Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Official GGG Thread READ

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
2012 GGG & Kat's Hats???? on 02/01/2012 13:26:11 MST Print View

Kat,

I was just looking over the photos from last year and your hats were a big hit.

Are you planning out bring some more out for the gear swap this year?

Sure that there would be more than a few people who would like one.

Looking forward to this get together this year.

I may have a friend coming who is a traditional backpacker, so he can look at the UL freaks. :)

-Tony

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: 2012 GGG & Kat's Hats???? on 02/01/2012 13:29:21 MST Print View

I will bring plenty :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: 2012 GGG & Kat's Hats???? on 02/01/2012 13:38:18 MST Print View

"I will bring plenty :)"

And she'll sell you one, as long as you sing this song..... ;-)

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Request on 02/01/2012 14:10:56 MST Print View

Chris S said:

"Actually, even though I recently purchased a regular Trailstar I have not seen it set up yet since I live in an apartment and don't have a yard. So, if nobody else is bringing one I might bring it so I can show it to myself and practice pitching it."

I have a TrailStar on order in cuben, and based on the amount of time it's supposed to take to get one, I'm guessing that mine will arrive just about the time I'm heading toward the gathering.

So I'm thinking of bringing mine, too, if it's done by then. I'd like to get some practice pitching it before taking it on a longer trip. I bought a couple of inner net choices for it, too, (on gear swap), so I may also bring those along to try them out.

I'm also looking forward to seeing gear I've only heard about (that other BPLers will be bringing). I love playing with gear!

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Re: Request on 02/01/2012 14:11:41 MST Print View

Alrighty then, unless someone else was already planning on bringing a trailstar I'll bring mine.

Matt, that Prophet sure does sound super. No need to also bring the Exodus, but thanks for the offer!

Edit: Looks like Diana posted just as I was writing this reply. I'll probably bring mine anyway to compare it to the cuben version.

Edited by csteutterman on 02/01/2012 14:16:47 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
GGG and GEAR on 02/01/2012 14:28:49 MST Print View

Don't hold back. Bring out your UL finery.I love hearing the phrase" I've never actually seen one of those" over and over.
This is the only place where you can list the contents of your pack and have everyone around you know exactly what you are talking about.
Gear, gear and more beer!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F - M
How many people are bringing kids this year? on 02/01/2012 17:00:02 MST Print View

My wife and I are thinking about bringing two of our children (the two who will do the JMT with us this year). The girls are 8 and 10 (the 10 year old did the JMT already last year with her 13 year old sister and wants to go again).

Manfred

P.S.: I can bring my ZPacks Exo if people are interested.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: How many people are bringing kids this year? on 02/01/2012 17:11:15 MST Print View

If this is correct to say...between the two camping spots, one is for quite time sleeping and the other is a bit more ahem..."adult"

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: How many people are bringing kids this year? on 02/01/2012 17:26:50 MST Print View

Manfred,

My understanding is that Jeremy is going to bring is 9 yr old son to the gathering.

+1 on what Ken said....great for people to be able to check out UL gear that other people have because most of this stuff you can not see or touch at a rental store.

I will have my MLD Cuben Ultralight Solo tarp for people to check out.

It is crazy small and light.

-Tony

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Re: gear at GGG on 02/01/2012 17:45:37 MST Print View

I would love to see a Trailstar... I'll probably be bringing my Spinnshelter (not quite as exciting, I know)

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Requests on 02/01/2012 18:04:28 MST Print View

Does anyone want to see a SMD Wild Oasis? I have one I can bring if need be.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: McHale packs at Coe? Requests? on 02/01/2012 18:22:50 MST Print View

Shameless selfish bump

Anyone have one that they are bringing?

Anyone have anything in particular that they want to see/try?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
GGG Master Post READ on 02/01/2012 18:27:49 MST Print View

See first post in thread.

Edited by kthompson on 02/03/2012 06:23:04 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
GGG on 02/01/2012 20:59:57 MST Print View

Eric L. - keep me in the loop about a potential car pool. I'd need a ride both ways. Otherwise, I'll just drive. PM is best!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
GGG Thanks/head count on 02/02/2012 13:23:01 MST Print View

Thanks for everyones help so far with paying beforehand. Has kept things very easy for me this time around.

Interesting change from years past is that we have the majority of folks coming in on Friday. Awesome! More time. The GGG goes by so fast once it gets here.

So we are around 75 so far. Room for another dozen or so. So if you are on the fence. Speak up.

I'll be heading down two weeks from right now!

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
I'm Halfway In on 02/02/2012 13:58:22 MST Print View

Ken,
I sent you payment but I'm still a strong maybe. It is very likely that I will be out your way for work, if so then I'm there.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: GGG Thanks/head count on 02/02/2012 14:15:28 MST Print View

Awesome!

This is going to be the biggest gather of gear geeks that we have had.

Also, I wanted to publicly say thank you to Ken T. for all of the work that he has put into making this happen.

I would dare say that it would not happen at all if it was not for his efforts to take the initiative to research and scout out the possible sites that would take such a large group, post up the information, communicate with the park rangers to see about having support vehicles bring in things like water and fire wood.

Huge amount of work and then for him to put out his own money to reserve the sites without any guarantee that he would get money back from all of us who are attending.

That said, really proud to see the BPLers come together and to do Ken right by sending him money to cover cost.

Knowing Ken T., he is not even looking to be compensated for the most valuable part of this...his time.

-Tony

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
GGG on 02/02/2012 19:22:45 MST Print View

Getting super excited about this trip.

A couple things. Ken can you add a +1 to my name? I talked a friend (who is traditional backpacker, or what I like to call a "normie") into coming along.

Also, Is there a SF carpool in the works? The two of us are looking for a ride, and can pitch in gas money.

As for the gear I'm bringing. Pretty much the same stuff everyone has seen, nothing too special. I am considering bringing my MYOG $3 3oz Ikea Backpack to test it out. Anybody interested in seeing that? haha. If not, I'll bring my modded ION.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: GGG on 02/02/2012 19:41:03 MST Print View

@James Got you updated with the +1. Will you be coming Friday? Carpooling is going on. We'll bump that subject some more.

@Tony. It's really my pleasure to do all of it for you guys. I've gotten so much from BPL that this is just a small way of paying it back. Don't be so modest either. The success of the GGG relies heavily on your photographic record. And you named it too.
Big hug!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
So you want to carpool to the GGG. on 02/02/2012 21:14:54 MST Print View

and you are?
where are you located?
when can you leave?
when do you need to be back?
do you get carsick?

OK go!