Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Who does not love a cigar in the woods?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: simple. on 06/11/2012 10:23:02 MDT Print View

"These Guys did the PCT last year and frankly, a couple of them smoke like chimneys.
I've never understood smoking and hiking (or biking for that matter)
"

Cycling and smoking have a long tradition:
smokers

And I agree with Eugene.

You'll be a lot happier in life if you don't sweat the little stuff.

Edited by dag4643 on 06/11/2012 10:27:28 MDT.

Chris Scala
(Scalawag) - F
Eugene on 06/13/2012 08:11:39 MDT Print View

I think you and I would get along, Eugene. It is definitely a waste of energy to let someone else's choices affect you that much, especially in the back country. Adaptability of mind and body are important if you aim to truly be at peace in the outdoors... and that includes tolerating other lifestyles.

Kevin Smith
(OddDuck)
Urine on 11/09/2012 17:05:41 MST Print View

Urine and the back country have gone together forever too. Can I walk up and p!ss on your leg while you're smoking a cigar? May $hit in your shoe?

I mean seriously. You complain that people are infringing on your 'right' to smoke in the back country, but when some opines that your smoke impinges on their right to enjoy some pristine mountain air, as pristine as it gets these days anyway, you get all holier then thou.

Pot. Meet kettle.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Urine on 11/09/2012 17:50:14 MST Print View

Ah, come on. We all need to get together. We are a team here. Team work!

Here is an example of real team work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSyV5e8nyGY

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Urine on 02/13/2013 13:53:45 MST Print View

"Urine and the back country have gone together forever too. Can I walk up and p!ss on your leg while you're smoking a cigar? May $hit in your shoe?" - Kevin smith

Sorry, but your analogy is invalid. A better analogy would be me doing my best to go off trail and out of sight to take a wiz, but am unknowingly in view of another section of trail, and am unaware of your approach. Then you proceed to throw a hissy fit because you didn't come to the woods to see a guy with his junk hanging out.

The only way your analogy is valid is if someone sat next to you on the side of the trail, lit up and blew smoke in your face. I think even smokers would agree that is out of line and is not likely to happen.

If you don't like the smoke then pass them or move somewhere else. If 2 minutes of residual smoke smell is going to ruin 3 days in the wilderness, then you have some issues that can only be cured by a conversation on a couch...

Chris Scala wrote a great post on the last page, btw. Worth reading.

Edited by stingray4540 on 02/13/2013 13:55:45 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Who does not love a cigar in the woods...as long as you are a cigar smoker and have a 2 miles radius of isolation on 02/26/2013 20:49:43 MST Print View

It may be a little narrow but the cigar tube may work out as a pocket fishing kit. Probably would need to keep the tackle to a bare minimum.

Edit: Chase, if you'll bring the Cohibas and I'll bring the Midleton.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 02/26/2013 20:52:39 MST.

Jason Hung
(moma-moma) - F - M

Locale: store.picharpak.com
as a stove! on 02/27/2013 10:46:22 MST Print View

you can put carbon felt into the tube soak with alcohol.
It also can be a adjustable stove by adjusting the felt how far it stick out of the tube!!

I love cigar too!

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

Locale: Orlando FL
re: cigars on 09/01/2013 21:44:58 MDT Print View

I couldn't read through the whole post but I will continue my 2 cigars per day habit while hiking.

For the needy, I have a HUGE assortment of cuban cigar tubos including a bunch of the RyJ #3s shown by the OP.
If you are lucky I will send you a Partagas or Hoyo tubo.
State your Vitola (size)needed, drop me a PM.
This offer is only available to those who respect my right to enjoy my cigar in the woods after a long hike.
The only issue taking cigars is the special lighter needed but I will just make due with a bic.
EDIT : OK I read the whole thing. I don't blow smoke on other people. Simply because you can detect the smell of cigar from a distance does not mean I have infringed upon your enjoyment. It is the smell of naturally cured, additive and chemical free leaves smoldering, no more or less. If you don't like the residual smell of it on my clothing then stop sniffing me. I exercise my freedom to enjoy a cigar outdoors and try to balance it with respect for others as much as is practical, but it is MY trail too.

Now stop the petty nitpicking and lets think up a use for these tubes for cryin out loud.

The wood inside the tube is Spanish Cedar BTW, used to balance the humidity level in the tube, and to impart a little cedar essence to the cigar. It is a 200 year old practice with cigar storage.

Edited by Diablo-V on 09/02/2013 06:18:53 MDT.

F. R.
(fugitiveride) - F

Locale: Syldavia
cigars on 09/02/2013 22:51:56 MDT Print View

I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: cigars on 09/02/2013 23:04:10 MDT Print View

But what to do with those tubes? Is there nothing to be done with them? Can we shove them where needed?

The cigar box is more useful I think.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

tubos on 09/03/2013 07:04:07 MDT Print View

The tubes (tubos in spanish)come in a myriad of sizes, but most have a press fit
end cap with no seal except metal to metal, so they would not be absolutely waterproof.
The screw top tubes shown in the first post come with some Romeo y Julieta cigars from Cuba in two main sizes, both about 3/4 inch diameter - 4 and 7/8 long (Romeo #3)and 5 and 1/8 long (Romeo #2).
They both weigh 7 grams each regardless of length since my scale will not register 1/2 gram. Both tubes will hold waterproof matches stacked in two bundles one on top of the other, and are lighter that commercial waterproof match cases. The lid gaskets are real thin poly foam sheet so they will not rot.

Uses ?
Match case for one.
I am thinking of making my dryer lint firestarter wrapped around a thin piece of wire.
The case is filled with the firestarter with the wire in the middle. You pull on the wire to get the firestarter to the top where you can peel off a small piece at a time.
Simple and no plastic bags or litter involved.
The tubes are lighter than any small bottles for spices, sugar, salt,drink mixes, medications, or whatever you want to keep dry. The tubes will hold rolled up pieces of silnylon or cuben fiber repair tape in a case lighter than the commercial case, along with any glue tubes. The tubes will hold sewing or fishing kits along with a mini swiss army knife.
The fatter tubes will hold a 5 day supply of blue shop towel toilet paper or a complete mosquito head net.
Use your imagination.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: tubos on 09/03/2013 13:17:59 MDT Print View

tubed cubans make appropriate gifts of appreciation all across the north. they weigh very little, and are not something that occures in villages by random accident. i normally toss several in the pack for just such a situation that i need to say Thank You, money would be crass (even for me ! ), and handing out a mosquito net isn't going to cut it.

am finding the effete repulsion of outdoor smoke odor pretty ridiculous amongst a group of people familiar with say ... campfires.

i have smoked one cigar in my entire existence. t'was in the middle of BC, nearly out of food, had left 1" of rum, and this world-rocking stogie to deal with.
started in on the last of my rum, lit the cuban, and 15 minutes later, am dancing naked (it's raining) around outside the tent resetting pegs.
and THAT was a pretty good afternoon.

no telling what the heck to use the tubes for. not like it's something valuable like a film can.

cheers,
v.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

watrproof on 09/04/2013 05:37:34 MDT Print View

I selected three different larger tubes with the press on dome style cap and tossed them in my pool.
24 hours and none leaked, so I will consider them all waterproof.
The larger ones now open a slew of possibilities.
About 1 inch dia by 6 inches long.

M Blick
(mattblick) - F

Locale: Ohio
Courtesy Nazis on 01/15/2014 11:59:33 MST Print View

I keep my stogies in an OPsack, and typically go through 3-4 cigars a day on backpacking trips. When in civilization, its one or two a week. Cigars in and of themselves, (without the tubo) are multi use. Besides the great satisfaction they provide me in the great outdoors they are extremely affective at chasing away insects, the egocentric, and the self-righteous.

For the masses extolling the evils of getting a whiff of tobacco scent, do you also complain about the scent of campfire smoke? Do you forgo the evening fire to avoid inflicting the smell upon others?

The Environmental Protection Administration estimates that wood smoke is 12 times more carcinogenic than equal amounts of tobacco smoke, and that it stays active in the body up to 40 times longer than tobacco smoke. I.E. One hour smelling wood smoke is worse for your health than 12 hours smelling tobacco smoke. You sit upwind of all of your fires? Smell your campfire clothes and tell me you aren't breathing it in.

To the tobacco complainers:
Don't have a campfire, the smoke will horribly irritate my eyes and endanger my health. I have the right not to catch a whiff of your campfire's smoke in an 800 square mile park. I don't want your enjoyment of a campfire to negatively impact my personal experience or endanger my health."

Edited by mattblick on 01/15/2014 12:10:51 MST.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Courtesy Nazis on 01/15/2014 13:01:59 MST Print View

"For the masses extolling the evils of getting a whiff of tobacco scent, do you also complain about the scent of campfire smoke? Do you forgo the evening fire to avoid inflicting the smell upon others? "

Answers: Yes, and Yes.

Alright, then. It's a deal... you won't smoke out there and I won't have fires.

Billy

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Courtesy Nazis on 01/15/2014 13:04:28 MST Print View

BTW... haven't had a fire in 30 years or so.

Perhaps I am deluded, but I expect there are others that feel the same.

Billy

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Courtesy Nazis on 01/15/2014 13:14:50 MST Print View

"For the masses extolling the evils of getting a whiff of tobacco scent, do you also complain about the scent of campfire smoke? Do you forgo the evening fire to avoid inflicting the smell upon others? "

I absolutely do! On the other hand I don't mind if any of it is far enough from me.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Courtesy Nazis on 01/15/2014 14:01:14 MST Print View

6th post on this site and he invokes Nazis. Good start.

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - MLife

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Analogy on 01/15/2014 15:34:36 MST Print View

You are hiking peacefully through the woods and you start to hear some music that is offensive to you (metal, country western, pop, techno, or whatever you hate), and as you keep walking it gets louder and louder. Up the trail you find someone hiking with a boom box listening to their favorite music at a level that can be heard in a pretty wide radius. Illegal? Nope. Annoying? Yes. I probably wouldn't say anything and try and get away from them to return to the peace of the outdoors. Same approach with a cigar smoker. Unless the smoker was self-righteous about it, in which case I might hike with them while legally blasting heavy metal on my boom box :) (And no, I don't really have a boom box.)

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Courtesy Nazis on 01/15/2014 16:43:55 MST Print View

> 6th post on this site and he invokes Nazis. Good start.

In accordance with Godwin's Law, I now declare this thread over.