Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mountaineering Boot Q's
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brandon smith
(smityb) - F

Locale: South Africa
Mountaineering Boot Q's on 11/12/2011 11:07:34 MST Print View

Right, so in South Africa we have a very limited selection when it comes to mountaineering boots. I'm looking for a boot that can take crampons and handle some front-pointing but mainly general mountaineering. The options I have are the La spo Karakoram Pro GTX
(https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1869) and the La spo Trango Alp which doesn't have the front toe clip. So what are your opinions and suggestions on these two boots.

Really appreciate your help

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 11/12/2011 18:35:01 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 05/28/2012 16:54:53 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Mountaineering Boot Q's on 11/13/2011 03:03:12 MST Print View

> in South Africa we have a very limited selection when it comes to mountaineering boots
But you have ebay, Amazon, and all the other internet web shops.
Just check size and width first!!!

Cheers

Brian Austin
(footeab) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Mountaineering Boot Q's on 11/13/2011 03:15:22 MST Print View

If the boots fit then buy them. IF they don't, don't buy them unless you are a glutton for punishment. Had a friend go to Russia and only rock shoe size they had was an 8 and he normally wears 11. You do what you have to do sometimes. =)

Don't need a front clip for WI3 ice. Even WI5 you don't need a front clip. Its nice to have, but not needed unless long stretches. You don't seem to be doing that.

You can go "ice climbing" in tennis shoes if you wish. Be a might hard on your ankles, but you wouldn't be the first nor the last.

Brandon smith
(smityb) - F

Locale: South Africa
thanks on 11/14/2011 08:07:22 MST Print View

Thanks for the help guys, looks like i'm leaning towards the ALPs