Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
One-Size-Fits-All Pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
One Pack For Everything on 11/03/2011 18:40:05 MDT Print View

If you are like me (and I know I am) then you like to use one pack for everything (day hike, week long hike, hauling groceries from store, hauling gym gear back and forth, etc.)

Small amounts (say 5 lbs) carried in a 3000 cubic inch pack, however, will often jiggle and jostle around. I've experimented with various ways to temporarily reduce the volume of a large pack so small loads will ride securely (e.g. straps, drawstrings, bunji cords, etc.) Here's my latest effort and, so far, my favorite.

The back bag of this pack is sewn like a 2 foot wide by 3 foot tall envelope. A 2' X 3' piece of fairly stiff 3/8" blue foam is inside the pack. When the pack is empty the foam keeps the envelope fairly flat and reduces volume to near zero. As I fill the pack the foam bends and increases volume as required. The six photo's shown here show 2 views each of empty pack, pack with 5 lbs of stuff and fully filled pack.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Edited by lyrad1 on 02/18/2012 17:04:13 MST.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
good idea on 11/04/2011 04:30:09 MDT Print View

Daryl,

Since you are going to carry your sleeping pad anyway, why not put to work. It is a simple lightweight solution. Although I am partial to a modular (tube Or luxury lite), this seems like it would work. Does the pack catch the wind when empty - sail effect. Is it floppy?

Dave

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: good idea on 11/04/2011 08:49:55 MDT Print View

Dave,

The blue foam pad is part of what I sleep on. I just leave it in the pack and sleep on the pack.

The empty pack probably would catch the wind and flop around a bit. Without wind it is fairly stiff and doesn't flop around. I wouldn't be hiking with an empty pack. I just included the photo so people could see the actual shape of the envelope like back bag.

Maybe I could enlarge the pack and use it to jump off cliffs? The empty pack might also scare away bears because it makes me look bigger and a little like a hooded cobra.

Daryl

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
pack jumping on 11/05/2011 06:52:53 MDT Print View

Daryl,

You've invented a new sport - pack jumping - now everyone is going to copy your design. You just need a few mind numbed MTV'ers to be your test subjects.

Seriously now, you make a good point. Depending on how you pack the inside of your pack - you have eliminated the need for external compression mechanisms. I could see that if you used a tri-folded pad, you could use it in different configurations to contain your gear.

I like the "outsideness of the boxness" of this site.

Dave