Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Field Testing Air Permeable Waterproof-Breathable Fabric Technologies Part 3: Discussion, Conclusions, and Performance of Individual Jackets

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Hike on 11/10/2011 09:16:39 MST Print View

Great job on this, Will. Very useful information, well presented... and way to take one for the team getting up at 4:00am every day for testing :)

I might have missed it somewhere in the article, around the halfway mark of your hike are you hitting a downhill stretch that correlates with the better performing jackets humidity trendline dropping?

Thanks for the info on the shelter from LawsonEquipment.com also... Lawson's a great guy. I hope to see him on the shelter building scene again.

Edited by JacobD on 11/10/2011 09:21:35 MST.

Pat Rabun
(prabun) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Not Suitable for Backpacking !?! on 11/10/2011 11:23:28 MST Print View

Fantastic series of articles- very informative. Thanks Will!

I do question the statement that the majority of the jackets tested are not suitable for backpacking. What? Maybe if you fall into the super ultralight category. I think most " lightweight" backpackers would have little problem with a 12-13 ounce rain jacket that actually worked.

Jeff McWilliams
(jjmcwill) - M

Locale: Midwest
Is the Stoic Vaporshell discontinued? on 12/19/2011 13:39:10 MST Print View

It looks like the Stoic Vaporshell (at least the 2011 model) is now discontinued.

Backcountry.com lists it as: "Out of stock. 2011 model no longer available."

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-vaporshell-jacket-mens

Does anyone know when a replacement for it will arrive?

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Active Ventilation on 12/20/2011 14:43:53 MST Print View

I know this sounds nuts but maybe instead of putting all this technology into fabric, someone should come up with some type of micro fans to be strategically placed in jackets.

Jk Polstorff
(jaykaypee)
Fabric comparison on 01/07/2012 12:42:07 MST Print View

For a scientific fabric comparison see:

www.shelby.fi/tips/breathability.pdf

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
shelter on 01/17/2012 22:26:23 MST Print View

That shelter you are using in the snow photo with the mammut red jacket looks awesome. what's the deal with that?

Everett Vinzant
(wn7ant) - MLife

Locale: CDT
An idea to increase the usefulness of the jackets... on 03/18/2012 09:59:20 MDT Print View

There has been no testing of this idea. If someone knows this is not a workable idea, please speak (even if this is just opinion).

We all agree that the quickest way to dehumidify a jacket is simply to undo the front enclosure. As has been mentioned, this is not so practical in a deluge. So, the thought goes, is it practical to create an "airlock" system?

Here's the idea: You have hiked for an hour, and are starting to swim inside your jacket. Take out your trusty multipurpose plastic trash bag with a hole in it. Throw it on over the top of you (head goes in the hole, pack is off). Lean forward and open the front zipper. Allow steam to escape into the "airlock" you are creating. Close the zipper. Remove the trash bag. Repeat as needed.

If someone has the equipment (and time/desire) to test the efficacy of this idea, post your results. A guess, is that the requirement to stop and do this every 30 mins to an hour may reduce any interest in doing it at all.