of snowshoes for him (6'1" skinny dude and 170 lbs + hopefully around a 25 lb pack). Also I've got a superlight bivy to go under my Duomid, but all he has right now is an EMS Mountain Light 20* Bag to go inside my backup tent (a Big Agnes SL2), and my extra puffy layers (Costco Jacket over a Thermawrap jacket) plus I can get him some warm baselayer bottoms. Do you think I'm pushing the 20* bag rating too far ? I could also rent him a 0* or possibly a -20* bag from EMS. I can also rent him snowshoes if I need to (since I'm going to be borrowing some from work for free anyway).

Any thoughts welcome, and I'll keep checking out options as we get closer to the trip. Cheers

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Re: Getting excited and prepping the gear list.... on 12/13/2011 16:05:35 MST Print View

@Seth, I'm in for carpool, your car or mine doesn't matter. If any NYC members take the train to South Norwalk, I'll just drive up separate with them and see you there (I of course will let you know either way).

I have Atlas 925 snowshoes up for borrowing... they are rated up to 200lbs:
http://www.rei.com/product/805220/atlas-925-snowshoes

If you want them let me know and I'll bring them.

As for the bag, I think 20F is pushing it. Douglas Ide had a 0F quilt (Would need a down hood though), though not sure if he is making the trip, nor the cost to ship it up here and back.