Forum Index » GEAR » Pack for the JMT

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brent McKelvey
(bmckelvey) - F

Locale: South Texas
Pack for the JMT on 11/14/2011 01:53:26 MST Print View

I was looking for input on backpacks for the JMT. The two I like the most are the MLD Exodus FS and the ULA Catalyst. I am more than open to other suggestions as well. If you had to choose just one for this hike, which would it be? Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Catalyst on 11/14/2011 09:06:19 MST Print View

I love mine, it's a great carrying pack, and holds my bear canister just fine.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Pack for the JMT on 11/14/2011 10:03:18 MST Print View

What about HMG Porter pack?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Pack for the JMT on 11/14/2011 10:42:36 MST Print View

The Catalyst did a good job of holding my huge Bearikade Expedition canister inside along with all my gear. The only thing I had lashed to the exterior of my pack was my urination bottle.

Ryan Christman
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Midwest U.S.
Re: Pack for the JMT on 11/14/2011 17:45:48 MST Print View

You may want to consider the ULA Circuit if the rest of your kit is light and compact enough.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Pack for the JMT on 11/14/2011 18:16:14 MST Print View

I should have asked this in my first post: What bear canister will you be carrying?

Francis DeRoos
(fderoos@comcast.net) - M

Locale: Mid Atlantic
re: pack for the JMT on 11/14/2011 19:54:57 MST Print View

I used a circuit this September on the JMT with a Bearicade Expedition in it and that was fine. for reference my base weight, without the canister, was 12 lbs. The pack performed beautifully. I will say, most people carrying ULA packs had Catalysts and I saw a couple carrying Ohms. Definitely spend time refining your kit over the next few months and then getting the appropriate pack at the end.