7d DWR vs other fabric DWRs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff J
(j.j.81) - F

Locale: Oregon
7d DWR vs other fabric DWRs on 11/13/2011 16:34:09 MST Print View

I'm curious if anyone has any hands on experience comparing the DWR of TiGoats 7d versus other lightweight fabric DWRs, like M90 or the .9oz from OWF. I did the usual searches but only found the thread comparing warmth, nothing directly relating to the DWR. Does the 7d DWR stand up over time? M90 seems proven, but I haven't come across much about 7d's performance against spray over time.

I'm trying to decide on the fabric for the top of my MYOG bivy, and the weight savings of 7d would be nice, but not if it doesn't perform, both against wind and spray, as a bivy top.

Like I said, this is for a bivy, so the protection the fabric would offer matters rather than downproof-ness. I haven't ordered anything yet, just constantly rehashing the different options over and over.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Jeff

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: 7d DWR vs other fabric DWRs on 11/13/2011 16:47:51 MST Print View

I have used all three (7d, M90, and 0.9oz from OWFINC), and if your primary goal is for water and wind resistance, I would go with either of the latter two, but not 7d. 7d is great for a UL down garment liner fabric (and shell fabric too, but with less wind and water resistance).

In my non-scientific comparisons, Thru-hiker's 10d fabric is in between 7d and M90 in terms of both water and wind resistance.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
NEW SevenD on 11/14/2011 01:16:18 MST Print View

The newest version(currently/very recently available) of SevenD, has been greatly improved over the origonal version. Air permeability is much lower, and the water resistance is allot higher. It is much closer to the performance of Intrepid(M90 OWFinc .9oz) now. The TiGoat site needs to be updated with this info. The "DWR" on the improved SevenD is all but permanent, and only applied once ;-), because its that good. I plan on releasing production bivies built with the improved SevenD, and a new SUL waterproof fabric for the bottom.

Jeff J
(j.j.81) - F

Thanks on 11/14/2011 16:14:12 MST Print View

I appreciate the thoughts. Ben, that's about what I suspected, but Josh, can you give some specs on the new DWR?

Jeff

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Specs on 11/14/2011 22:09:06 MST Print View

What kind of specifications, are you interested in specifically? ;-)

I no longer work at TiGoat so I wont/cant get too specific. I had some input into how this last version came to be, and after putting my hands on it, am very satisfied with the outcome. Someone should probably put some "official" numbers to it(and others), and publish the data.

Jeff J
(j.j.81) - F

tigoat on 11/15/2011 13:33:46 MST Print View

Ah, I see. Still, I appreciate the input. I keep waffling back and forth.