Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 03/06/2012 11:16:59 MST Print View

Awesome Brian! You guys are strong.

Btw, did you make it to the iditarod invitational afterall? If so, how was the experience? I'm sure we'll all pick at you about it in April when we meet up.

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
r2r2r mules on 03/07/2012 09:01:59 MST Print View

@ Art, they, the mules, go DOWN BA at that time. :)

Edited by everyday on 03/07/2012 23:19:47 MST.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney) - M

Locale: Greater Gila
re: R2R2R ultimate direction hook up on 03/08/2012 14:01:36 MST Print View

post deleted.

Edited by vaporjourney on 03/09/2012 12:46:30 MST.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Training log on 03/14/2012 01:06:11 MDT Print View

Thanks to all of you for the huge support, Feeling the love right now!

For those interested...

Injury training plan week 1. Goal is to maintain conditioning only. 1-2hr daily workout followed by slow 20 minute run. Foam roller on the ITB before each run. Week 2 bring build back up to a 1hour run with cross training every other day maybe.

Mon..1:00 underwater running, :10 run
Tues...1:20 cycling, :20 core, :20 run
We'd...1:20 underwater running, :20 run

Edited by Lopez on 03/14/2012 21:55:29 MDT.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney) - M

re: R2R2R (i'm in!) on 03/20/2012 23:03:16 MDT Print View

Welp, after both running 25 miles last weekend with 5,500 ft of gain AND booking Mather site #159, I'm officially joining the festivities at the South Rim. I'll be bringing my family; consisting of my Girlfriend, her 4 yr old son, and our 3 month old daughter. The daughter and son are both very chill, and can always wander away with Tanya if need be. If anyone has any reservations about bringing kids near the camping area, please feel free to say so and we can either move to another site and/or put the kids up for adoption (I kid!).

Either way, the stoke is high for this run.

My gear will surely be simple:

-UD wasp with 64 oz bladder
-20 oz handheld (homemade bike tube variety)
-synthetic souvenir race tee
-Headsweats visor
-Optic Nerve sunglasses
-arm warmers
-Golite Wisp windshirt
-running shorts from target (w/ MYOG outer pockets for salt)
-Drymax Hyperlite socks
-Some sort of La Sportiva shoe (testing out Vertical K's this weekend)

I plan to primarily fuel by rocking Mike Clelland goo's, supplemented with some fig newtons and chips. Water all the way with Succeed! caps for electrolytes, and surely lemonade at Phantom Ranch as a treat.

I may also bring an mp3 player to rock some heavy metal and/or hip-hop on that final climb if and when I hit a serious wall...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: re: R2R2R (i'm in!) on 03/21/2012 07:38:16 MDT Print View

good deal, this going to be fun!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: re: R2R2R (i'm in!) on 03/21/2012 08:45:19 MDT Print View

Eric - I think we're in the site next to yours.
we'll try not to keep the kids awake with our all night partying the night before the run.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 03/21/2012 09:11:15 MDT Print View

Eric,

So what you're saying is I should plan on leaving the Colt 45 and NWA album in the car.

Ok. ;-)

I'm glad both you and your family are coming, looking forward to meeting everyone. Your list looks really good, simple. Save a few Newtons for me will ya?

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 03/21/2012 14:44:34 MDT Print View

Eugene-

I made it back from the ITI! It was a great trip and experience although the race itself didn't go quite as planned.

I went up there for 2 different races....the ITI and the Susitna 100. I entered the bike category in both. The Susitna was absolutely incredible in all respects: perfect weather, great trail conditions, good company and my legs felt great.

The ITI was a complete fiasco. It snowed 3 feet in the 48 hours before the event. We had no trail to follow and were in knee to thigh deep snow basically from the start line. I walked my bike to Yentna(70 miles into the race) and it took almost 48 hours to get that far. At that point a few of us did the math and decided that we didn't really want to walk next to our bikes for the next 6 days. We wound up taking a very scenic flight out with a local pilot.

Soo.....long story short....a fantastic, memorable experience but not the best race.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll soon. I'm sure a group like this will have more than enough stories to occupy many a campfire hour.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
R2R2R family edition on 03/21/2012 17:56:30 MDT Print View

Eric, we're all family people, no problem at all. But they have to run the canyon with us! ;)

Heck, my wife has played with the idea of showing up with my kids. My brother who's a road biker has told me he's going to be there to watch me crawl out of the canyon and cheer me on. We'll see, i may tell them to stay home if my legs dont show up soon.

Totally impressed by Brian's adventures and misadventures.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney) - M

re: R2R2R 40s with the fam on 03/21/2012 18:07:59 MDT Print View

Whoa there friends, no need to leave the 40oz bottles at home! Drink all the whiskey and Colt 45 you want. None of us are uptight, and I sure as heck don't try to shield my family from alcohol and/or fun. I have a slight suspicion that no one will have a raging drinking session the night before, but if there is energy, maybe the night after??

Brian: I'm completely excited to chat with you if you show up about the ITI. This race is high on my list, though I'm horrified of the entry fee ;)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Stupid human tricks, northern division on 03/21/2012 18:14:08 MDT Print View

"I'm completely excited to chat with you if you show up about the ITI."

So is there going to be a sizeable Alaskan (residents and wanna-bes) doing R2R2R?

More than the terrestial 300-milers, I've been eyeing that little cross-border, 300-mile canoe race that goes from our friend neighbor to the east down the Yukon River.

I learned long ago that the best way to keep your mind off the pain of your current death march is to be planning the next one as you hike.

I've got the smoked salmon set aside in the freezer for the trip to PHX.

brian blair
(donkey)

The ITI on 03/21/2012 18:15:32 MDT Print View

I'll bring my laptop so you can view some photos from the 2 races this winter.....that'll have you convinced about the need to get up there!

Back on topic.....if I keep rolling my left ankle I'm going to be doing some serious walking on April 14th!

brian blair
(donkey)

Alaskan Wanna-bes on 03/21/2012 18:17:16 MDT Print View

I think I'd fall into the Alaskan Wanna-be category......I've been up there 3 times in the past 13 months!

B

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Head Count? on 03/21/2012 18:38:25 MDT Print View

Can we get another head count? The other one done a while ago was buried in one of these threads and new people have popped up since then.

I'm trying to get the beer mugs finished but I'm not sure I've made enough...don't want to leave anyone out. Just need the number of runners.

Tell me if this is right for R2R2R participants:
Craig
Adan
Eugene
Dan M.
Dan H.
Martin
Art +3
Greg
Mike M.
David Thomas
Rob Lee (hiking to the river and back and support)
Torrey
Brian
Eric
Joshua M.

So I've got 18.
Did I miss anyone?

Updated to include Joshua M.
Updated for Martin and Dan M.
Updated for Art +3

Edited by xnomanx on 03/21/2012 22:51:02 MDT.

brian blair
(donkey)

Beer Mugs!! on 03/21/2012 18:49:12 MDT Print View

Craig-

Beer mugs! That's awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'll have Joshua Malpass with me, so I guess that makes 15

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Beer Mugs!! on 03/21/2012 18:51:16 MDT Print View

OK, got Joshua.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Head Count? on 03/21/2012 18:56:13 MDT Print View

Craig: That's very kind of you. I once mentioned bringing a friend, but he has to re-cert on his firearms training that week. So only one of us from Kenai Alaska on your list is correct. -David Thomas

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 03/21/2012 19:06:18 MDT Print View

Craig,

Coming from New Mexico:

Myself
Dan Hewins
Martin Miera (my father in law)
Dan Carter (currently in Sedona climbing, should be there on April 14th)

You're the man.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Beer Mugs!! on 03/21/2012 19:38:01 MDT Print View

Craig- very nice gesture- if you want you can drill some holes in mine at ~ the 3/4 mark or put on there R2closebutnocigar2R :)

David- sent you a pm w/ my motel info

Mike