Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
David's hiking bio on 12/28/2011 13:41:25 MST Print View

Art: Thanks. It sounds like maybe it's a lot of different trips on the same date. With prepatory and celebratory meals together before and after?

My 19-hour R2R2R was SK-NK-SK. Mid April, 1985. The thing was, I'd done diddly hiking that whole winter and it was totally on a lark, as I was driving I-40 east and started thinking, "Hmmm, BA-BA was a great dayhike. I'll do SK-SK this time. Or maybe more. Oh, here I am at the SR at 2 am. Why sleep for 3 hours when I could start hiking now? Maybe I could do the whole thing?" So it was with no conditioning, no planning, and I totally bonked leaving the River for the SR. But I was 23 years old and the weather was perfect.

On that day, more than any other, I learned that I can wear down my body if I'm not properly conditioned and the years have only reinforced that. Carrying a 40-pound pack on a family BP trip and powering up a Half Dome or GCNP trail for 5,000 feet without stopping is easier now than it's ever been. Hiking is a sport that ages well. I've had my butt kicked by 80-year-olds on Mount Whitney and while skiing in Utah.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 12/28/2011 18:37:07 MST Print View

I hope everyone has had an enjoyable week or so of holiday festivities. In all honesty, who here has put on a few pounds or lost a little pep in their step?

I've eaten more baked goods and consumed more porters and ales in the last 2 weeks than I have in all of 2011. I know my ounces of craft brew consumed rivals my miles run the last two weeks.....but it's been oh so sweet! I set out for a solid climbing run up in the mountains on Monday and met up with my father and brother in law for a nice day hike on some fresh snow and ice up high, it was quite enjoyable. The last two days have been spent recovering from a nasty upper respiratory infection and nursing a sick wife and two kiddos with infections and pink eye.

On that note I just wanted to encourage everyone to keep at it with their training, whatever that is to you, and to keep the goal in mind which is quickly approaching. I know the next three months for me will be heavier on the mileage and focusing on building up the climbing into my week.

A few things:

@ Eric Payne,

I think several of us will be converging in Phoenix at similar times, so we should figure out the nitty gritty details soon, especially for those who intend to purchase airfare now while pricing is cheap. Carpooling makes the most sense if at all possible, I know I intend to bum a ride.

To anyone else interested in joining us in April:

This is an entirely open invitation to anyone who understands the difficulty of doing a run of this nature. While we will be meeting as a group on April 14th, we all fully understand that this will be a personal endeavor once we head down below the Rim and how the day plays out will vary from person to person depending on their fitness, goals, and individuality. Mike and Art hit it on the head in their comments above. I'm sure some will naturally pair up or group up, others may want to suffer the joy of running the distance in their own headspace. I think it is assumed that we will be looking out for our fellow brothers and sisters throughout the day.

Happy New Year my friends!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 12/28/2011 19:04:21 MST Print View

Right on Eugene, I'm getting excited as well.
I've actually managed to get through the holidays unscathed, at least no heavier than before. I had just lost about 9 pounds on the way into late December.

Last week was a crappy running week, only two runs due to a bad cold. I thought I was over it, went on an 11.5 mile trail run with Adan Lopez (also on BPL) yesterday, followed by 6 hours of doing construction work. Now I feel like I've been hit by a truck, can't do a thing, full-on flu symptoms.

But anyhow, I should be back on track by New Year's, when I planned on getting more serious anyways.

So happy new year everyone, stay healthy, I think it's going to be a good one for outdoor adventure.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
A little different on 12/28/2011 19:47:12 MST Print View

I have gone through the holidays unscathed but.... that's only because I gained 20 lbs. in the previous three months (since I got back from the PCT.) Finally I have lost a couple and will lose the last 6lbs. to get back to my ideal weight. (It's a lot easier to put on than take off.)

I would love to get the date finalized in order to make flight plans. My wife may also be joining me (not us, we couldn't pay her enough to even walk to the river.) so we also may have some logistical support at the run's end depending on our route. We may be able to shuttle some folks up to GC depending on schedules.

Also, the only preference I have is to have water on the way back up the south rim. It will be hard enough without the extra water weight but even that is not a big deal. Bottom line, the particular route is less important to me. Also, this is more of a "fun" run for me vs. trying to hit some particular time so the social element is more important. (What a switch from my PCT hike!)

Can't wait, my training is in full swing so that I don't embarass myself too much!!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 12/28/2011 20:09:49 MST Print View

@ Craig and Greg,

It's good to hear ya'll are doing well and in good spirits.

Greg, the date is set, we'll all be heading down Saturday, April 14th. I imagine that everyone will be arriving to the South Rim on Friday the 13th..... (dun dun dunnnnnnn). Eric Payne mentioned freebie camping in Forest land the night before; finding a plot of land large enough to house a group of runners/hikers shouldn't be an issue. Obviously if people want to shack up at the Lodge at the S. Rim, crash in their car, etc. the night before that's totally an option. I'd like to hang out with all of you and possibly enjoy a beer or two and some brats or something post run and recollect on everyone's day, so if we could secure a spot to keep things communal that would be my selfish preference.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 12/28/2011 21:52:06 MST Print View

is a group site inside the Park at the south rim campground (Mather Campground) an option or not?
still camping but a bit closer to the start and finish trailheads.
plus hot showers.

Edited by asandh on 12/29/2011 09:02:08 MST.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Gettin back on it on 12/29/2011 23:02:32 MST Print View

Glad to hear all these positive updates! I too have come through the holiday season pretty well (thus far). Here's a short summary of recent weeks: I fled the frozen and snowy basin and range of Southern New Mexico just in the nick of time for my native SE Pennsylvania, where we've enjoyed unseasonably high temperatures with intermittent rain (ironic huh?).

I've enjoyed Christmas with my family rolling out artisan pizza and pasta from scratch with homemade tomato sauce and wine. Hope everyone has a great and safe remainder of the holiday season and carries on with their running. I am going to keep indulging in great Italian food and pizza, which are nearly impossible to come by in S. NM just to burn them off the next morning on the trails.

Edited by hewinsd on 01/02/2012 20:29:04 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/18/2012 07:42:42 MST Print View

I'm bumping this thread for anyone else who missed this or is still on the fence.

There's a few months left folks.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
water on 01/18/2012 08:11:17 MST Print View

concerning water: if I understand it correctly it's ~ 7 miles to Phantom Ranch and that's the first reliable water source (heading down)

I thought the next water reliable water source was Cottonwood (~ another 7 miles), but this site as of 11/10/11 shows it OFF, thought this was a year round one????

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/trail-closures.htm#CP_JUMP_140503

they also show Roaring Springs OFF, which I often see listed as year round????

if this holds we only have one reliable water source at the 7 mile and 35 mile point? that's going to be a little rough to say the least, are Cottonwood and Roaring typically turned on before May? or am I missing some source(s)

thanks

Edited by mtwarden on 02/12/2012 09:01:55 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: water on 01/18/2012 08:21:36 MST Print View

If the spigot at cottonwood is off, can't we just drink from the river and bring a few tablets?

When I did this trip in October a few years ago, I remember everyone talking about water sources as if it's an issue- then I discovered that you're essentially running along the stream for ~1/3 of each crossing.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: water on 01/18/2012 08:23:30 MST Print View

So we just need to verify the Cottonwood situation before the hike.

Edited by asandh on 02/14/2012 08:43:07 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: water on 01/18/2012 09:46:25 MST Print View

I've been south of the River a lot, but not on North Kaibab for a long time. Is there surface water between Cottonwood and the North Rim? i.e. if Cottonwood were off, could we use iodine/filter? I know - it's cold, it needs a long contact time, but I'll probably have the iodine with me, regardless.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: water on 01/18/2012 09:54:43 MST Print View

Dave
to the best of my 3 year old recollection, the answer is no, unless you mean rain puddles.

but as long as trail workers are using the house, there will be water there.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

water and lodging on 01/18/2012 12:47:50 MST Print View

hopefully Cottonwood will come online before April (Roaring Springs maybe too)

is anyone interested in getting a room for Fri and Sat night? they are pricey (~ $140/night for two queens), but kind of nice :)- would forego bringing camping equipment as well- we could probably get a fair number of folks into a room I think

I checked on shuttles from the lodging area and starting in March the shuttle will run every 1/2 hour starting at 4:30 AM to get one to the South Kaibab TH

I guess I should ask have we settled on the South Kaibab?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: water and lodging on 01/18/2012 15:58:12 MST Print View

Mike,

I'll be coming from far away (farthest, perhaps?) and possibly red-eyeing there, so, yeah, I'm planning to hotel it. And going halfsies on a room is good with me. If it's 8 guys in a room, I'll pass - I value my sleep too much and want every edge I get for a trip like this.

The last couple of times I stayed in at the Red Feather Lodge just outside the park because they had vacancies a few months in advance. Nothing special, generic hotel, generic dining room. Or were you thinking of something in the Park? Not even getting in the car that day is always nice.

To follow up on your Q: Are people thinking South Kaibab both ways or shuttle to the SK and return up the Bright Angel? I'd lean towards 1) BA-NK-BA or 2) SK-NK-BA myself. My last R2R2R was SK-NK-SK and the SK going up was dry, steep, and lonely.

For BA-NK-BA on such a long day, I'm not morally opposed to stashing food in a very animal-proof container on the way down the BA. Extra pounds carried over dozens of miles adds up, at least for me.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

lodging on 01/18/2012 17:53:11 MST Print View

I'm up for either as far as lodging goes, Red Feather sounds fine- I looked the Best Western on line and that's where I got the $140-ish rate- they also had vacancies (as of now anyways)- not sure if it's right in the park or just close????

I do like the idea of SK->NK->BA, little different country and not a heck of a lot longer- I'd certainly cast my "vote" for that option

I would like to include one leg of SK if possible as I've heard it's very scenic

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: lodging on 01/18/2012 18:21:58 MST Print View

Those hotels are 1 mile outside the park entrance in a small village called Tusayan. and about 7 miles from the Bright Angel trailhead.
not sure how far from SK trailhead.

Edited by asandh on 02/14/2012 08:44:53 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: lodging on 01/18/2012 18:46:33 MST Print View

Mike:

I just made a reservation for the Red Feather Lodge $252 for two nights plus taxes = $282 total. Two queen beds. Nights of April 13 and April 14. I'm fine if I'm the only one there. You're also welcome to stay with me and split the tab. It seems like we might be doing similar paces - I surely am not running the whole dang thing!

-David

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

lodging on 01/18/2012 18:56:36 MST Print View

David- that sounds good to me (God willing of course :) )

yeah- definitely not running the entire thing either, I'm just hoping to make it the entire way!

are you flying into Phoenix?

Mike

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: lodging on 01/18/2012 19:12:37 MST Print View

>"are you flying into Phoenix?"

Yep. Into Phoenix 9:20 am Fri, Apr 13
Departing Phoenix 8:00 am Mon, Apr 16

I'll rent a car. Anyone who is arriving about then is welcome to catch a ride north with me on Friday.

I'm thinking with my early Monday departure of staying in Phoenix Sunday night. Maybe a motel or couch-surfing with a friend.