Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
JMT and Bear Spray.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: National Park Superintendents Have Authority To Allow Bear Spray on 11/07/2011 20:24:54 MST Print View

"Boy, this is getting confusing now."

You are making this too hard.

Brown bears (grizzly bears)... take bear spray. The national parks in brown bear country support this.

Black bears... don't take bear spray.

--B.G.--

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
"JMT and Bear Spray." on 11/07/2011 21:14:47 MST Print View

Bob, This is one case where your post has got me cracking up! I couldn't have said it better. Don't spray the black bears, take their picture, if you get the chance!

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: JMT and Bear Spray. on 11/07/2011 21:24:54 MST Print View

Heck around Lake Tahoe they shoot them with rubber bullets, chase them with dogs
they are such a problem. Seem like pepper spray would be more humane. If a bear is close
enough to be sprayed, they should be. Keep 'em alive.

Along the JMT I know of two bear attacks that went unreported because of fear of fines for improper storage of food.
I bet there are many more unreported for that reason. No fatalities tho.

You are your brother bears keeper.

-----

California, if it isn't illegal it's mandatory.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Unintended consequense on 11/07/2011 22:16:07 MST Print View

Apparently bear spray isn't legal in Smoky Mountain National Park either. Carrying concealed handguns is now legal in national parks provided you have a permit to carry in that state (not so hard to do in North Carolina, more so in CA). The current laws basically mean if I'm down in the Smokies I could us lethal force on an aggresive bear but not non-lethal bear spray? Somehow that doesn't make sense but than laws normally don't make sense.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Unintended consequence on 11/07/2011 22:45:40 MST Print View

In most national parks with black bears, they don't consider the bears to be that dangerous. A visitor is allowed to carry, but if you fire the handgun in the park, that is one violation. If you fire it and kill the bear, that is even worse.

Inside the national parks, there is no season for hunting black bears.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 11/07/2011 22:46:45 MST.

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
Bears on the trail on 11/07/2011 23:36:32 MST Print View

Ive seen all these guys on the trail and never had a problem...always stoked when I have time to snap a photo. I think bear spray would be way overkill.

The first one is the biggest bear ive ever seen in the Sierra Nevadas

Kings Canyon Bubbs Creek

Kings Canyon Paradise Valley

Little Yosemite Valley

Edited by highsierraguy on 11/07/2011 23:37:45 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Kings Canyon Bear on 11/07/2011 23:53:12 MST Print View

There is a bear who hangs out near the big falls on the way to Paradise Valley in Kings Canyon. I clapped and yelled at him but he just gave me a weird look. Not scared at all.
(My friend is in the foreground)kc

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Bears on the trail on 11/08/2011 00:06:57 MST Print View

"The first one is the biggest bear ive ever seen in the Sierra Nevadas"

It probably did not get that way from stealing pic-a-nic baskets.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Kings Canyon Bear on 11/08/2011 01:53:05 MST Print View

Here is your basic Kings Canyon black bear, not far from Paradise Valley.

black bear

Now, the poor thing was half scared to death, which is why he climbed the tree. How could anybody even consider using bear spray on the critter?

--B.G.--

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
JMT and Bear Spray. on 11/08/2011 07:25:18 MST Print View

I love all of the bear photos! keep em' coming...although I'm not sure if the OP will want to show this thread to his fiance now : ))

Edited by rp3957 on 11/08/2011 07:26:03 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Kings Canyon Bear on 11/08/2011 07:43:41 MST Print View

Justin is it just me or is that bear basically ignoring you guys? I think your Sierra bears are a hoot. Where I live bears actually run away when they see you they don't look the other way as if humans without pic-a-nic baskets are so boring.

R S
(rps76) - F
Bear photo's.... on 11/08/2011 09:26:23 MST Print View

...Keep'em coming. Just found out (due to work issues) that I will be doing the JMT solo now. Can we turn this thread into the 'Post photo's of the animals you have run into on the trail' thread?

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Bear Photos on 11/08/2011 10:33:42 MST Print View

Sorry I almost had a picture of a Greenback Reticulating Grizzly but he got away too fast. Very rare critter.
Have to see if I can dig up the picture of the Flat Toothed Beach Bear I saw when I was staying with that tribe of pacifist headhunters off the Iowa coast...

In the meantime here's the bear in Alaska that gave us a bit of a scare.

Bear

We first saw this guy higher up on the mountain. We came over a ridge and suddenly there's yogi. He was stanging with his front paws on a rock so for a brief minute he looked like he had the raised shoulders of a grizzly. As soon as he took off running I could tell he was a black bear. We were above treeline in the snow so it was the last place I would have expected to see a bear of any kind. All the other bears I've seen have been gone before I could get my camera.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re Bear Photos on 11/08/2011 10:41:37 MST Print View

Dan your first pic is intimidating to me. Only seen a couple a bears, that one looks big and close. great pic. All of the ones I've seen were on the other side of the creek or something- fleeting views.

BG- yeah who could squirt a little scaredy bear like that. Poor little guy.

R S
(rps76) - F
Skurka on 11/08/2011 10:49:55 MST Print View

I'm assuming most of you have watched Skurka's video where he talks about literally scaring the s**t out of a bear when he was in Alaska?

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

big bear on 11/08/2011 13:00:18 MST Print View

Ya she was close, we actually walked up on her by accident on the bubbs creek trail in Kings Canyon. She had an adolescent cub with her than ran away before I could snap a shot. She was only about 30ft away...the only thing exasperating us was a down tree. I showed the picture to several rangers in Kings Canyon and they all said its the biggest bear they had ever seen in kins Canyon. One actually commented that it may have been a black bear/ brown bear hybrid. I didnt think those existed but he said there are possible rumors some are still around...crazy...

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
Bear photo on 11/08/2011 13:05:14 MST Print View

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: big bear on 11/08/2011 13:07:52 MST Print View

"One actually commented that it may have been a black bear/ brown bear hybrid."

That would be too weird.

Black bears come in a variety of dark colors, and I have seen a few monster bears out there. There was one by the name of Elmer who owned Whitney Portal Campground. Huge bear.

--B.G.--

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

hybrid on 11/08/2011 13:23:49 MST Print View

I dont think the ranger was commenting on his color. I think he was saying that in the far past when there were still brown bears in california, that some may have procreated with black bears and there could be distant relatives of those being hybrids. The ranger specifically pointed out the shape of the bears front torso and shoulders. I find it a little crazy too...but I could see how its possible to have some type of hybrid out there.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Seen dark honey blonds on 11/08/2011 14:01:33 MST Print View

Just outside Desolation Wilderness here in N Ca., I've seen a honey blonde one morning while I was finishing breakfast. Watched it tear into a log, I made a little noise to make sure it knew I was there. :)
Duane