Forum Index » GEAR » Caldera F-Keg Tail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Caldera F-Keg Tail on 11/06/2011 16:14:28 MST Print View

Hi! Got a Caldera F Keg, it's new and i fired it up a few times today to burn off impurities and test it out. Everytime i use it, i pour 15-20ml of fuel directly in the center as i did with my other caldera stoves. With more than 15ml of fuel, a 4" to 5" "tail" of blue/orange fire comes out of the base of the cone and shoots out at about a 75 degree angle. It comes out of the gap where the cones join. Is this normal? This did not happen with my other caldera cones. I am not spilling the fuel, im aiming it directly in the center of the stove.

caldear tail

Edited by isaac.mouser on 11/06/2011 16:35:04 MST.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
hmmm on 11/06/2011 18:04:01 MST Print View

I'd think think that Rand @ Trail Designs would provide you with the most reliable answer.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Esbit position on 11/06/2011 18:38:33 MST Print View

You have the keg at its lowest position which is meant for Esbit. You should have received (2) silicone beer bands with the system, (1) is for a lip guard around the top rim, and the other is to set the height of the can to the cone when using the 10-12 alcohol stove. You should have gotten instructions as well, which will tell you how many inches to set this band up from the bottom of the keg.

Edited by mfog1 on 11/06/2011 18:39:36 MST.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
thanks on 11/07/2011 05:07:39 MST Print View

thank you.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Caldera F-Keg Tail on 11/07/2011 05:29:57 MST Print View

I can't help you with the tail as I have never noticed that on mine.

But the ridge formed in the can is where it is set for the stove OR Esbit. The extra Beer Band is for your own use with a non-formed can.

I used one quite a bit last winter and this fall.

http://tinyurl.com/bqe58ze

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
band on 11/07/2011 08:01:42 MST Print View

Thats what i thought, according to the directions the beer band was for making your own can. Maybe im wrong, but i dont remember reading to use the beer band for normal operation in the directions.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 11/07/2011 08:17:12 MST.

Rand Lindsly
(randlindsly) - MLife

Locale: Yosemite
Re: Caldera F-Keg Tail on 11/07/2011 12:45:37 MST Print View

Interesting......hummm.....we'll straighten it out. FYI Isasc did email me....thanks for pointing him my direction. For the group in general.....we have two Fosters based Kegs.....the Keg-F and the Keg-GVP. The GVP has a shorter cone and therefore needs the can to be lifted up higher above the stove for it to work.....hence the conversation about the beer band. If you truly have a Keg-F, setting it on the ridge as shown in the picture is just fine.

Isaac:

Did you get a Keg F or a Keg-GVP. You specifically stated you have an "F", so I assume that's it. If so, you are doing it correctly as best I can tell from the picture.

The first thought I have is that the pan it is sitting in is creating an oddball airflow blowing the stove flames out the side like that. Have you tried it outside the pan?

Finally, make sure the stove is centered inside the cone and not off to one side.

Let me know (preferably via email) and we'll post our findings back here.

Rand :-)

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
Customer Service on 11/11/2011 06:40:42 MST Print View

Want to commend Rand for helping me figure out what was going on. 12-10 stove was leaking and Rand has sent me a new one. A+ customer service from trail designs.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Customer Service on 11/11/2011 07:45:27 MST Print View

They are da BOMB.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Trail Designs A+ Customer Service on 11/11/2011 16:59:05 MST Print View

Nice. Not that we expected anything less from Trail Designs.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving