Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
flights on 01/18/2012 19:24:24 MST Print View

that might just work for me, looks like I'm going to have to fly on Thursday (the Friday flight arrives too late)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: lodging on 01/18/2012 20:18:25 MST Print View

I'm still not sure what I want to do for lodging. I want to talk to Eugene, also waiting to see if a friend from my area is coming or not.

I'm tempted to dirtbag it in the forest near SK and sleep in the car both nights...But I'm all for getting drunk and smashing up Davids hotel room. Par-Tay!!!

As for route, my vote is SK-NK-SK, simply because I know the trails and will know what to expect for the final climb out of the canyon. But it's hardly a deal-breaker for me if people want to do something else.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 16:58:47 MST Print View

My wallet is telling me Mathers Campground, but my body is screaming hotel, especially for Saturday evening.

I'm still up in the air as for where I'll be crashing, most likely it will be somewhere within the park to utilize the free shuttle service and minimize the logistics of getting to and from the S.Kaibab trailhead pre/post run.

At this point Mathers Campground appears to be the simplest and most affordable option for me. I need to check with my hombre Dan who is coming up for the run, as well as my father in law who has given me a two thumbs up in joining us, he's clicking along real well in his training so I'm pumped he will be joining our wild contingent.

I really want to spend Saturday night staring into a fire with a cheap beer in hand, recollecting on the day.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 18:09:58 MST Print View

>"I really want to spend Saturday night staring into a fire with a cheap beer in hand, recollecting on the day."

I do, too. Can I bring a few sixers of good beer?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 18:39:09 MST Print View

Please do David, while you're at it, feel free to bring down some smoked salmon! ;-)

I will look into bringing up some Hatch valley green chile if I can get anyone to let some of their annual stock go. I'm almost out for the year.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 18:59:52 MST Print View

Hah! I've still got some NM green chiles from being on the Res in Jan '11 (San Ildefonso).

Will do on the beer. And on the smoked salmon. Hard-smoked sockeye is a no-brainer. Brown-sugar brine and hickory smoked - everyone likes it. How are you guys on lox? Eugene, you don't look terribly Jewish to me, but the best singer I ever heard in Temple was an XGF who had a similar complexion. And then there's SDJ.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 19:31:55 MST Print View

I'm down for staying in the campground with you Eugene. I was originally thinking about staying in the car, but that's more stealth, and likely not a scenario for lounging around a fire. Should we reserve some sites? Have you looked into openings, as well as how many people/cars per site?
Salmon and beer sounds good David. I'll bring a cooler of something, we'll all do it up...

...providing I'm not still limping around in the bottom of a canyon somewhere in the dark Saturday night....

Edited by xnomanx on 01/20/2012 19:34:50 MST.

Rob Lee
(roblee) - M

Locale: Southern High Plains
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 21:10:57 MST Print View

Mostly a lurker here and definitely not an ultra runner. None the less I've been following this thread with interest. I've not hiked to the river and really want to do that. I have the time so I'd like to join the group. I'd hike to river and return only and would help in a support role for the others.

I'll arrive at GC on Thursday April 12 in the afternoon pulling a 14' travel trailer. Site 162 in Mather is reserved. Using my Golden Age pass, entry and 3 nights is $27. They allow one tent and 6 total people per site in addition to my truck & trailer. My truck is 6.5' bed w/ camper shell that could sleep 2. I could bring a Hubba Hubba and some pads for 2 more, ice chests, and anything else that could help the cause. Showers are coin-op.

You guys have inspired me to do this so I'll be there. Let me know if someone wants to
join up at Mather.

Rob

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 21:22:58 MST Print View

Nice Rob. Good to meet you, so to speak. You're more than welcome and thanks for the support offer. We'll keep in touch on this thread.

I was just asking Eugene if he thought we should get two sites or not. So far, he has 3 people, I have myself and possibly one or two others. Haven't heard back from a few more that have spoken up on this thread but have been silent for a while...

So it seems we're totaling up to six that I know of right now for a campsite (not counting Mike and David using a hotel or Greg and Art who haven't spoken up on this yet), the max for a single campsite. We could possibly just use yours for overflow sleeping and all rally at one or the other site for campfires...???

I guess we should wait for Art and Greg to sound off about what they want to do.

But so far, I can confirm I'm in with Eugene and others for staying in a campsite.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Camping on 01/20/2012 21:54:22 MST Print View

Im in for a campout, stealth or campground. May have to bring a nice airmat. Not sure how the old bones will handle the hard ground.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 21:58:19 MST Print View

>"I've not hiked to the river and really want to do that."

A hike to the River is back is one of the best hikes in the World, IMO. It's great that you'll be able to do that.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 22:55:00 MST Print View

@ David,

We have your garden variety vacuum sealed salmon available at the more 'boutique' grocers in town, but I couldn't tell you much in regard to quality, wouldn't know the difference. I had plenty of quality salmon when I was younger living in the Olympic Penninsula, but what does a punk kid know?

@Craig,

I'm checking into campsites at Mathers, each site looks like they allow up to 6 individuals, 3 tents, and 2 vehicles so we should only need to reserve one or two sites. I will check into reserving a site near Rob Lee's site #162.

@Rob,

You're the man! Looking forward to meeting you out there and I appreciate you're generosity and willingness to hang around with a band of strangers. I haven't been down to the Colorado River so I'm with you in being a GC newbie that's looking to spread some wings.

Rob Lee
(roblee) - M

Locale: Southern High Plains
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 23:50:04 MST Print View

For some flying in, I have about 4-5 various mats, cooking & eating stuff, and a couple of old military bags, and some blankets I could bring. Those wanting help should post their needs and I can commit with what I have.

I'll check on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to bring my party guests into the park with my Pass. If that is proper I'd be glad to pick up some of you in the nearest town if you can secure safe parking.Otherwise you'd have to pay $25 and park where they say.It wouldn't be proper to ferry several loads of people into the park, but the rule says me and all my passengers get in free.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/20/2012 23:58:19 MST Print View

Rob: That's a nice offer. My read on my "Annual Pass" is that's good thru May 2012 and everyone in my car gets in on my pass.

Sounds like I'm in one queen bed and Mike is in another at the Red Feather Lodge. Which leaves 2 or 3 seats in my rental car to get people into the Park if I know where you're sleeping.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/21/2012 08:09:12 MST Print View

if I do camp I'd prefer an official spot with hot showers like Mather.

Edited by asandh on 02/14/2012 08:46:23 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/21/2012 08:30:39 MST Print View

Art,

Go to:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Mather_Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70971&topTabIndex=Search

Rob Lee is staying at site #162 in the Mather Campground, which I confirmed is already reserved so I know we're in the right place. Sites nearby #160, #161, #164 are all available and adjacent to him. If you click "TENT ONLY NON-ELECTRIC" you can see all the site numbers.

I'm going to reserve one of those sites later today.

Heading out for a long run w/ some folks here in a few, have a good one everyone!

Edited by Eugeneius on 01/21/2012 08:36:03 MST.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
NMicans on 01/22/2012 20:13:39 MST Print View

I'll be traveling up with Eugene and the other New Mexicans that are coming. I look forward to camping and relaxing with you all before/after the fun.

. ..
(dgowler)
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/22/2012 21:58:11 MST Print View

Fellas! I love the way this is shaping up. I got a gentle prod from Eugene via PM this morning and now having read all the activity here I feel like I'm close to vibrating with anticipation. I've certainly been absent from these threads, but my commitment has not. I want in on this BAD. I may have some scheduling complications with work but I think with a public declaration of intent here the peer pressure will help make things happen. I couldnt keep all the math straight with the spaces available in cars/campsites but I'd like to call dibs on a ride from PHX and a spot to sleep at Mathers CG if one is still available. I'll be flying into Phoenix the morning of the 13th as early as possible, I'll be the skinny redheaded kid in the airport with a winter coat still on and his thumb out bumming a ride.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 01/23/2012 07:07:00 MST Print View

Devon,

It's good to hear from you! I did receive your PM, thanks for the reply. We have two campsites currently side by side, so there is plenty of room for everyone going so far with the sites we have. Keep in touch when you do firm up your plans, either way, so we can get someone to pick you up in Phoenix if you do fly in.

Stay warm up there in those frigid temps, and if it helps, think about how warm it's going to be in April at the GC.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Ride from Phoenix on 01/23/2012 09:50:05 MST Print View

I haven't booked my trip yet but I will likely be flying in Friday morning. I will be renting a car and will have have room. As this gets closer we can firm up the arrangements.

Also I went ahead and booked site 160 so that we can accomodate anyone that may straggle in.

Edited by gg-man on 01/23/2012 09:59:18 MST.