Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Official GGG Thread READ

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
GGG What is it?? on 01/26/2012 23:12:40 MST Print View

Pictures and words here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43671

And the year before

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28191

And the first one

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: GGG What is it?? on 01/27/2012 06:54:28 MST Print View

Whatever it is it is happening in 3 weeks.
You coming?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
That annual Bay Area thing. on 01/28/2012 16:18:22 MST Print View

Three weeks.
R.S.V.P. if you have not already.
Thanks for everyones cooperation so far.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
+1 on 01/28/2012 22:59:41 MST Print View

Just wanted to mention I was coming with +1.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: +1 on 01/28/2012 23:01:59 MST Print View

Thanks.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
GGG Master Post Updated on 01/28/2012 23:09:55 MST Print View

See first post in thread.

Edited by kthompson on 02/03/2012 06:28:00 MST.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
FYI (Friday and +1) on 01/29/2012 00:17:00 MST Print View

@Ken,

We're planning on arriving Friday evening and I'll be bringing a +1.

@Jack --,

My wife and I will be coming through Sac Friday afternoon our way to Henry Coe. We haven't decided what we want to do after the event. We might spend the night in the Santa Cruz area so a carpool wouldn't work then. We'll let you know in advance if we skip the Santa Cruz idea so we can arrange the carpool.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: FYI (Friday and +1) on 01/29/2012 09:13:23 MST Print View

So Eric? That means there will be three all together, right?

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Re: FYI (Friday and +1) on 01/29/2012 13:31:44 MST Print View

For group count, two total (My wife, she's the +1, and me).

For car count, Jack-- might be catching a ride with us.

Let me know if it's still confusing.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Campsites on 01/30/2012 09:08:08 MST Print View

I happened to be in the park this weekend, so I took a short detour to Manzanita Point and took a few pictures of the empty campsites 9 & 10 in case anyone that wasn't there last year is wondering what kind of space we have to work with.

9a

9 from the other end
9b

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Campsites on 01/30/2012 12:22:30 MST Print View

Beautiful! Thanks Chris. Plenty of room to spread out.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Campsites on 01/30/2012 14:15:32 MST Print View

And I believe that there are two fire rings- one for each site.

I will be bringing 2 boxes of duraflame logs, which hopefully will be on the supply vehicle that we are allowed to drive into the site.

If not, volunteers would be needed to bring in the logs.

I have not received my Sherpa certification yet, so I am limited to carrying 87 lbs- which seems to be the weight of my 9 yr old daughter. :)

-Tony

Frank H.
(porker110)

Locale: California
Water on 01/30/2012 14:26:30 MST Print View

I'm not sure if this was already addressed, but should be be carrying all the water we need for the whole weekend, or is the support vehicles going to be bringing in jugs of water for everyone to use??

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Water @ Henry Coe on 01/30/2012 15:26:40 MST Print View

Water will be trucked in. Be prepared to haul in your own if weather is bad. They won't let us drive in if too muddy.
We will have over 80 gallons on hand.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Bail Out :( on 01/30/2012 15:40:31 MST Print View

Well, it looks like I will not be able to make it.

I'm completely bummed out as I had cleared my schedule for this, but something has come up and my wife and I have to leave town on the 18th. I'm hoping to at least swing by on Friday and say hi to whoever is there, but I think chances are slim.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Bail Out :( on 01/30/2012 16:16:59 MST Print View

Jacob,

NOOOO!

Sorry to hear about this....I hope that everything is okay with your family and you.

And to think, I had to bail on your trip to Point Reyes this weekend to go into work. :(

I was really looking forward to seeing your camera and to maybe have you give a talk on photography.

-Tony

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Bail Out :( on 01/30/2012 16:33:29 MST Print View

Hey Tony.

Everything's alright, thanks.

We've been looking at the possibility of relocating to Durango, CO. There's a prospective employment opportunity for my wife which has been an ongoing process. They want to fly both of us out to have a look around the town, talk with us about relocation, and presumably present her the official job offer. This was supposed to be happening early Feb but of course the date was moved.

Sorry you had to bail on the Pt. Reyes outing. Adam came along and we had a good time. I was just telling him that if this Durango thing pans out I'm going to really miss hiking in the Bay Area, and of course all of the BPL'ers that are up and down this part of CA. I had no idea I'd be missing this one until just today.

Eric and Kat both have the NEX, I'm guessing there may be others there that do too, so you'll get to check it out I'm sure :)

Edited by JacobD on 01/30/2012 16:35:42 MST.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Re: Bail Out :( on 01/30/2012 16:48:26 MST Print View

@Tony et al,

I'm still planning on attending and bringing some of my camera gear, NEX5 and a few lenses. My glass selection is more limited compared to Jacob's rangefinder lenses but it gets the job done.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bail Out :( on 01/30/2012 17:47:05 MST Print View

You're just scared of losing to the Micro Burst. You will be missed. I hope you and your wife get what makes the both of you happy.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Bail Out :( on 01/30/2012 18:10:33 MST Print View

Jacob,

Wishing you the best of luck on the that trip out to CO.

Guess this means we need to hook up and get a trip done before you you head out.

Plus, you can always come back to visit us for the next GGG?

Eric,

Thanks for letting me know....I have held the NEX5 at the store and fired off a few shots, but would be nice to see how you use it in the field and to get your thoughts on it.

As I have told Jacob, I am pretty slow and would be looking to buy the 3rd generation model of the NEX5, if released winter of 2012.

Still, nice to drool over new camera....just wondering how I will like it vs. my pocket camera. Will I take fewer photos with the NEX5?

-Tony