Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
my take on 04/17/2012 18:53:58 MDT Print View

Where to start? I think Eugene summed it up pretty well with his first word to me after topping South Kaibab- "Epic", not in the normal "that was an epic wave dude" sense, he said it with a straight face and a somewhat concerned face. It was indeed epic in many facets; the Grand Canyon and Colorado River are truly epic in every sense of the word. The enormity of the run and the extreme weather only added to it. You have the individual dynamic of accomplishment, but even larger was the group's sense of accomplishment. For months we've trained and shared both our successes and failures, we've asked questions and given counsel, we've been healthy and we've recovered from injury and finally- we got to do what we've planned, trained and talked so much about.

It was so fun to meet and visit with folks that you already knew pretty well. Despite the weather, despite the personal challenges we all had in one form or another, we accomplished exactly what we set out to do- to enjoy one of natures true crown jewels on very simple (albeit difficult) terms.

Thanks to David for picking me up (and returning me) to Phoenix and for doing the driving when close to the city limits :) Thanks to Torrey for scoring such a nice room for us, thanks to Craig for making some really neat mugs to commemorate such a wonderful gathering, thanks to Eugene for making the buttons we all wore in honoring George Matthews (also for accepting a package with unknown contents and bringing it up to the GC) and thanks to everyone who participated and to those who wanted to, but couldn't.

pics to follow

Rob Lee
(roblee) - M

Locale: Southern High Plains
A Hiker's Perspective on 04/18/2012 01:40:28 MDT Print View

When Eugene first posted about this trip I was intrigued even though I don't run anymore. I still wanted to go,but just to attempt a Rim-River-Rim. Getting to meet everyone was a big deal for me. I didn't know anyone there and many of them are significant "celebrities" on this site. For sure these guys and Torrey are the real deal. Not a message board embellish-er in the bunch. And what a diverse group: AZ,CA,GA,AK,TX,MT,NM that I know.

I was pretty sure I could make it down and back and I thought it would take me 10-12 hr. Dan Carter,a friend of Eugene's wasn't sure if he could join the group, but he made it and wanted to do the walk so I was happy to have a hiking partner.We decided to hike down S.Kaibab and up Bright Angle. Our pace was way different than the others. We took pictures, talked to others, and really took in the grandeur. Dan is conditioned and this was a stroll for him. I appreciated him keeping me going at a good pace. While speed wasn't my objective (finishing was)it was nice to push it and see what I could do. Dan kept up with me until the 3mile House where he took off and finished about 30min before me.

We left at 5, made the river at 8:30, rested and ate for an hour, started up at 9:30, and I topped out at 2:45pm; 9hr 45min.

What I wore: 150g wool LS tee, R1 hoody, thermawrap jacket, driducks jacket,150g wool bottoms, nylon pants,thin wool liner socks, medium gloves, Kat P beanie, and Montrail ATs. I was concerned about the wet conditions we expected so I wore goretex socks in am and took them off at the river. Took driducks pants and didn't wear them. Took a Packa to use if it really rained and didn't use it.

What I ate: 1.5 PBJs, 1 Snikers, 1 nut bar, 2 beef sticks, handful of fritos, handful of cashews, 2l of sport drink, and 3l of water. Forgot my dried fruit (could have used some of David's apricots).

Thanks everybody, I had a great time.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

pics on 04/18/2012 07:38:28 MDT Print View

few pics

dropping off of Cedar Ridge, this was where the snow started petering out, hard to tell but I think I have 4 or 5 of our group in this pic

Photobucket

O'Neil Butte through the precip

Photobucket

first view of the Colorado near the Tipoff (most of us only got to cross it twice :))

Photobucket

headed up Bright Angel Ck

Photobucket

"Mt Doom" lurking ahead :)

Photobucket

the scenery up the North Kaibab trail was mesmerizing, as was the South Kaibab

Photobucket

Adan at the pump house where he pressed on and after a 10 minute talk to myself I turned around (which happened to be the right choice for me)

Photobucket

headed back down Bright Angel, the South Rim looks likes it's a 100 miles away (it would feel like that too! :))

Photobucket

back on the S Kaibab looking at Panorama Point towards the North Rim

Photobucket

Brian and Josh pushing for the top (in what was an absolutely amazing 11 hour finish!!)

Photobucket

back at the top- spent, nauseous, mildly hypothermic and thrilled to death

Photobucket

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Nice! on 04/18/2012 09:13:18 MDT Print View

Keep the pics coming! Reliving the day is almost as fun as actually being there....especially as I sit here at my work computer all day!

As others have already said....I'd run/hike with any of you, any time. You meet awesome people outdoors and ya'll are no exception.

I'm thinking a yearly tradition is in order. Perhaps a fall version as well!

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
Re: Re: R2R2R again on 04/18/2012 15:00:31 MDT Print View

Art, can you gimmi some info on the san diego group? what forum theyre on or something. my email's 93ludegirl@gmail.com Thanx!

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Re: Nice! on 04/18/2012 17:26:12 MDT Print View

Great photos all!

It may be nice to see the canyon's ecosystems in autumn following the growing season.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: R2R2R again on 04/18/2012 18:53:33 MDT Print View

torrey
I just gave your email to a member of the group I mentioned.
Trasie Phan
I think she just emailed you with her phone number.
give her a call, a great person.

Richard Colfack
(richfax) - MLife

Locale: ARIZONA
R2R2R on 04/19/2012 13:51:01 MDT Print View

What a fantastic trip report! I'm running the 42 mile route R2R2R with 5 other guys on April 28. Hopefully we will have better weather but the long range forecast is calling for rain. From your posts I gather water was turned on at Cottonwood and the Pump House? I assume it was turned off at the N. Rim? Any insight to what we are about to get ourselves into would be helpful.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: R2R2R on 04/19/2012 14:10:50 MDT Print View

yup water @ Phantom, Cottonwood and Pump House, no water at the N Rim (on our trip anyways)- this is subject to change, but not likely unless they have a break (which did happen in late March)- we got a very up to the minute water situation by talking to the rangers the day before

I'd suggest bringing some Micorpur tabs or the like in the unlikely event water is turned off somewhere- plenty of water in Bright Angel Ck :)

start early, we started at 5:00 and had folks show up after dark, might have been better to start 4:00?????

I'm sure you've read about it, but the downhill sections really (really) take a toll on your quads, while the uphill is extremely difficult it doesn't seem to have near the impact on your legs- for me anyways

there was one group that was underdressed and ended turning around early, imo best to have clothing to handle a wide array of conditions

you're in for some fun!

Richard Colfack
(richfax) - MLife

Locale: ARIZONA
R2R2R on 04/19/2012 15:52:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info Mike! We will definitely start at 4AM or earlier and will bring extra clothes based on what your group experienced. I'm certainly expecting it to be a grueling pain-fest! You guys did a great job as this is an extremely difficult run in perfect conditions.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: R2R2R on 04/20/2012 08:55:45 MDT Print View

Mike, your first photo above makes me shudder.

To hear Art talk about taking a longer route... it's hard to conceive there is a longer version of this... you guys are beasts! :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/20/2012 15:35:39 MDT Print View

The daytime temperatures down at Phantom are pushing the 100F mark this week- we lucked out with our wintery R2R2R blitzkrieg.

I was only disappointed that it wasn't warm enough for any of you to see my legs. Maybe next year.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/20/2012 15:51:30 MDT Print View

same here- I even bought a special pair just for the run :)

I propose an annual run/get together- I think it would be fun to change the locations around, should be plenty of epic runs- trans Zion trek, Rae Lakes, others?????

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/20/2012 18:20:07 MDT Print View

I like Mikes idea. Im down for anyplace i can drive to ina few hours, nevada, cali, utah, or here.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Rd.#2 on 04/20/2012 19:59:28 MDT Print View

All this Zion-Traverse talk is rustling my feathers.

Took a little time and checked out the route which goes through some amazing country.

Here's a few links:

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/zion-national-park-traverse/

http://blog.coachingendurance.com/2010/05/new-zion-traverse-speed-record-7-hours.html

http://jasonhenrie.blogspot.com/2011/04/trans-zion-aka-zion-traverse-run-april.html

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=west&action=display&thread=14

http://www.suluk46.com/adventure%20-%20Zion%20National%20Park.html

I'm going to go ahead and compile a list of possible locales for some more done in a day group runs of the self supported ultramarathon variety.

So far:

R2R2R Rd.#2
Rae Lakes Loop
Trans Zion Traverse (Lees Pass to East TH)
Skyline Trail Pecos Wilderness (~50 miles of high altitude wilderness ridge running)

The Skyline Trail in the Pecos is one that I've been eyeballing for a while being that it's in NM, it's at altitude for the entire duration of the run (Highest point: 12,404', Lowest point: 9,700') and encompasses the entire Pecos River basin high up in the Sangre de Cristo range. This would be a truly epic run with a ton of elevation gain and I'm still not sure if it's been run in a single day or not. One thing to consider for this run is that this route could be broken up into two days as a fastpack style trip for those unable to do it in a single day. Logistically it's fairly easy, just need a shuttle from Santa Fe (Hyde Park). Water would be somewhat difficult being that it is a high altitude route, most of the water sources are lower in the basin. I'll do some more homework on this one and get back...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/recreation/districts/pecos/trails/251_skyline1.html

Here's a photo of my friend Landon on a section of the Skyline Trail last April:

trail

You know you want to!

Edited by Eugeneius on 04/20/2012 20:07:23 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Rd.#2 on 04/20/2012 20:15:23 MDT Print View

those all look good to me, the trans Zion also has a nice bailout location @ ~ 30 miles in, I'll be in better shape next time so I won't have to worry about that, but maybe some else will :)

I know of several really nice 30-40 miles loops here in Montana as well- Beartooths, Crazies, Pintlars- others

there was that other one we were talking about around the fire, in BC- the West Coast trail

http://www.trainharder.com/2011/10/12/running-the-west-coast-trail-in-one-day-and-in-one-shoe-a-photo-essay-by-joe-grant/

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Adan on S. Kaibab on 04/20/2012 20:45:16 MDT Print View

I've been slow getting around to putting my photos together, which very few came out unfortunately due to my lens cover being smeared with moisture and Gu in part from my laziness last Saturday in keeping my camera in a dry place. This was one of those times where I was too busy enjoying the run, scenery, and the "moment" to put on the brakes and be diligent in my camera management.

I enjoyed our entire R2R2R experience, but climbing up S. Kaibab with Adan stands out in my mind and this photograph of him captures that particular place in time for me well. Adan Lopez and I hadn't seen each other for the entirety of the day until the final ascent up S. Kaibab on the return leg as I ran back down from the North Rim. Inspired by the driving rain and with a little pep in my legs I ran across Black Bridge for my third crossing (*ahem) over the Colorado River, to my surprise there stood Adan at the opening of the tunnel leading up the S. Kaibab trail. Up until this moment I had been running completely solo since pressing on ahead of Craig and Torrey earlier in the morning, only crossing paths with a few runners coming down the N. Kaibab and several going up, so Adan's company in the pivotal moment of the day was most welcomed by me. Our conversation was sporadic at best, intermittently paced out by the gradient of the trail skyward and the strain on our bodies, but what we did discuss mostly concerned our families, the joy of running, and the events that unfolded on the day. Adan and I exchanged the lead as we pushed a steady rate of ascent, stopping every so often so I could fuel and recover briefly before getting after it again. I remember how casual Adan climbed up S. Kaibab, his tall frame seemed to make large incremental gains forward as my feet attempted to keep up with his long strides. Hands in pockets and a calm expression on his face, Adan pressed on like this was just another walk in the park. I stopped to down a gel and ward off the looming fatigue in my legs; in the time it took me to tear into the package, Adan casually slipped his hood over his head as the sky dropped down on us in a biting wintry mix. At that moment we both knew things were going to get a bit serious, if anything miserable, up towards the top of the Rim. Adan is clearly in the zone as he looks down on the Tonto Plateau, the expression on his face is priceless.

adan

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

tough cookie on 04/21/2012 08:29:25 MDT Print View

Adan is definitely a tough cookie! he knew going in that he was having knee trouble (of course he didn't know that Craig would contract it from him :) )

some pics from a recent Zion run by Joe Grant

http://www.alpine-works.com/2012/04/to-zion/

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Eugene, waiting for your trip report!! on 04/21/2012 19:15:54 MDT Print View

Checking regularly to see the pictures you have been hiding from us.....

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: tough cookie on 04/21/2012 20:26:12 MDT Print View

"Adan is definitely a tough cookie! he knew going in that he was having knee trouble (of course he didn't know that Craig would contract it from him :) )"

That's the last time I'm sharing a tent with Adan. Lucky I didn't get herpes from him too.