Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 02/03/2012 21:51:31 MST Print View

Maybe another time under different circumstances Brad.

I threw down a fatty green chile cheeseburger this evening Craig. Miles logged today? 0

Enjoy that IPA.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Big fat 0 on 02/03/2012 22:17:48 MST Print View

I'm with you, Craig. I had a particularly stressful day today and my daughter commented that I looked sad and that I should go running. She says I always look happy after I go running. She's a wise little chucklehead.

Hey Eugene, I'd be hitting the chile burger everyday if I lived in your area. A friend of mine brings me chiles back from NM, seriously good Rajas!

Tonight a cold bottle of stout. Tomorrow, a good mountain ramble.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
0 on 02/04/2012 09:15:02 MST Print View

VFW has a all you can eat fish fry every first Friday of the month, I don't think they made much $ on me :)

miles ran on Friday 0 (although I did hit the gym earlier in the day)

longer run (for me) planned for today though

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
I did good, well sorta! on 02/04/2012 09:31:44 MST Print View

I was very happy with my very long 4 mile road run Friday! Made it through with no foot pain. Will be trying 10 in a few minutes. Hopefully that will be pain free as well and I can start getting back onto the trail next week.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

plan B's on 02/08/2012 17:56:58 MST Print View

don't want to jinx myself, but figure it might be worth having a plan B(s) just in case my fitness level isn't up to the 42 mile limit

I was thinking two possible options- SK->Cottonwood Campground-> SK, figured that might be a natural turn around spot as there is water (well we hope there will be water!) and the terrain is relatively gentle up to that point, would make for roughly a 30 mile trip

for an easier yet option, SK-> river -> Bright Angel, that would be ~ 16 miles

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: plan B's on 02/08/2012 18:23:59 MST Print View

Mike: I'm behind where I'd like to be because so much of January was -25F. I'm doing enough stair work that Rim-River-Rim and then some is all going to be fun, but I don't have the horizontal miles yet to be a happy camper after a full R2R2R. I'm not ruling that out, and ought to just go bundle up and walk the frozen beach everday (or Walmart), but I could imagine being more sane than macho come April 14th. No way am I running the whole thing - these trailrunning dudes are just a different species than I am. So it might be more "How far can I go in moderately-paced 12-14 hours?" than "How fast can I do 42 horizontal and 4 vertical miles?"

Is one way to look at it: You'll hike a comfortable pace for X hours, then turn around and take 1.5X to get back? X = 3 or 3.5 means River and back, 8-9 hours total - way doable. X = 4 or 5 means more of the NK.

-David

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: plan B's on 02/08/2012 19:26:38 MST Print View

David- you guys have been getting hammered w/ the cold- I feel for you, it's gets very old in a hurry :(

"How far can I go moderately-paced in 12-14 hours?" I think that's the way I'm thinking about it as well

I'd love to be able to eat the whole enchilada, but I'll plenty happy w/ just a large piece of it :)

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: plan B's on 02/08/2012 19:58:52 MST Print View

David and Mike
the little secret about us ultra "runners" is that we do quite a bit of power walking in something like an RRR. I've even seen the elite runners walk some uphills.
So you're not too far behind if you can keep walking.

RRR is doable, just depends on your definition of Fun, and how much you want to sight see.

Edited by asandh on 02/10/2012 09:26:39 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: plan B's on 02/08/2012 20:04:25 MST Print View

Art- looking at the elevation profiles and taking into account the 42 miles- walking is most definitely in the cards for me :)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: plan B's on 02/08/2012 20:17:17 MST Print View

don't know what elevation you guys live at, but 7-8,000 ft will definitely be a factor for those not used to it.
I live at sea level and I know it will hit me.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

elevation on 02/08/2012 20:41:59 MST Print View

Art- that part of the elevation equation won't be a problem for me, it's the part where you're substantially adding or subtracting elevation- that's going to kick my rump :)

Mike

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

plan B's for flatlanders on 02/08/2012 23:27:16 MST Print View

Art,

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know that one of the "runners" is a run-walker and not planning on doing a 10-hour round trip.

Regarding,

"don't know what elevation you guys live at"

From my house, I can p1ss in salt water. And we don't live on the Great Salt Lake.

The 6 hours of flights to Phoenix will be at a cabin pressure equilavent to 7,500 feet. I'll take any acclimitization I can get!

Benjamin Ludwig
(Ender) - F

Locale: Mid-West
GC Rim to Rim on 02/09/2012 03:20:34 MST Print View

I was planning this exact same trip for late May and my Permits just got denied. Any suggestions how I could do this better?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: GC Rim to Rim on 02/09/2012 04:01:59 MST Print View

Benjamin: You don't need a permit for this (or any other dayhike) in GCNP. Yet.

Yosemite has already gone over to the dark side regarding permits for Half Dome dayhikes even though there have been more deaths in GCNP then Yosemite.

But for a Rim to Rim to Rim, just show up and go. A lot of training between now and then is highly recommended. Late May will be a lot hotter in the inner Canyon yhan mid April. My 11-year-old and I totally lucked out late this last May (South Rim - River - South Rim) because it only got to 87F.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: plan B's for flatlanders on 02/09/2012 07:30:11 MST Print View

David, I'm pretty sure most of us "runners" will be doing a fair amount of walking, though I have a feeling Greg probably walks faster than I'll be running.

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
r2r2r on 02/09/2012 09:04:25 MST Print View

Hello! My name's Torrey and I know one of your friends, Adan, from the SGMDF-forum. I live at the south rim of the canyon (actually inside the park in GC Villiage...i work there) anywho..Ide very much like to join you guys on your run! Ive run down both Kaibab as well as Bright Angel trail to the river n back , and sometimes farther (Ribbon Falls, and Cottonwood camp, 32 miles round trip) numerous times, since june to now, i think its been 11 times? anyways, I run a lot and know the terrain and am fit enough, so im hoping to join you guys. I always run alone out here cause no one else ive met runs 25+ miles on trails, so itll be kinda cool to go with other people for once!

from south rim to river/bridge on Kaibab trail--70 minutes...back up--2hr 20min

south rim to river/bridge on Bright angel--1hr 41 min...up--3hr 25min.

Kaibab to cottonwood camp--3hr 30min

25 canyon miles/random trails,tonto etc --5hr 00min

i didnt put up maps cause im guessin you guys have seen em and mileage/ele. anyway, thats my times for that stuff, i havent been to the top of the North rim yet, so itll be neat if i can go with you all, It looks from the list im the only girl, so hopefully Im not too slow, though if i am, i dont expect anyone to wait for me, I know my way around down there. ok. later... :)

Edited by everyday on 02/09/2012 09:07:14 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: r2r2r on 02/09/2012 09:12:04 MST Print View

torrey your times don't look slow at all to me.
what a deal, living in the Park.

Can you keep us tuned in regarding the water situation at Cottonwood and the cabin at Roaring Springs ?

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
r2r2r on 02/09/2012 09:28:00 MST Print View

Fo Sho! theres always water around, cause a ranger is always at cottonwood camp, and a painter guy lives at the pump-house out by roaring springs. Yes, the faucets are still off in april, but they usually have big gatorade kegs outside full of water, thats where i get my re-fills out there. Also, i know they say not too, but i always drink and fill bottles right outa the creeks down there and ive never gotten sick (i wouldnt in the middle of summer...) But, in winter/early spring it seems fine/ not poluted by lil tourist kids, etc... bring those purifying tablet thingys if youre worried bout it I suppose :)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: r2r2r on 02/09/2012 12:03:35 MST Print View

Hi Torrey- good to know on the water, the "official" site shows no water @ Cottonwood & Roaring Springs- good to know that isn't the case.

It'll be nice to have an "insider" w/ the group, I know I probably speak for everyone, but what a nice place to be able to train!

Mike

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Everyday on 02/09/2012 22:42:39 MST Print View

Hey Torrey!

Glad you popped in to say hi, it's cool to see a girl represent! I have three daughters, I'm all about the girl power! You're running this stuff pretty fast, I'll try not to trip you up as you go by. I'm shooting more for like a " finish in any way possible" time frame.

This is gonna be fun, getting excited people.