Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Trans-Zion on 05/01/2012 21:14:34 MDT Print View

either last week of September or first week of October is good by me :)

I was thinking starting west (Lee's Pass) and ending east, gives you the option of bailing at the Grotto, total distance is 47.3 miles (bailing at the Grotto makes it ~ 36 miles)

elevation gain roughly 4000', elevation loss ~ 4000', no where near as dramatic climbs (or descents) as the GC though

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: ITB Isssue on 05/01/2012 21:17:31 MDT Print View

Yeah Art, roller, ice, hot showers followed by stretching...that's it so far. This regimen worked for a serious case in my other knee about 6 years ago, so I'm hoping this time isn't as bad.

Just came in from an easy 5K, ~27 minutes, all pretty flat. No pain at all, just the begins of a little tightness in the last half mile. I'm hoping I can get it under control soon.

As for Zion, I could swing late September if that's best. Last weekend of September or first of October? What's everyone thinking?

Where can you stay/camp for this run? Is the main park out of the way from the start/finish?

EDIT: Mikes plan sounds good to me....

....Had a vision for some Trans Zion medals on my run just now. Let's just say heavy metal themed metallic gunmetal medallions, complete with lightning bolts and thick stainless steel neck chains.

We gotta do it now!

Edited by xnomanx on 05/01/2012 21:20:03 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

medallions on 05/01/2012 21:25:59 MDT Print View

now I'm definitely in.......... sipping out of my R2R2R mug w/ some heavy metal hanging around the neck- oh yeah!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
This is ridiculous. on 05/01/2012 21:55:53 MDT Print View

R2R2R was only two weeks ago.

Do we forget pain that quickly?

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Pain is fleeting on 05/01/2012 22:23:22 MDT Print View

hey Wisner, you were talking more more more as soon as you were back up with a beer in your belly!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Amnesia on 05/01/2012 22:56:16 MDT Print View

The transition from "never again" to "well, something reasonable next time" to "I'll train better" to "maybe I could go further if I did." happens remarkably quickly.

Otherwise, our ancestors would never have gone on another bison hunt.

Or had a second child.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Pain is fleeting and Amnesia on 05/02/2012 07:26:45 MDT Print View

^^ oh how so very true :)

on another subject, I had my blood drawn on Tuesday morning after my run (if you participate they lower your insurance a little)- anywho when I got the results back my Bilirubin and AST were elevated above the normal range (ALT was on the high end by in the norms), RBC was a little lower than the norms. got a little nervous about the results and then read a couple of studies that were done w/ marathon and ultra-runners. they took blood pre-run, immediately after the run, 24 hours after the run and then 9 days after the run- anyways it appears these elevated results are pretty typical (takes about week and a half for them to go back to normal)

I'll get another blood screening in a couple of weeks to test that theory :)

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/10/2711.pdf

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Yes! on 05/03/2012 09:21:38 MDT Print View

Late September/Early October......either is fine with me. My schedule is fairly flexible. You guys pick a date and I'll be there.

Craig....dig the medals idea!

As for camping.....I'll need to look at a map but there's lots of BLM land in the area. Or we could camp in at the main campground near the visitor center and shuttle vehicles to the start/finish trailheads.

Should we start a new thread for this??

BB

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Zion on 05/03/2012 10:47:36 MDT Print View

There's alot of question marks for me regarding both fitness and scheduling but I hope I can make this one happen. A chance to try my first ultra again with my knee in better shape is exciting. Medallions, awesome idea.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Yes! on 05/03/2012 12:46:48 MDT Print View

Brian asks "Should we start a new thread for this??"

by all means do :)

Mike

Adam Matthews
(achadm) - F
Re: George Matthews commemorative button. on 12/21/2012 11:49:33 MST Print View

Eugene,

My Mom and I would like to thank you and the whole R2R2R crew that commemorated my Dad, George Matthews. This past July my brother and I placed some of our Dad's ashes in the Tuolumne River in Lyell Canyon in Yosemite...Yo was one of his favorite places.

I'm getting ready for a JMT thru hike this summer, so I'll be checking in to stay up to date on the latest UL gear and reviews.

Good to see the trip was a success and I know my Dad was looking out for you all. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to everyone and all your friends and family.

Take care