Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best inherently waterproof fabric?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
Best inherently waterproof fabric? on 11/02/2011 09:24:04 MDT Print View

I am going to be spending more time in cold and wet conditions and since most membranes and laminates wet out within a day I was thinking of just making some items using fabrics that are just naturally inherently waterproof so that I did not have to worry about reapplying DWR or keeping them clean just so they breath.

What I am looking for would include pit zips, a full zip, a hood, and be durable. The weight is not really a concern for me as long as I can keep it to around 10oz or less.

I have looked at the Packa but I do not need the extra area for the pack and I have looked at the one from antigravitygear.com but I do need pit zips and I believe that it is not that durable.

As far as I know there is the cuben fiber stuff and the silnylon stuff. Since I don't care about the weight I don't need the cuben stuff. For silnylon should I be looking at stuff like the Cordura or is there anything else out there that I should be leaning to? Thanks.

Edited by bpeugh on 11/02/2011 12:07:08 MDT.

Eli .
(Feileung) - F
re: Best inherently waterproof fabric? on 11/02/2011 09:55:35 MDT Print View

This guy might be able to help you with Silnylon rain gear.

lukesultralite.com

Edited by Feileung on 11/02/2011 09:56:17 MDT.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Best inherently waterproof fabric? on 11/02/2011 19:24:29 MDT Print View

You are a member. Have you looked at BPL Articles, Techniques?

The point of the Packa is to allow air to circulate.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Best inherently waterproof fabric? on 11/02/2011 19:56:48 MDT Print View

Using silnylon you should be able to get well under 10 oz. I'd bet that you could be under that even using 1.9 oz coated ripstop or a light coated taffeta. Either will be somewhat more durable than the silnylon, and easier to sew.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Best inherently waterproof fabric? on 11/02/2011 20:28:23 MDT Print View

I think you will get wet in just about anything working hard in extended hard rain in humid weather, so the point is to stay warm.

Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
heavy on 11/05/2011 19:49:54 MDT Print View

If you don't care about weight the outdoor reseach rampart jacket might be woth looking into. Should a lot more durable then silnylon and they have the torsoflow zips on the side for venting. I don't see it on their website anymore so they may be discontinued but there's still plenty of stores that have them in stock online

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: heavy on 11/06/2011 09:35:41 MST Print View

Im gonna try the Rampart this year. In the PNW. It is pretty appealing with the stowable hood and torso flow.
I'm gonna try it directly over 100wt fleece to catch any moisture I may create... that is, until I can confirm its breathability qualities

Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
breathability??? on 11/06/2011 16:03:01 MST Print View

The rampart isn't breathable. Just waterproof coated nylon. I thought at least.