Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Can Tyvek be dyed/colored?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Can Tyvek be dyed/colored? on 11/03/2011 13:27:23 MDT Print View

My thought of making an ultralight jacket from M90 or similar material is shifting to a ready made Tyvek jacket (or coveralls converted to a jacket) readily available at paint stores for $6-10. Problem is, for me, I want it to be bright for times I hike during hunting season.

I understand that synthetic materials don't accept color the way natural fibers do. However, it seems I vaguely recall reading, somewhere, that Tyvek can be dyed. Has anyone tried this and if so, what were your results?

Roger Munsey
(8100LT) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Good Luck on 11/03/2011 13:57:27 MDT Print View

Rusty,

I tried several times last year, once even letting it soak for a week. I was trying to make the white, soft structure (the kind with no lettering on it) tyvek black. I washed it first, and the best I did was a very white shade of gray using the dye available locally, ColoRit liquid, if I remember correctly. I don't think you will ever get anything near the Safety Orange you will need for safe (safer) hiking in a hunting zone!

Good Luck!
Roger

Edited by 8100LT on 11/03/2011 14:36:15 MDT.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Reference on 11/03/2011 14:19:18 MDT Print View

Never tried it, but have come across this before: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6320

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
use spray pain on 11/03/2011 20:13:22 MDT Print View

rusty, spray paint should work very well, I used to be surprised how well it stuck to material, clothing, etc. Not perfect, but try a sample piece, get some fluorescent spray paint and give a test piece a spray to see how it works. My guess is it will work very well, even spraying cotton used to work well for me, not great, since it was so absorbent, but quite well.

With tyvek, which is just a plastic of sorts, I'd think it would stick really well, and wouldn't flake off too badly either, if at all.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Thanks, all! on 11/03/2011 20:49:37 MDT Print View

Thanks, everyone. I also dug up a little more info. The most promising, for anything sizable, was RIT dye. From what one poster posted, it sounds as though it works on soft Tyvek. I assume soft Tyvek is what's used on disposable garments....and I also assume Roger was using a different type...maybe?. Regardless, I'm still leery if I could get "soft Tyvek" as dark as I want.

Check out the last comment in this link: http://tyvek-blog.materialconcepts.com/2010/04/colored-tyvek-coloring-tyvek-with.html

Re the use of paint, it seems as though that might hinder the breathability. Also, and I can't tell you exactly why but, there's something about the idea of wearing a garment that has been "painted" that makes me uneasy. I bet I could get the desired color though!

Edited by rustyb on 11/03/2011 20:52:56 MDT.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Spray painting tyvek on 11/03/2011 21:00:08 MDT Print View

>Also, and I can't tell you exactly why but, there's something about the idea of wearing a garment that has been "painted" that makes me uneasy.<

yeah if you ever want to get a date...