Shoehorn/Spoon
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Shoehorn/Spoon on 11/09/2011 21:11:25 MST Print View

I use a long plastic shoehorn, about 18 inches, to put my shoes on. Reduces the amount of bending required and allows me to keep my shoes tied. I've always been inflexible and getting old isn't making it any better. Long shoehorn is a real luxury.

Shoehorn weighs about .8 ounces and can be used as a spoon. Doesn't work well for liquids but I can just drink the liquid part od my meals.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 11/09/2011 22:06:01 MST Print View

Although short compared to your preferred length the Montbell trowel makes a good shoehorn too.

Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 11/10/2011 07:53:10 MST Print View

Ok unless I get you wrong, you're suggesting of using the shoehorn as both a shoehorn and a spoon in which case I'm just gonna say what I'm sure everyone is thinking, Eww. I'm not sure I'd put my mouth on something my foot had touched, especially after hiking. Just my personal observation.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 11/10/2011 08:34:12 MST Print View

Joslyn,

I've only tested this at home and you may be right about the foot-in-mouth problem with dirty boots.

How about I change the shoe horn to "back-up emergency spoon" use?

Perhaps the other suggestion of trowel/shoe horn is more practical.

I am flexible on with my ideas. For example I have given up on my idea of hat/cereal bowl.

Daryl

Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 11/11/2011 20:50:45 MST Print View

See that's a great idea! I've always hated using a tent stake to dig a hole because of the lack of a bowl and that really solves that problem. Actually I'm starting to like that idea so much I may start carrying a shoe horn too, though I have less of a need for it as its intended purpose.

Though it's sad that the hat/bowl may never work...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
SMC snow stake on 11/18/2011 20:57:21 MST Print View

My potty trowel/tent stake for loose soil is an SMC aluminum snow stake.

(No, I ain't a-goin' ta eat with the durn thang!)

steve flinn
(steveflinn) - F
Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 06/26/2012 00:05:29 MDT Print View

I use my long handled titanium spoon as spoon, backscratcher, tick remover, and shoehorn.

[Cut a tiny triangle out of the tip of the spoon and you can catch up a tick whilst levering it up...never fails to get the whole tick, and I can reach any spot on my own body.]

Edited by steveflinn on 06/26/2012 00:08:03 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 07/03/2012 20:24:34 MDT Print View

Shoehorn, Spoon, Sand Stake, Potty Trowel, SUL Titanium Multi-Tool. .24 oz.

Multi-Tool

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Shoehorn/Spoon on 08/29/2012 20:48:32 MDT Print View

Steve,

I don't have a lot of experience with ticks but would like to be prepared if I get one.

I modfied a plastic spoon per your suggestion. Is this close to what you are talking about?

Darylhere