Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Beer Mugs!! on 03/21/2012 20:32:19 MDT Print View

OK, adding one more to the list from the Nuevo Mexico Posse.

Anyone that can't finish will get a commemorative 8oz. "Rim to...Almost" sippie cup. :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: Re: Beer Mugs!! on 03/21/2012 20:35:32 MDT Print View

Craig said "Anyone that can't finish will get a commemorative 8oz. "Rim to...Almost" sippie cup. :)"

perfect! :)

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
interesting on 03/21/2012 21:31:36 MDT Print View

I'm getting in on this a little late and not sure if I can make it - or if there is any room left. How many miles is this total, 50+-?

I just moved to the southwest and have no hiking buddies here! I'd love to meet some SW BPLers.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beer Mugs!! on 03/21/2012 22:29:37 MDT Print View

Art +3 (rather than +2).
not 100% yet, but high probablity we'll be bringing the second female runner to the canyon trails.

and David, since you're looking for Alaskans, I went to high school in the Anchorage area, but it was so many years ago I call myself a native Californian now.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Head Count? on 03/21/2012 22:52:38 MDT Print View

OK Art.

Jon, most of the info you're looking for is the links on the first page of this thread.
Off the top of my head, you're looking at ~42 miles and ~20,000' of +/-.

Let us know, I'm sure there's somewhere to stay.

Edited by xnomanx on 03/21/2012 22:53:15 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: interesting on 03/21/2012 22:56:20 MDT Print View

Jon: 42 miles if you go South Kaibab - North Kaibab - South Kaibab. Bright Angel - North Kaibab - Bright Angel is a shallower slope but longer.

But it ain't the miles, it's the vertical feet. A mile down, a mile up, a mile down and that final, grueling mile up. I've done it when I was half my age and that last vertical mile up was a b***h.

If you've done 10,000 feet (up+down) in a day, you can probably extrapolate what R2R2R is like. If you haven't, you maybe ought to do a 10K vertical day first.

That may sound arrogant, but truly, I mean it compassionately.

But if you're 23 and haven't done any training yet? WTH, go for it. Worked for me. I couldn't walk for 5 days afterwards, but I'm still glad I did it.

But this time? I'm training more and maybe hiking less far.

Rob Lee
(roblee) - M

Locale: Southern High Plains
Head Count? on 03/21/2012 23:24:48 MDT Print View

Still lurking here and still in for half-a-hike. I'll have a truck & small trailer at Mather #162 on Thur, 2 wheelbarrows of dry firewood, 2 ice chests,room for tents,and a 6.5' pu bed w/ a camper top and a cot inside. Trailer kitchen available for all. Could also bring pads & bags if someone can't bring all they need on a plane. I'll just need to know in advance. I've learned a lot from you guys and you've inspired me to make this trip. Mi casa tu casa.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Head Count? on 03/22/2012 06:28:03 MDT Print View

Craig
the Art +3 (John, Nick, Carlyn(female))
does not include my brother, Ray, who is coming as a sort of backup support guy. he'll do BA-Phantom-BA. did you say something about sippie cups? does he qualify?

Jon L.
RRR stats :
South Kaibab-North Kaibab-South Kaibab is 42 miles (most runners in this group)

Bright Angel-North Kaibab-Bright Angel is 47 miles (a few of us)

elevation gain is the key though, and roughly the same for either way, 10,000 to 11,000 ft depending on how you calculate it.

Edited by asandh on 03/22/2012 06:36:21 MDT.

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
RRR halfway-ish... on 03/22/2012 06:53:59 MDT Print View

Hey, for those of you going halfway, maybe consider going a couple more miles to get to Ribbon Falls. Its an easy walk from Phantom, and Its worth it and a very nice place for lunch, rest, a shower if its hot, and a photo op. Its where i usually run to on my days off to chill and eat too. heres a link to pix I took in November. (taking SK to falls is a couple miles shorter than the 16 I posted here...guess it'd be more like 13.5-ish from SK)

http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/about4288.html

Edited by everyday on 03/22/2012 06:59:25 MDT.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

hmm on 03/22/2012 07:49:56 MDT Print View

David and all, this sounds really intriguing. I'm 27 and in good shape. To be honest though, I'm not much of a trail runner and don't have much experience. I averaged about 16+ or so miles a day hiking on the Long Trail when I lived in Vermont with a 20+ pound pack. So this would be longer and more grueling, but I would only be carrying a day pack.

For the "halfway" crowd are there plans to eventually drive back to the main trailhead for people to pick up their cars? I've read it's a long drive. Is there a halfway crowd?

Let me ponder this today. I would love to join but not sure if I can hang with the trail running crowd. I live within driving distance of the trail, so it is a possibility - and I'd love to meet some SW BPLers as I said before.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: hmm on 03/22/2012 08:05:19 MDT Print View

Jon
everyone is doing an "out and back".
that means the halfway crowd will not go all the way to the North Rim.
they will go to Phantom Ranch, Cottonwood, Roaring Springs, then turn around and go back to South Rim.

yes its a bit of a logistical issue to get from North Rim back to South Rim if that's where your hike ends.

as others have mentioned, its not just about the mileage, the 10-11,000 ft of elevation gain will kick your butt.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Thanks! on 03/22/2012 08:11:53 MDT Print View

Thanks Art, I realize most of the info is in the thread, but it's tough to sift through 20 pages.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
North Rim on 03/22/2012 08:29:28 MDT Print View

Jon- I believe the North Rim is closed (May 15 opening???) hence the start at the South Kaibab, I'd love to do a R2R as I'm more comfortable w/ that mileage :) thus the reason we're all starting (and finishing) on the South side

not sure of the status of the road(s) to the North Rim- perhaps it is open????, I'm sure we could we do a key pass and have the vehicle on the North driven around to the South- it is a long ways though ~ 200 miles

Mike

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Yeh, far way on 03/22/2012 08:40:57 MDT Print View

I think Art's idea of doing an out and back makes more sense. Even if the road is open, it's a FAR drive.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: hmm on 03/22/2012 10:30:07 MDT Print View

Jon: It sounds like you know or can assess what you're in for based on your experience. If you haven't done any GCNP hikes, you may not grasp just how many climatic conditions you can experience in day. An early morning start could be 20F if the night was clear and cold. Mid afternoon in the Inner Canyon could be 85F. Hopefully the Rim will be in high 30s and it won't get over 75F at the River, but you never know - I've had 110F in summer and then driving hail and high winds 2 hours later.

I promise you I'm hiking more than I'm running. I haven't gotten ANY trail running yet cause (1) there's still 3 feet of snow and (2) I don't want to run on the highway. So I've been doing stairs, stationary bike and stomping around in snow shoes. Mike has also indicated he's more of a lover not a fighter, er, I mean hiker not a runner.

There's a park shuttle from the Bright Angel Trailhead back to South Kaibab Trailhead, but not if you finish at 10 pm (like I did walking my first R2R2R). So I'm returning to the South Kaibab trailhead where my car will be parked.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

woah on 03/27/2012 19:27:46 MDT Print View

Ya'll are hardcore. I can hike for 18 hours straight easy. Since I found and replied to this thread I have started to trail run. I can do a difficult trail for about 4 miles at altitude before being winded. Kudos to everyone doing this. There is no way I can run this trail. Honestly, I admire everyone partaking in this. Though I won't be running this with you, this thread has created a new love for trail running in me and hopefully this time next year (or on a Fall trip) I will join BPL for a R2R2R2 run.

Edited by jleeb on 03/27/2012 19:32:29 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Sneak Peek: R2R2R Mugs on 03/28/2012 22:41:31 MDT Print View

100% handmade high fire (~2350 F) stoneware. Everything is drying and awaiting firing now. Hope I don't jinx things with this picture, there's still a few things that could go wrong. High fire ceramics is never exact; a few variables will get introduced in the glazing and firing...but so far, I'm happy with everything.

Here's to a good day out there and filling these up on Saturday night!

Rob Lee
(roblee) - M

Locale: Southern High Plains
Re: Sneak Peek: R2R2R Mugs on 03/28/2012 23:37:51 MDT Print View

Craig, This is really an amazing thing you are doing for these guys.

I'm excited to meet you all. My plan is to have the campfire ready to go and plenty of iced beverages for when the REAL trekkers finish.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
R2R2R beer mugs!!! Yeah buddy. on 03/29/2012 05:43:57 MDT Print View

Whaaaaaaaaaaat!!!???

Unreal Craig, unreal. Those are blowing my mind right now. Wow.

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
RRRmugs on 03/29/2012 07:16:46 MDT Print View

Dood! those mugs are so cool! Awesome job! :) I dont drink alcohol, but theyll work for my chocolate milk!