Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Official GGG Thread READ

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: How many people are bringing kids this year? on 02/02/2012 21:18:53 MST Print View

That is correct Ken. Space #9 is for the raucous geeks. Space #10 is for the under 18 crowd and the sleepy heads. Jack Elliot will be at a maximum allowable distance from the fire ring to preserve quiet in space #10.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
campsite selection on 02/03/2012 07:57:13 MST Print View

im bringing caution tape and some construction stakes so we can tape off around jack s tent at least 50 yds in each direction this way everyone has a CHANCE at a good nights sleep LOL

just kidding

kevin

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
Carpooling on 02/03/2012 12:08:11 MST Print View

@ken Yep, We are trying to get out there on friday.

I'll fill out your carpool application:

and you are? James +1
where are you located? San Francisco (can meet anywhere the BART travels to)
when can you leave? Pretty open on this one. Whenever is the best time for the driver. Looking to leave friday if thats what everyone else is doing
when do you need to be back? Again, pretty open on this one as well.
do you get carsick? We are used to longer drives, so no. Plus, I ride the bus every day so I'm used to stop and go with unsavory smells lingering about.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Carpooling on 02/03/2012 13:52:34 MST Print View

James, we have room for 2 more and should be able to give you and the normie a ride. Only problem is i'm not sure when we're leaving. Strongly leaning towards friday evening, but might be early satruday morning. We're in soma, right near the costco and REI, so just a few blocks from civic center bart.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Henry Coe in 2 weeks on 02/03/2012 18:37:12 MST Print View

Because I am still amazed at how many BPLrs tell me they never heard of the GGG, I have bumped it pretty hard this year. Any suggestions for getting the word out in a more effective manner?
I've tried to post in this thread every title that people might have in their heads.

Edited by kthompson on 02/03/2012 18:44:23 MST.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Free Beer and Camping on 02/03/2012 18:39:36 MST Print View

two weeks

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Henry Coe in 2 weeks on 02/03/2012 18:40:40 MST Print View

Seeing that the thread is more than 11 pages long, and you have referenced it in many other threads, I don't see what more you could do, short of purchasing a main page ad from BPL :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Henry Coe in 2 weeks on 02/03/2012 18:50:40 MST Print View

" I don't see what more you could do, short of purchasing a main page ad from BPL :)"

If that was an option I would be on it.

Edited by kthompson on 02/03/2012 20:43:10 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Henry Coe in 2 weeks on 02/03/2012 19:28:18 MST Print View

One reason for the promotional stumble is that "GGG" is not descriptive, and that makes it awkward for a search engine to properly categorize. You have to search all over, high and low, to try to figure out what it means. In other words, if you know what it is all about, you can find it. But, if you don't know what it is all about, it's hard to find much about it quickly.

--B.G.--

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Free Beer and Camping on 02/03/2012 19:32:09 MST Print View

I fell for that once. I went to see some live music and expected free beer and chicken, but it turns out Free Beer and Chicken was the name of the opening band.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: Free Beer and Camping on 02/03/2012 19:33:08 MST Print View

Free beer?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: Henry Coe in 2 weeks on 02/03/2012 19:37:47 MST Print View

OK Bob I'll buy that. Unfortunately Gathering of Gear Geeks does not sound so appealing to those who don't know what it is either.

Lots of acronyms used here. We had a glossary at one time did we not?

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
Re: Re: Carpooling on 02/04/2012 02:53:00 MST Print View

Sounds great Chris!

Thanks a lot, we really appreciate it. It would be very easy to get down to that REI, so just let me know when you all plan on leaving and we'll be there.

Thanks again!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Are you on this list? on 02/04/2012 11:03:19 MST Print View

Morgan Rucks

Ryan Teale

Are you guys in or out? I've PM'd you as well.

We are getting full. I'll give your spots away if I don't here from you by next week.

Thanks to those who have answered your PMs. I've edited the list accordingly.

Edited by kthompson on 02/06/2012 16:59:59 MST.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: Carpool from San Francisco Friday night. on 02/04/2012 11:49:54 MST Print View

I have James Winstead signed up for carpooling. I may have Eli as well. I know that there were some other gentlemen who expressed interest several weeks ago. Please send me a PM.

Leaving from Mission Bay district of San Francisco after 5:00 on Friday. The K streetcar stops right outside my work. Get off at SFSU, Mission Bay. The plan is to return Sunday evening, no special time unless schedules demand it. Subaru wagon, plenty of room for 4 and we can fit 5 since it's a short haul to Henry Coe.

Edited by mtblack on 02/04/2012 11:55:38 MST.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Official GGG Thread READ on 02/04/2012 12:08:40 MST Print View

Very limited supply of free beer.

Rolling in Friday with Ken.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: Official GGG Thread READ on 02/04/2012 12:48:09 MST Print View

Teasing. I will bring some nice Irish whiskey, wine and mulling spices, and the Ken Thompson classic Modelo Especial tallboys. Extra water and carriers just to be on the safe side plus a two liter pot and a canister stove for convenience.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Official GGG Thread READ on 02/04/2012 16:40:48 MST Print View

I really enjoyed the Trinity Alps trip and would have loved to get to this one, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Have a great time!

Steve

I'll PM you, Ken, to make sure you see this.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Esteemed Guests! on 02/04/2012 18:48:17 MST Print View

Just to let everyone know, I have reached out to both Caldera Cone and Gossamer Gear as well as many other cottage manufacturers and I am proud to announce that we will be having those two wonderful companies in our attendence for this years GGG.

Bigger and better and even more cool for 2012!

Ken and I promise to make each years experience better than the last!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: How many people are bringing kids this year? on 02/04/2012 18:53:04 MST Print View

"That is correct Ken. Space #9 is for the raucous geeks. Space #10 is for the under 18 crowd and the sleepy heads. Jack Elliot will be at a maximum allowable distance from the fire ring to preserve quiet in space #10."

that might be too close...maybe Jack should sleep a mile from all of us.... :)