Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Wow on 04/21/2012 21:06:06 MDT Print View

Great pictures and descriptions, everyone. Looked like an awesome trip! If anyone is interested in the trans Zion run in say, later August or September, I would totally be down for joining you guys. It is an amazing trip across Zion and has more than a few calf-cramping, gut-busting portions. ;)

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Eugene on 04/23/2012 08:04:01 MDT Print View

Thanks for the pic Eugene. That climb out was really great, it was good sharing it with you. Weather, views and the company made it one to remember for sure. My knee is feeling good, 3-5 mile runs are doable again finally. I'll be ready for May.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
sharing a tent on 04/23/2012 09:49:13 MDT Print View

"That's the last time I'm sharing a tent with Adan. Lucky I didn't get herpes from him too."

Craig, Herpes symptoms can sometimes take a few weeks to surface.

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Trans-Zion on 04/26/2012 10:20:42 MDT Print View

Is it too early to start planning our fall get-together?

I vote for Trans-Zion. It'd be a nice time of year out there.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Trans-Zion on 04/27/2012 14:56:12 MDT Print View

Too early?

I don't think so. October?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Trans-Zion on 04/27/2012 16:24:39 MDT Print View

I'd consider it in October. Zion sounds cool, love the area.
Was thinking about heading out to NM for the Deadman 50, so I'd have to choose (couldn't afford both trips).
October would be best for me...I go August and September without a paycheck.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: Trans-Zion on 04/27/2012 17:33:42 MDT Print View

if it was early October, might be doable for me (later gets into the heart of hunting season here)

if we can't pull it off this fall, I say we definitely do it next spring

Mike

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Re: Trans-Zion on 04/28/2012 18:08:07 MDT Print View

I could probably swing very-early October... I think a handful of us are tentatively running the Deadman Peaks 50 that Craig mentioned later that month.

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
zion on 04/28/2012 21:17:13 MDT Print View

im down for october, gimmi a location date n time n ill be there. I'll show up a day early to get in some rockclimbing if my BF can come, or someone else who climbs, to belay :)

Edited by everyday on 04/28/2012 21:19:32 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Speaking of National Park trips on 04/28/2012 22:26:13 MDT Print View

Anyone without a National Park Annual Pass going to a national park in May? PM me if so. I'd thought I'd start with that offer here in the R2R2M thread and offer it to my betters first. -David

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Inspiring on 04/28/2012 22:30:33 MDT Print View

Its awesome to ready ya'lls reports. You guys finally inspired me to go running again. I hadn't been able to unitl maybe a month ago due to back to back injuries that took forever to heal. After that it was laziness.

I did about 20 minutes at a pretty good pace, distance unknown. I thought about going on but I decided to stop while I was feeling good to make sure I don't hurt anything.

Eugene that Crest fastpack idea sounds pretty cool!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Inspiring on 04/28/2012 22:34:45 MDT Print View

>"I decided to stop while I was feeling good to make sure I don't hurt anything"

That was my thought process today in dropping, limbing, and bucking one - count 'em one - 40-foot spruce. There's always another day. Because there's always another tree in my yard.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

package arrived on 04/29/2012 07:51:51 MDT Print View

^ David my "TSA" package arrived :)- thanks!

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re. Next Trip Plans on 04/29/2012 08:24:51 MDT Print View

I can't think past Sep 7 right now (Wasatch).
but everyone keep making plans,
and I'll follow along in the background.

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
October on 04/30/2012 09:01:40 MDT Print View

I can definitely commit to an October Zion trip. Perfect time of year for me. The earlier in the month the better I would think.

BB

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Definite Maybe on 05/01/2012 17:53:23 MDT Print View

I'm in the process of moving to PA so I'm not think past the next couple of months. Once I get up there, if I have a bit of spare time I will start running a few routes that I have scouted out. If my family has moved and settled down I would love to do this trip.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: October on 05/01/2012 18:12:10 MDT Print View

Brian said "I can definitely commit to an October Zion trip. Perfect time of year for me. The earlier in the month the better I would think."

that's the only time in October I'd have a chance to make it

Greg- good luck w/ the move! (moving is not fun- usually anyways :))

Mike

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
October Trans Zion on 05/01/2012 19:49:48 MDT Print View

So my understanding is that the Trans Zion is ~48 miles. Anyone know the gain?
East-West? West-East? What are you thinking?

I'm totally stoked on this run and think I could swing early October if we did something similar to the R2R2R...Head out on a Thursday night (or Friday morn.), hang out Friday, run Saturday, head home Sunday...
I can typically make it to SW Utah in ~7.5 hours drive from home so traveling is no big deal.

Now I just have to get this ITB thing from the R2R2R under control. I'm still getting tightness at only 5K into an easy, flat road run. I've been stopping and walking home before the tightness turns to pain. Ice, roller, stretching post run. Better than two weeks ago, but progress has been slow/frustrating; especially because my knee feels perfectly normal doing everything BUT running.

Maybe we should be starting a trans Zion feeler thread here...

Art ...
(asandh) - F
ITB Isssue on 05/01/2012 20:13:06 MDT Print View

Craig - are you usung a roller or other massage techniques on your ITB ?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Trans-Zion on 05/01/2012 20:18:38 MDT Print View

I'm running Deadman Peaks 50 on Oct. 20, so if possible, the very first week in October would be about as close a date as I feel comfortable committing to right now.

Would the very last week in September be a possibility?

On topic, Buzz Burrell recently had to bail on his Trans-Zion due to hydration problems:

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/trans-zion-how-not-to-hydrate/#more-176