Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Campsite Activities for the GGG

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Troll Hunt on 11/10/2011 09:38:16 MST Print View

Ken, I was thinking more along the lines of Ringlefinch?

James, I would back you on the Pinata idea, I'm not too worried about Ken, but I wouldn't want to get on Kat's bad side ;)

Regarding movies, I'm down for Troll Hunter (obviously) but I have no idea how to get it onto an iPhone or whatever.

Why problem make when you no problem have you don't want to make?

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

UL Beer Garden on 11/10/2011 09:41:02 MST Print View

Beer tasting anyone? Bring in some bombers for everyone to pull from (into their cups, otherwise YUK!argaahaa).

or maybe a UL Gun Show? I've been wanting to see the 'hold down your shelter with lightweight handguns' demonstrated, could kill two birds with one stone here (or kill a whole bunch with all the firearms)?

I need some time away from the computer. Feb can't get here soon enough.

(I do think the beer garden is worthwhile though)

Edited by JacobD on 11/10/2011 09:48:32 MST.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: UL Beer Garden on 11/10/2011 10:00:13 MST Print View

If we do the beer garden we'll have to rope them in with some Triptease. Could be a way to show that we can tie knots in the stuff too!

Eli .
(Feileung) - F
Campsite Activities for the GGG on 11/10/2011 11:01:38 MST Print View

I can carry a couple of those logs too Tony.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Fire / Duraflames on 11/10/2011 11:07:50 MST Print View

Is wood collecting allowed in the area? If so we might be able to get by with just a few Duraflame logs to get things started (I'm assuming wood in the area will be damp but will burn with enough motivation)... that pile of logs at Coe was enormous, but it was darn cold.

I would rather carry beer than logs... last time I carried both and it was hardly UL :)

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Fire / Duraflames on 11/10/2011 16:07:30 MST Print View

Doug & Eli,

Thanks for volunteering to carry logs.

With any luck, if we can drive a support vehicle in, then no need for human donkeys to carry stuff in. :)

In the event we can not have a support vehicle, having the logs is nice.

If there is wood there to gather, then I am all for it, but even having a few Duraflame type logs is a nice and easy way to ensure we get a good fire going.

Jacob.....guess we need to designate people as log mules or keg mules to haul in stuff, right?

If you are into beer, you really need to talk to Cameron in detail as he is a brewer who makes top notch stuff. Some people have said that he should be selling his brew...

I like the Pinata idea, but maybe we need to fill it up with cliff bars, beef jerky, and other UL food stuff?

Could be a lot of fun, but if we use a LT4 Carbon Hiking pole as the club, it might take a long time to break and I am sure someone is going to get wacked in the head.

-Tony

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Fire / Duraflames on 11/10/2011 19:09:41 MST Print View

Tony, I am pretty sure no vehicles will be allowed on this one. Ken is scoping it out this weekend

Todd Hein
(todd1960) - MLife

Locale: Coastal Southern California
Gear Trade Extension? on 11/10/2011 23:32:59 MST Print View

What about bringing items you'd like to sell or trade (not just for 24 hours)?

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Re: Re: Re: Fire / Duraflames on 11/11/2011 15:24:05 MST Print View

@Tony,
Yes, a few logs was my thought there since the wood will likely be damp and need some motivation to reach bonfire status. I have not checked if wood collection is permitted. Ken or Ken probably posted this and so I need to re-read when time permits.

I did talk beer with Cameron for a bit at the Trinity meet up. I have yet to try his beer since I never make it on the first night of these things and good beer has a tendency to not hang around! I will contribute a couple of different stouts, and IPA or maybe a coconut porter to get the beer garden started.

As far as workshops or breakaway groups go, if there are lack of volunteers I can demonstrate a few knots that I know, or show how to hang a bag PCT style. I think everybody pretty much knows this stuff, but if I've been in the beer garden before hand it might have more entertainment value than anything else.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Fire / Duraflames on 11/11/2011 16:20:24 MST Print View

Jacob,

You would be surprised how much I don't know.

I actually only know one knot to make a loop.

The other knots, clove or hitch? No clue never learned them.

I have seen a video of the PCT method, but have never used it or even bear bagged.

I have always used a bear can or the UrSack.

As for demos:

I think that I can offer one to show the gravity filter that I use

Some methods of fire starting using a cotton ball, vasaline, aluminum foil for a fire bowl, and a fire steel.

How I to stuff everything/gear inside a bivy and provide extra insulation under you

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Campsite Activities for the GGG on 11/20/2011 08:55:50 MST Print View

Keep the ideas coming! Some good ones so far.

I think another burn off is a must. Just have to have a videographer that will actually release the footage taken. That's right I'm talking about you E.J..

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Activities for BPL GGG on 11/20/2011 11:33:32 MST Print View

How about Touch Rugby which is one way to stay warm plus there is plenty of room out there. I will bring a ball just in case and it doubles a a pillow.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Campsite Activities for the GGG" on 11/20/2011 11:45:07 MST Print View

That's a great idea, Jay.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Activities for BPL GGG on 11/26/2011 20:47:05 MST Print View

If you wold like to do a demo or such you can PM me and I'll get you on the list. Keep the suggestions coming. Will be here before you know it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Activities for BPL GGG on 12/03/2011 20:10:26 MST Print View

If you wold like to do a demo or such you can PM me and I'll get you on the list. Keep the suggestions coming. Will be here before you know it.

Really would like to hear from you...

Less than 3 months away.

So far

fire building
wood stove burn off
photography lecture
Instaflator vs. Micro burst race
wet t-shirt contest (see which dries best, you perv.)
How to lose friends and alienate people
Various methods to be discussed-Idester
Rugby
Frisbee golf
--your event here--

Edited by kthompson on 12/09/2011 22:27:40 MST.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Campsite Activities for the GGG" on 12/04/2011 00:02:02 MST Print View

Frisbee golf.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Activities for BPL GGG on 12/09/2011 21:04:56 MST Print View

Let's not forget the ever popular swap meet.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Activities for BPL GGG on 12/09/2011 21:46:39 MST Print View

I'd like to demo how to alienate your friends and family with poorly timed snarky comments and over the top profanity. I won't even need much time, since, if I'm really good, nobody should hang around the demonstration very long at all....

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Re: Activities for BPL GGG on 12/09/2011 22:03:47 MST Print View

That's funny Doug, you just made my day.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Activities for BPL GGG--by Idster on 12/09/2011 22:08:51 MST Print View

You go, Doug! Represent those of us that can't be there, in true rogue fashion. But remember, I asked Kat to be the hall monitor, so you'll have to work around that.

I think it's great that ya'll are meeting once again. It looks to be a good time.