Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the only piece of gear youll ever need

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 10:23:38 MST Print View

Chinese Military Shovel WJQ-308 youtube video

defines mutiuse gear pretty well i think ...

made in china means hardcore ;)

Dave Marcus
(Djrez4) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 11:41:41 MST Print View

The Bonanza soundtrack is the best part.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
The final evolution of the troop shovel on 11/09/2011 17:09:24 MST Print View

And to think I used to backpack with the GI version of that thing...

Those guys sure have evolved the shovel to do a lot of things and the soundtrack, combining The Big Valley with The A Team? Epic.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Chinese Military Shovel WJQ-308 on 11/09/2011 17:49:01 MST Print View

Dang! I want one!

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 18:55:51 MST Print View

If they put these up for sale on a bushcraft forum, betcha they could sell more of them than even the Chinese could make!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 19:35:43 MST Print View

"If they put these up for sale on a bushcraft forum, betcha they could sell more of them than even the Chinese could make!"

Not without a bottle opener :D

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 19:41:35 MST Print View

Dale it has a bottle opener too.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 20:35:53 MST Print View

Possibly as useful as a Tom Brown tracker knife! But this being BPL I gotta ask ...... Can I get it in titanium with a cuben scabbard?

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/09/2011 21:04:47 MST Print View

Add to that I want a carbon fibre handle that can double as an extendable trekking pole/tent pole/avalanche probe.

Could multiuse for self-arrest?

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
I'd buy one on 11/09/2011 22:42:58 MST Print View

I'd buy one. But ONLY if a soundtrack is guaranteed to play at all times as I use this shovel. That would be kick **s.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/10/2011 08:43:14 MST Print View

Ken Thompson wrote, "Dale it has a bottle opener too."

I'm holding out for the titanium version with an LED light and compass.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
mulitiuse on 11/10/2011 09:34:44 MST Print View

Wow, I can almost smell the backcountry french fries cooking...see how fast he chopped? He's the real Iron Chef. Hope all the pack rafters took note that they used TWO while in the raft. Make sure you buy an extra!

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
shovel on 11/13/2011 10:19:52 MST Print View

Oh man, if we ever go to war with them we are in trouble...

Stephen Thomson
(stephenT) - F
Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/13/2011 23:06:35 MST Print View

why do you people need a shovel?

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/13/2011 23:28:21 MST Print View

trail clearing

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Clever... on 11/14/2011 13:14:24 MST Print View

Deucedly clever of those chaps to devise such a multi-purpose tool. What they failed to illustrate was how good it would be at chopping off heads. The Russian SPETNAZ are past masters of using an E-tool as a weapon.

But "seriousnously" now, I do keep a U.S. made folding E-tool in my RAV 4 for digging out in winter or in the desert outback. Used it several times in the winter and was glad I had it.

Edited by Danepacker on 11/14/2011 13:15:01 MST.

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
What I need is a good MOTE for safety purposes!! on 11/14/2011 14:18:41 MST Print View

When camping ... dig a mote around your tent to keep out anything unfriendly???

Why the @#!! is the guy digging a trench around the tent?

I knew I was not doing something right.

Ryan Christman
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Midwest U.S.
Re: the only piece of gear youll ever need on 11/14/2011 17:59:10 MST Print View

I can't get that theme music out of my head now...

jeffrey bennett
(jollygreen)

Locale: Near the bottom
"the only piece of gear youll ever need" on 11/15/2011 12:22:52 MST Print View

LOL. I can not believe I just waisted almost 9 minutes of my life watching that video. I just could not turn it off. Not even when my wife asked me to use head phones because I was enjoying the sound track just a little to loud.
I just want to know what kind of tent that was at min 7. Whats the wieght with tent stakes and line.

Edited by jollygreen on 12/18/2011 13:26:04 MST.

Webster Jorgensen
(WebsterJ)

Locale: Kansas City
This Is The Short Version on 11/23/2011 12:35:48 MST Print View

This video is actually missing the final scene where they show that it can still cut a tomato after all that abuse.