Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
No worries on 04/05/2012 21:28:07 MDT Print View

Torrey, take care of yourself. We'll see you Friday.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/05/2012 21:39:13 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear about your brother. Take care of yourself and your family Torrey.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run on 04/05/2012 21:48:30 MDT Print View

Good luck to all of you. I'd like to make some snide comment, but the truth is, I'm insanely jealous that anyone has the physical ability to do this.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Torrey on 04/06/2012 07:52:23 MDT Print View

Torrey- very sorry to hear about your brother

Mike

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Re: Torrey on 04/06/2012 21:59:11 MDT Print View

Sorry to hear this news, hope everything works out ok. Hasta viernes.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
weather! on 04/07/2012 10:16:19 MDT Print View

this isn't looking so good :(

Photobucket

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Looking Great on 04/07/2012 10:23:17 MDT Print View

Since the weather people are always wrong we are sure to see great weather.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
water update on 04/07/2012 10:23:26 MDT Print View

Photobucket

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
weather on 04/07/2012 12:06:15 MDT Print View

You have ta look at tha details, ive been watching that storm...But its only a 20% chance of rain that day, So, thats an 80% chance it wont, (yesterday, the report said 40% chance...so its goin down... and even wen it does rain here it moves on pretty fast....im goin rain or shine, i wont melt.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
rain or shine on 04/07/2012 13:47:14 MDT Print View

seeing I'm flying a 1000 miles to get there, kind of goes w/o saying :)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: rain or shine on 04/07/2012 15:00:53 MDT Print View

well no mention today on the GC web site of the pipeline break that was posted April 5. does that mean its been repaired ?

hmmm, freezing rain, or scorching heat. which would we prefer ?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/07/2012 15:15:50 MDT Print View

I received a reply yesterday from my friend who works with the USFS and lives at the S. Rim Village, he told me the pipeline is fixed and Cottonwood and Roaring Springs will be running soon if not currently.

Also the trails are clear all the way up N. Kaibab, he said there should be no need (as of now) for microspikes.

Water should be fine.

Now for that weather? Hmmm. I would rather take scorching heat than freezing rain, but I'm a desert rat. Ill take what I can get, looking forward to this.

Dan Hewins
(hewinsd) - F

Locale: Chihuahuan Desert
Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/07/2012 18:44:54 MDT Print View

If I have any say I'll take the cold weather. However, the cold-and-wet is another story. Hopefully those 50-60F temps will occur sans the possible precipitation.

Edited by hewinsd on 04/07/2012 19:43:07 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: "Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim"- BPL Group Run" on 04/07/2012 19:35:41 MDT Print View

Fun times. Freezing rain changes the game plan a bit. As Dan said...I love cold, but cold and wet for 12 hours or more is a whole different thing.
But hey, what can we do. I guess this means I'll carry a bigger pack, some raingear, and a synthetic puffy.

It still scares me less than scorching heat though....

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Grand Canyon- Double Crossing aka "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim on 04/07/2012 19:42:22 MDT Print View

Mike,
rain or shine, kind of goes w/o saying :)

A great "old guy" attitude!

torrey saylor
(everyday) - F

Locale: south rim
changin forecast.. on 04/08/2012 07:20:23 MDT Print View

I checked local weather just now,(sunday 8th) and now it says zero percent chance of rain for the 14th, just cool n cloudy. So, it went from 40%, ta 20% ta 0%...however its now 50% chance for friday, so it may b a lil wet when u arrive....its still 5 days away though, so im sure itll change again! Ha!

and also...just caus its rainin a lil bit up on the rim, has nothin to do with the weather in the canyon...bring sum rain gear stuff in the car, and see how things look at like 0400 saturday i suppose.

Im really glad this is going on this weekend! Its given me something good to keep focused on.

Edited by everyday on 04/08/2012 07:27:10 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: changin forecast.. on 04/08/2012 08:02:25 MDT Print View

yup- now it's saying cloudy and 48, cool and cloudy would be ideal (for us non-desert rat types anyways :))

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Wet on 04/08/2012 08:27:36 MDT Print View

So how does the canyon soil hold up to a good drenching?

Water and cold could mean muddy conditions on the right types of soil and it could also mean icy conditions near the rims. I'll be bringing spikes, rain shell, insulation, two extra socks, and bivy with me just in case. Now figuring out how I would fit all that in my running pack is going to be a challenge. Fortunately, Most of this will actually stay in the car but might as well be ready.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Wet on 04/08/2012 08:35:43 MDT Print View

from my past hikes I think the soil is mostly pretty sandy. However I did encounter some mud conditions on the last 500-1000 feet up to the north rim where there is more forest.

no spikes for me.
if there is any ice, it will be mild, and only for a short ways near the rim. not worth the weight for the entire run ... for me.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Wet on 04/08/2012 08:39:45 MDT Print View

I was thinking microspikes as well to throw in, but I'm just doing a carry-on- I'm afraid TSA might not let them go by :(