Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Karo Step down jacket idea and questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Pappas
(Mpap89) - F

Locale: bay area
Karo Step down jacket idea and questions on 11/07/2011 23:53:54 MST Print View

So I'm thinking of making a karo step down jacket and have a few questions before i begin. I've looked at previous threads about this subject and the idea of where to get a pattern.
(http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20660)
I'm looking for about 1-1.5 inches of loft and i don't think i'm looking for something as lofty as the thru-hiker kit. I think 3 oz of down should be good. Although the kit does look good since i've heard the pattern are extremely easy to follow. What i'm thinking of it finding a pattern for a basic jacket (ie. fleece or maybe the shelby windshirt pattern) and modifying it by adding a second layer since it's down.
Now my questions:
what should the baffle height be if i'm doing a karo step?
Is it possible to do a sew through karo step?
Am i better off doing something like a 1/2 inch baffle height?
Should i just get the thru-hiker whitney kit and do half the down and make 2 jackets?
If i do use a modified windshirt pattern should i size up since the down will take up space and make the jacket feel smaller?

thanks,
Michael

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
answers on 11/08/2011 00:16:05 MST Print View

im no pro so take everything with a grain of organic sea salt

sewn through karo i would do 6x6 on the body 5x5 or 5x4 " the long sides running parallel with the sleeve" on the sleeves when doing the karo baffles i would leave 1 inch on each side of the stitch. so only 3 inches of stitching with 1.5 inch each side un stitched. size up if using a wind shirt pattern mcalls has some good pullover and jacket patterns.

also i'd shoot Tim Marshell a pm. I know he was planing on something similar

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
Thru-hiker jacket on 11/08/2011 10:41:34 MST Print View

I made the thruhiker jacket last winter. Very great pattern and instruction booklet, I highly recommend it. I would do sew through baffles with your estimated loft. I would also think you are spot on with 3 oz of down. The pattern comes with 5.something and you can buy an extra .5 oz of down to basically bring it to 6 oz. I have 3" loft around the body and 1" around the arms and head (I added a hood which was why I ordered the extra .5 oz of down, should have put this in here the first time). About 2-2.5" if you averaged it out is what their website says. I would either shoot Tim and enlightened equipment an email or pm about karo step clothing. There was a thread a few months ago with great detail about karo step. I believe he was going to try a jacket, I am about to try it with a pair of pants based on that thread. I have no clue if he made his jacket yet, but my pants won't be done for 2-3 weeks and they won't get decent testing for about 2 months.

Good luck if you try it, and post how it goes.

I would start by finding the MYOG thread from a few months ago with detail about karo step.

Edited by earn_my_turns on 11/08/2011 11:21:21 MST.

William Zila

thread on 11/08/2011 11:08:30 MST Print View

you order a link to another thread I started? " i start way to many haha" Well anyway here it is

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53502

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

this thread on 11/08/2011 11:13:53 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51009

yours was a good one too. Both got me thinking about doing something Karo. I am going to do a quilt and pants karo step in the coming weeks when my down gets here...

William Zila

quilt on 11/08/2011 11:21:07 MST Print View

i recently did a quilt with differential baffling " totally made that phrase up maybe it will catch on" in essence its normal baffles from the hip up, then there is two 4inch baffles running along the side vertically , and from the hip down its karo. down is completely shiftable throughout the whole quilt heres a crappy pic from my iphone

quiltable throughout the whole quilt

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

that is interesting on 11/08/2011 11:23:18 MST Print View

Can you take better pictures please? Are your top baffles not sew-thru so that it will be warmer around your core and lighter at the feet?

William Zila

Quilt on 11/08/2011 13:37:45 MST Print View

I'll get some better pics tonight. Yes the torso area has 2inch cuben baffles that run from 4inches away from the side to the other side with a 4 inch baffle running vertically on both edges. And the footbox Is sewn through karo syle

Michael Pappas
(Mpap89) - F

Locale: bay area
sewn through or not on 11/08/2011 15:09:08 MST Print View

Does the karo step usually have a mesh baffle or is it usually sewn through? i guess since my loft will be so low i'm just better off sewing through.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: sewn through or not on 11/08/2011 15:18:18 MST Print View

Michael,

I'm not sure 3oz of down would be enough volume to fill a jacket if you used mesh baffles. I'd sew through.