Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ibex Hooded Indie Sale??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Smith
(DCSmith)
Ibex Hooded Indie Sale?? on 11/09/2011 15:43:27 MST Print View

Do the Ibex Hooded Indie Baselayers ever go on sale? I've been looking for a month and all have been coming up the same price. $99.95. Thanks for the feedback.

Dan

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Sales on 11/09/2011 16:07:56 MST Print View

Ibex.com seems to have them on sale once or twice a year for ~$60, so you could wait for that. Search "ibex hooded indie site:backpackinglight.com" in google to see when they've shown up on gear deals before.

Also, REI just had them on clearance for ~$50 about a month ago. Maybe check your local store to see if they still have some? Or put a WTB ad up in gear swap in case someone is having second thoughts?

Sorry for no direct answers, but maybe that will get you closer :)

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Ibex Hooded Indie on 11/10/2011 07:30:01 MST Print View

I picked one up at the REI clearance, and have been incredibly pleased with it. Definitely my new favorite layer for fall-winter-spring. I've got some other Ibex stuff that is okay but not all the way to awesome. THIS is awesome. Hood is great, long arms with thumb holes are great, and incredibly comfortable, even right next to the skin.

Wool is brutally expensive, but if any piece of wool is worth it, this is it.

My suggestion, since REI carries them, is to at least hold out for an REI 20% off coupon, or I think they'll be giving out some kind of $X off of $X (don't remember the exact numbers) coupons this month to a bunch of members... either one should get you down to $80 or so, and I'd say this piece is actually worth it.

Dan Smith
(DCSmith)
Thanks! on 11/10/2011 07:57:29 MST Print View

I'm wanting one of these to go with a Houdini or Verto, Mont Bell Inner jacket or Parka and a lightweight rain shell. Should get me through 3 seasons.

How is the fit compared to other garments? I'm between a L and XL on most items. Probably go with a large. I'm 5'-11 and 200 lbs. Not exactly fit these days.

Need to start on the inside and work my way out so everything fits correctly.

I'll continue my search and wait for sales!

Dan

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Ibex Hoody as part of layering system on 11/10/2011 12:03:18 MST Print View

Dan,
I'm using the Ibex hoodie, Montbell UL down jacket (6.9oz) and a Montane Superfly eVent jacket (14.7oz) as a layering system, using a Black Rock Gear down beanie as extra warmth for the head -- prefer the hat to a parka, myself -- seems to keep the heat where I need it most, and the hoody and jacket hood can keep out wind and hold in extra warmth, if needed.

I know the jacket is a lot heavier than what most people here are rockin', but my experience is that eVent just works better than other breathable/waterproof layers, and the recent BPL tests seem to support my experience. The extra weight is worth it to me, and the price of a different eVent shell is prohibitive for the few ounces it would save.

I've been happy with a system very similar to what you are looking at. Not the lightest possible option, but incredibly comfortable and functional in a wide variety of weather conditions and temperatures.

As for sizing, I'm 5'10, 165#, and the medium fits perfectly, so sizing seems spot on. Hope that helps.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ibex Hoody as part of layering system on 11/10/2011 17:52:17 MST Print View

Dan,

I was able to get a Ibex hoodie from REI's outlet site (thanks to Konrad Chen for posting that one!) and I'm also 5'10", 165# with the medium fit being perfect for me.

I have a similar system to Tim's layering, though I often start with a s/s wool t-shirt as a base, the Ibex hoodie as a midlayer, then a windshirt. This is good for me when moving, probably into the low 40s. I have the MB UL Down parka and finally also have either a Driducks jacket or a NF Triumph Anorak. I could leave the s/s top or the rain shell at home depending on the conditions and length of trip.

The Ibex hoodie is a great piece if/when you can find one.