Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: punk rock windshirts on 01/31/2012 08:51:20 MST Print View

September/this coming fall would be a great time for it Ben. You guys could either fly out to LA and go with me or fly into Fresno and get picked up...One way or another, let's do it.

Headlamps:
Adan, I'd go with a Petzl Tikka +2 or Zipka +2. It's a great little light, lots of burn time and I've always liked the red LED mode for in camp/in the tent- it won't blind your friends. I have my big old MYO RXP but that's overkill for the R2R2R, more for all-nighters. Unless the R2R2R turns into an all-nighter....but that's not the plan, right?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Black Diamond Storm on 01/31/2012 09:24:28 MST Print View

I would totally suggest the Petzl Tikka XP2, had the housing and diffuser not failed on me recently. I damaged the housing somehow, so may just be my fault and not the lamp in general which until recently has been solid. The design on the diffuser slides up and down to allow for spot or flood mode, but it kept sliding down on mine half way a little over a week a go-only took me a few bewildered night runs to figure out why my lighting wasnt up to snuff. It is still a good versatile lamp with the exception of that diffuser IMO. I think the Black Diamond storm offers more bang for less however.

Black Diamond Storm over Tikka XP2.... Why?

Regulated for the first 30% of battery life

100 lumen max vs 60 (xp2)

Flood/spot (ridicously bright!)/strobe

Fully dimmable so you can dial in exactly the amount of light you need from torch to super dim, whereas my XP2 has 3 settings

More weather resistant rating, submersible....not sure why this would even be necessary?

Cheaper! I picked up mine @ runningwarehouse.com and used code: MILD for a 15% off discount which brings it around $43 shipped.

Either are good, just throwing the Storm in the hat as I'm thoroughly pleased with mine so far and can see running at night/morning easier now than with my XP2.

That Rae loop has me thinking, I think i'll be in solid shape for a good run of that nature; looks challenge as hell and fun. What's the total elevation gain over the full loop? How many miles in total? If you set a date count me in. I have a 50K planned for Sept and a 50 miler in October, so this would align well with training around then.

Edited by Eugeneius on 01/31/2012 09:30:30 MST.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
headlamp and lube on 01/31/2012 15:46:50 MST Print View

Headlamp: I use the Black Diamond Sprinter - It's light weight, has a rechargeable battery, and is fairly bright. I never really have any problem with getting ahead of it, which happens with some lights. It also has a red LED on the back that blinks (w/ on/off) if you're out on the road and want to stand out a little more than the reflective elements of your clothes.

Lube: Also, I was fumbling through my running drawer and came across my body glide stick... Since I don't read much about hiking/backpacking practices, so I am not sure if this is typically used, but when running long distances you really want to slather this stuff on any place that may rub (thighs, groin, nips, underarms, toes and heels etc etc...) Chafing can end your day just as quickly as a bad stomach. I get the stick form (comes in gel too) w/ SPF protection for no particular reason other than I get both forms of protection in one application. You can also use Vaseline/duct tape etc to reduce chafing.

Edited by hewinsd on 01/31/2012 19:09:33 MST.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Great info on 01/31/2012 16:06:36 MST Print View

Thanks Dan, the lube is going on my list pronto! I'm checking the headlamps out today, thanks guys!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

lubed up headlamps on 01/31/2012 16:37:36 MST Print View

You might be a trailrunner if you've ever used the words 'lube' and 'headlamp' in the same sentence.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Multipurposing lube and headlamps on 01/31/2012 18:53:41 MST Print View

>"You might be a trailrunner if you've ever used the words 'lube' and 'headlamp' in the same sentence."

As a member of the National Speleological Society, I have to point out that there are numerous jokes to be made about spelunking as well, but maybe I better not go there.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

quickly approaching on 02/01/2012 10:14:28 MST Print View

January is dead and gone-10 weeks left folks!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for the considerable warmth of spring and the long days.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Spring on 02/01/2012 10:30:02 MST Print View

I heard that, Eugene. Although if its still light out when I get off of work it will be tougher to change into my running skivies if there's still people walking around the park! Maybe I'll try Craig's trick for peeing on the trail and just yell "Wang Out!!". :)

Craig made a good point the other day. If we dont get some warm weather soon it will be tough to get conditioned for the weather we'll encounter across the bottom of the ditch. Some of you folks have it even tougher, like Mike, running in frigid conditions all the time!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: quickly approaching on 02/01/2012 10:46:15 MST Print View

... all of a sudden things don't seem far away.

Edited by asandh on 02/14/2012 08:49:19 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Spring on 02/01/2012 12:00:04 MST Print View

I'm with you Adan. I change at the trailhead before work and on my short lunch runs, key is spreading everything out and making that transition from working man to running man smooth as a magician. If you're good no one will ever know what they witnessed. "Did he just.....!?"

What race are you running Art?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Spring on 02/01/2012 12:08:45 MST Print View

Old Goats 50

Edited by asandh on 02/01/2012 12:40:51 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 02/02/2012 11:48:00 MST Print View

Would you consider yourself an 'Old Goat' Art? Best of luck to ya over the next 6 weeks or so. Looking forward to hearing how you run in the Ol Goat 50.

We're putting on a free multi distance (5mile, 1/2 mar, full mar) event in two weeks, check out our website:

Http://www.sierravistatrailrun.wordpress.com

We're currently at full capacity on ultrasignup.com....didn't think that was going to happen. I wont be running the race but attempting to play the role of rookie race director, luckily we have lots of ambitious volunteers willing to hang out in the desert all day.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 02/02/2012 11:55:28 MST Print View

looks like a great event Eugene. how do you manage to do it Free? there must be some expenses. Best of luck as RD, looks like a lot of work.

and, well, I guess I'm an old goat, but the race isn't limited to my kind.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

XP2 vs Storm on 02/02/2012 11:58:13 MST Print View

Hey Eugene, that Storm looks pretty good. I ran last night with my cheapie 40 lumen POS and I think it would be nice to have a lot more light. Only thing is the Storm is kinda heavy, does it bounce at all when you run? Of course, you probably float up the gnarliest trail perfectly smooth like a an escalator. I tend to bounce, crash and limp my way along so I need a pretty stable headtorch. The new XP2 says 80 lumens and almost an oz lighter, but if the Storm is not too bouncy then I'll check that one out since the price is close.

Edited by Lopez on 02/02/2012 12:02:24 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Headlamps ? ... don't worry on 02/02/2012 12:23:50 MST Print View

Regarding headlamps specifically for the R2R2R, I'd say go light as possible and don't worry too much.

April 14
Twilight - 5:29 am
Sunrise - 5:55 am
Sunset - 6:59 pm
Evening twilight - 7:25 pm

so probably 13.5 to 14 hours of usuable light without a headlamp.
headlamps for maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour in the morning,
and none to 3 hours at night depending on speed.

moon will be in final phase so won't be of any use, the sliver rising after 1 am.

when I do all night runs, I carry both a Petzl Tika Plus and a handheld flashlight for backup (plus extra batteries). I won't be doing that for the R2R2R.

Edited by asandh on 02/02/2012 12:54:46 MST.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

no worries on 02/02/2012 12:35:43 MST Print View

That's good to know Art. Where do you find all that info about moon phases, good stuff! I need something because much of my daily running 6-9pm on trails and firebreaks. I'll keep my small light then for the GC.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Sun and Moon Data on 02/02/2012 12:50:09 MST Print View

this web site

Sun and Moon

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 02/02/2012 14:37:28 MST Print View

@ Art,

I'm directing this with a running friend who works with the BLM, so he had some clout in pushing it through approval. We were able to keep this event free, by necessity (had to be a "noncompetitive" event and under 100 entrants) and also due to donations of time and resources. I have come out of pocket little to none, as have others. It will be a glorified fat ass style run, probably a good mix of first time trail runners and some very experienced- it will be a good time.

@Adan,

I wish I floated uphill! Im 6', 168, so not a small guy, running uphill isn't as efficient as it could be, but Ive grown stronger over the last few years. My good friend is a tiny dude, he weighs a scant 130lbs and is about 5'5", he can literally bounce uphill for miles with minimal effort....its both amazing to watch and frustrating to follow behind!

On the Storm, it is a little forward heavy in comparison to the XP2, due to the 4 AAA batts, but not anything really noticeable. If you cover shipping I will send out the Tikka XP2 to ya, a tiny tiny spot of JB weld or epoxy on the housing will keep the diffuser from sliding down mid run. Everything else on the lamp is in total working order and will serve you well. I used up some gift cash, otherwise I would just keep it. I'm a backsliding "No New Gear for 2012" follower.

b s
(smyth) - F
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 02/03/2012 19:20:30 MST Print View

Lots of great info here and in the other thread. I particularly learned a lot from the "fueling" discussion. Thanks for all the personal insight. Unfortunately, I'm withdrawing from this attempt. Just too many setbacks in training with my bum foot and work travel.

Good luck everyone.

Brad

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 02/03/2012 20:55:31 MST Print View

Planned a 10 mile run tonight, called it quits and turned around only 5 minutes into it.

Came home and cracked a White Hawk IPA.

Sometimes it's all you can do :)