Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/23/2012 10:17:57 MST Print View

i'm out. f'n ankle!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
R2R2R accomodations on 01/23/2012 11:17:25 MST Print View

camp site booked ... Friday and Saturday nights only.

3 people, 2 cars, so far.

. . .

Edited by asandh on 02/14/2012 08:47:53 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
r2r2r on 01/24/2012 16:39:12 MST Print View

Ben- sorry to hear that :( hope you get better soon

looks like things are starting to firm up nicely :)

Mike

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run on 01/24/2012 16:51:27 MST Print View

"i'm out. f'n ankle!"

Ben, maybe you and I can make it this fall. (I'll need some art work done as to not look out of place.)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run on 01/24/2012 17:24:22 MST Print View

Sorry Ben and Thom, I was looking forward to meeting you guys.

There's also always the Rae Lakes loop in the Sierra...I was going to try and wrangle some people into running that next fall.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Rae Lakes on 01/24/2012 18:20:57 MST Print View

That is also on my trail running list. The next BPL Trail run?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Rae Lakes on 01/24/2012 18:25:30 MST Print View

Yeah, let's do it Greg. I've wanted to coax Eugene and others out for it. Chris Mills (also on BPL, though not much lately) and I were talking about doing it last year but both of us were having running issues when the time came around. It's still a big one on my list- it's absolutely beautiful country out there, I'm not sure trail running can get much better...though 45 miles at 9000-12000 feet is no small task. Maybe something to think about for September/October 2012?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Back to "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run on 01/24/2012 18:42:46 MST Print View

Rae Lakes sounds great.

Edited by asandh on 02/13/2012 17:25:20 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/24/2012 19:14:52 MST Print View

Craig, it wouldn't take much to coax me into doing something like running the Rae Lakes Loop.

Let's throw some ideas in the hat when we meet up in April.

*btw, that green Tachyon windshirt looks pretty punk rock from where I'm sitting.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/24/2012 20:12:30 MST Print View

"*btw, that green Tachyon windshirt looks pretty punk rock from where I'm sitting."

It's sold, shipped out today, no mas. In my hands is a beautiful black Houdini to replace it. I like the Houdini better; the Montbell is a great shirt, but I think the Houdini breathes better- just got back from running in it. I also like the full zip a bit better for venting. And it's better for lurking in the dark.

I'm getting excited about this trip gentlemen. I initially thought this would be primarily a quick, down and dirty run, but I think the camping is going to be a blast too.

I wasn't clear- did everyone reserve the campsites for Thursday night as well or just Friday/Sat?

I'll be getting in Thursday, can sleep in the forest for free if I have to.

Edited by xnomanx on 01/24/2012 20:20:02 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

R2R2R arrangements on 01/25/2012 09:31:20 MST Print View

I reserved site #161 for Fri/Sat only, thought we would camp somewhere outside the park if we get in on Thursday. I heard from Eric Payne yesterday and he still is hoping to join us and should know soon.

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
Yes(hopefully) on 01/25/2012 17:48:39 MST Print View

I'll(hopefully)be there with one other(Joshua M) from Southern California. We'll arrive Friday evening and stay through Sunday afternoon/evening.

I say hopefully because I'm a little leery to full-on commit this far out. I'm heading to Alaska for the ITI in February and am going to hold off on committing to anything challenging until I get back:-)

On the Rae Lake Loop topic: Yes! Joshua and I ran it in September and it was absolutely perfect/awesome. Took about 11 hours with two shoes-off snack breaks and alot of socializing with other folks. It's the perfect loop. I hope to run it at least once per year until I'm rendered incapable!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/25/2012 18:15:07 MST Print View

Brian,

Hopefully things work out and we all get a chance to meet and run. Keep in touch here later on and we'll make the arrangements if you and Josh want to crash with the group at the campsites.

Are you competing in the Invitational? If so, best of luck to ya man, that's nuts!

brian blair
(donkey)

Locale: Silverado Canyon
.. on 01/25/2012 18:19:07 MST Print View

I wouldn't say competing......more like "participating"!

Should be fun, I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll as well.

BB

Rob Lee
(roblee) - MLife

Locale: Southern High Plains
Re: .. on 01/25/2012 22:56:01 MST Print View

Craig asked,"I wasn't clear- did everyone reserve the campsites for Thursday night as well or just Friday/Sat? I'll be getting in Thursday, can sleep in the forest for free if I have to."

I have site 162 on Thur. Plenty of room to share.

Brent Huntzinger
(bhuntzin) - F

Locale: Springs
RE on 01/26/2012 13:11:15 MST Print View

I just found this thread yesterday and I have to admit the first thing I thought was that it was crazy. As I read through it though my opinion changed quite a bit and all I can say is that by the end I am really excited. I know that I am late in the game, and unfortunately I can't commit 100%, but you can count me in the "probably" group. I also might have room in the car from the Denver/Colorado Springs area depending on if my wife/kids want to see the Grand Canyon or not.

Brent

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Headlamp on 01/31/2012 00:15:12 MST Print View

I need a headlamp, which one do you guys use?

Edited by Lopez on 01/31/2012 07:12:25 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Headlamp on 01/31/2012 07:24:50 MST Print View

I'm sure everyone will swear by their favorite light.
I currently use both the Petzel Tikka Plus, and the Black Diamond Spot.
think they are both unregulated, which is what I want.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Headlamp on 01/31/2012 07:27:48 MST Print View

I'm using a Zebralight H31, runs on a single CR123- chose it over the H51 as I use a Steripen (that also uses CR123's)- there is good (long, but detailed) thread floating around here on the Zebralight

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
punk rock windshirts on 01/31/2012 08:37:59 MST Print View

alright eugene, craig, and the punk rock windshirt crew.

as you can imagine i'm feeling pretty bummed about not getting out to the GC in april. So in my lame-ness i've been looking at this rae lakes loop. Looks pretty awesome from my computer desk!

I know you guys are all in mode for april, but Craig, do some coaxing....you could probably get me and Eugene to go.