Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Re: Re: Re: Re: Girls on 04/03/2012 22:04:31 MDT Print View

Having read 'Born to Run' I for one understand that the ultra distance is running's great gender equalizer (just google Anne Trason if you have doubt) and as such will just be glad to run with any humans who show up. I have been asking myself "are we there yet?" all week...

Edited by hewinsd on 04/03/2012 22:06:49 MDT.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Girls on 04/04/2012 05:47:23 MDT Print View

My wife to coming with me to the CG but I haven't yet convinced her to join us on the run. Maybe with a little help for the rest of you we can get her to go.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Girls on 04/04/2012 09:03:06 MDT Print View

Pam Reed 2002 and 2003 Badwater winner, in the top 5, 2 more times and top 10 several more.135 miles non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney

http://www.badwater.com/route/index.html

http://www.badwater.com/results/index.html

Edited by annapurna on 04/04/2012 10:25:05 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/04/2012 10:22:20 MDT Print View

Awesome Anna, thanks for sharing.

a few more:

Diana Finkel
Darcy Africa
Kami Semick
Anita Ortiz
Krissy Moehl

Inspiring individuals and tenacious competitors! I have a major school boy crush on Krissy Moehl.

Torrey, you may be the only female going, but you're amongst good company, please don't let the majority male attendance be a deterent from you joining the group. I'm looking forward to meeting you and sharing some trail in your backyard.

T-minus 10 days and counting folks! Yip yip. Weather outlook is looking solid gold.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/04/2012 10:37:22 MDT Print View

++1 for Krissy.

and for those not familiar,
SoCal heartthrob Keira Henninger is pretty hardcore too.
runs 50k to 100m.
she even has a shot at winning this weekends Oriflamme 50k outright, guys and all.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/04/2012 11:04:58 MDT Print View

Pam Reed's wins are outright wins (men's and women's)in 2003 she beat Dean Karnazes

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
tsa package on 04/04/2012 17:23:43 MDT Print View

Eugene- I'll be mailing a small package out to you tomorrow

David- sent you a pm on my hotel info

thanks

Mike

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Girls on 04/04/2012 17:40:28 MDT Print View

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Helen Klein so far. Check this link out for her accomplishments in 2002 when she was in her early 80's. I will remember her for the rest of my life as the 60 something lady who dusted my sorry a$$ between miles 48-49 of the American River 50 in 1982. I was hurting pretty bad and she chirped at me as she sailed by, "Keep going, Sonny; you can do it". She was in her early 60's then and already a legend. Yeah, women can definitely hold their own when it comes to ultra distance running. Or any other distance, for that matter, IME.

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/MountainUltraTrail/Klein_Helen.asp

Edited by ouzel on 04/04/2012 18:05:36 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/04/2012 18:32:23 MDT Print View

Sounds good Mike, I will be on the lookout for it. Any chance your package might alert the dogs at the Border Patrol check points?

I joke with you.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/04/2012 22:33:42 MDT Print View

torrey
can you tell us about the new water filling stations that are supposed to be replacing bottled water sales?
I read that there is one at the North Kaibab trailhead but that it is only seasonal.
Do you know the dates ?

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Water on 04/05/2012 06:59:00 MDT Print View

I did it as a fast pack last weekend. Some water is on and some is off. As long as you are on bright angle creek water is plentiful, off that it's scarce. There is water on the north rim but it's a walk in.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Water on 04/05/2012 07:26:34 MDT Print View

is Cottonwood and Roaring Springs water ready?

thanks

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

agua on 04/05/2012 09:08:36 MDT Print View

FYI:

Pipeline Break in the Box
date posted Apr 3, 2012

The transcanyon pipeline that delivers water to Phantom Ranch is broken approximately 2 miles north of Phantom Ranch in an area called The Box. A National Park Service maintenance crew is working on fixing the pipeline break.

During a pipeline break, it is always a good idea for hikers heading to Phantom Ranch to carry a backup water purification method. Because Bright Angel Creek is somewhat turbid right now due to the spring melt on the North Rim, a filter is a better choice than chemical or ultraviolet purification methods. Be aware the Colorado River is also muddy due to spring melt.

---

So the recent mention of water leaves me wondering - is there any way to get information about water availability at the designated stops?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: agua on 04/05/2012 09:15:22 MDT Print View

hmmmm, thanks for the heads up.

on the one hand ... a slow motion government repair project.

on the other hand ... Phantom Ranch has paying guests who need their water.

lets see how long this takes.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Water on 04/05/2012 09:27:14 MDT Print View

Cottonwood had water last weekend. Roaring springs did not.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Water on 04/05/2012 09:42:30 MDT Print View

by water at Cottonwod, do you mean water from the faucets?
I know there is ground water we can filter.

and Roaring Springs, did you go by the House?
they must have had tap water there?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/05/2012 13:36:59 MDT Print View

I guess we'll wait to see what happens with the pipeline break. Would this mean the option of paying for water at Phantom or filtering water from the river in the event it isn't repaired by next weekend?

Maybe someone familiar could post up a Grand Canyon Water Wiki post and update it. I have read online info, but it seems there are other resources.

Either way I will have enough bottles to tank up for a possible long stretch heading up NK.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/05/2012 13:48:58 MDT Print View

even if Phantom Ranch had bottled water for sale (doubtful, pretty dang expensive)
we would pass through there on our way north before the store opened.
some kind of backup water filter may be on the gear list.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

phantom ranch menu on 04/05/2012 16:33:04 MDT Print View

don't see water here, but plenty of wine to fill our bottles...

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
water, girl, etc on 04/05/2012 19:54:28 MDT Print View

i dunno whats at roaring springs and cottonwood at this exact time, i just drink creek water, been doin it for years. As to the girl issue, no, i dont mind being the only one at all, I usually hang out with guys....i dont think i even have more than 2 friends who're girls. Im into cars, and racing em and im the only girl in my car club, so im used ta that, ....anywho...im not more helpful right now because my older brother is finally losing his fight with cancer, hes not expected to survive the week, and also I had major drama/ boyfriend issues yesterday... but at least those are fixed now, so ima just take care of myself right now and focus on running, i dont even know howta make my brain work to be able ta care bout yer questions, sorry, I just got too much other stuff in it right now, -- ill see ya guys when you get here. ok :)

gimmi a few days ta findout water stuff, n ill give ya what I know next wednesday,the 11th, b4 ya guys head out here, ok? I can do that at least, im just not gonna do it right this second

Edited by everyday on 04/05/2012 20:05:34 MDT.