Forum Index » Chaff » Print Mag's Coffee Article

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Print Mag's Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 09:05:20 MST Print View

Let me start this off by saying two things:
- I'm not a coffee drinker
- Mike, it was a very well written article with terrific sketches.

I just got my BPL print mag issue 6 a few days ago. Did anyone else think that 13 pages of a 96 page issue is WAY TOO many to devote to coffee for a magazine about lightweight backpacking? Surely there are more valuable topics to discuss.

I understand the tongue-in-cheek approach and great sketches, but this is something that I'd expect to see in Outside or Backpacker when I leaf through them at the airport (sorry, I know that's a low blow, but this is the Chaff section).

I'm sure that I'm inviting all sorts of humorous replies from you caffeine addicts...but this is a serious question about content.

Tom

P.S. great photo essay from Andrew and nice detailed report from Alan as always...need more articles from him

Edited by TomClark on 01/07/2007 09:05:51 MST.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Print Mag's Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 10:38:01 MST Print View

Thomas,

You should be lucky that you "did" get your copy of issue 6. The guy walking around delivering them hasn't made his way to Texas yet.

Ryan, I would pay a few dollars more to have a faster mail option.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: Print Mag's Coffee Article - Why no percolators? on 01/07/2007 11:28:22 MST Print View

Yes, indeed this was a great article. I welcome the attention to coffee.

I was a little disappointed that percolated coffee wasn't covered. There are little 2 cup percolators that make outstanding coffee. They are made of aluminum and are fairly light. They can double as a water boiler for dehydrated meals/etc so in reality the setup is not much heavier than your regular pot for boiling water in, and is frankly lighter than many (not most) setups. A "Red Bull" style alcohol stove fits perfectly under one and water boils really fast in one with the lid closed. One of those "Ion" stoves works really well since it burns so slowly that it percolates the coffee rather than hard boiling it. For me it seemed to be the "perfect" setup so long as I was only boiling water for meals... until Java Juice came out.

I can post pictures if people want to see, but needless to say a percolator is a percolator. With a little modification it probably could be lighter (removing/replacing the handle specifically).

I can't say that I agree with the articles approach to the disposal of coffee grounds. I think the author expects this sort of response, however, so I don't feel bad about posting this. Coffee grounds are trash (as the article points out) and I pack all trash out... period. I agree that coffee grounds are biodegradable trash but so are a lot of other things. I carry coffee filters and line the basket of the percolator with them. The filters are light and dual use (can be used to "filter" floaties/etc out of water prior to treatment) Then I squeeze the water out of the grounds... carefully so as not to damage the filter, twist the top closed, and put the resulting package into two zip-lock baggies, one inside the other. These either go into the next campfire or are packed out and disposed of.

I am a Java Juice guy now pretty much. It's an expensive way to go but I am amazed at how good the coffee is and the form-factor is OUTSTANDING. :)

I'll add on edit that I don't think this thread needs to be classified as "Chaff". It's fair commentary and dialogue.

Edited by jjpitts on 01/07/2007 11:33:31 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Print Mag's Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 11:39:48 MST Print View

Bill, I've got to agree with you. The guy hasn't made it to Oregon either. Maybe the Pony Express got ambushed (again).

Edited by wandering_bob on 01/07/2007 12:05:04 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Print Mag's Coffee Article - Why no percolators? on 01/07/2007 12:08:10 MST Print View

I used a percolator for years as water boiling vessel. Ugly, and lighter than anything else I have owned since!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Print Mag's Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 12:35:52 MST Print View

There seems to be a wide range in delivery times since I have read forums about articles in previous issues that I hadn't seen for anotehr 2-3(?) weeks.

James,
I originally wanted to put this thread in the Editor's Roundtable, but realized that only BPL can post there. Chaff is probably a better place because I think there are more deserving topics, and I was wondering if other members wanted future issues to spend >10% of the pages on these types of topics.

Tom

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Print Mag's Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 12:54:15 MST Print View

In that case I'll cast a vote here. I liked the article and welcome it's light and humorous style as well as content... despite the percolator exclusion which I'll forgive and forget. :)

I try to take everything I read as part of a whole, where in this case the whole is several issues of a print magazine. I think this issue was assembled and written in a manner consistent with other issues. So I welcome this article as a part of the BPL magazine knowing that future issues will probably have articles of different style and content. No doubt this issue as well as future issues will spark discussions in the community that generate flames where an article like this drops a spark.

In summary I don't think this article is any indication of the overall direction that the BPL print publication is heading. It think it is what it is... a well written and humorous article with outstanding illustrations.

A wise person knows that they can't know everything and that there is ALWAYS something to learn. I didn't know about Turkish coffee and the idea of making large batches of good coffee using a canteen was novel and worth investigating.

...oh, and when I make cowboy coffee I do so in a pot with a closed lid. Now this next part takes some practice, but I get the grounds to settle faster by swinging the pot in a wide circle... a motion that takes a lot of practice. The centrifugal force speeds up the settling of the grounds so the coffee doesn't get cold and puts on quite a show for people in camp. :)

Robert Geiser
(twchikers) - F

Locale: Northeast Ohio
Re: Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 15:40:51 MST Print View

I was surprised the lightest/easiest option wasn't even covered. I always take .2 oz Maxwell House Coffee Singles and prepare a cup of fresh brewed coffee each morning. No french press, filter, java juice, can or perculator is needed.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Re: Re: Coffee Article on 01/07/2007 18:11:40 MST Print View

Good point, although I find the coffee this produces on the weak side. The Boy Scout Troop I hang with uses these for the adult leaders. I have to bring in my own coffee. That said, I do know that you can purchase empty tea bags that you can fill with your own coffee. I am betting these would produce outstanding results.