November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Military Surp Snowshoes?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - M

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Military Surp Snowshoes? on 11/01/2011 14:56:13 MDT Print View

What do you guys think about the military surplus snowshoes made from magenisum? Do they make good budget snowshoes?

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: Military Surp Snowshoes? on 11/01/2011 15:08:05 MDT Print View

I have a pair. They work as they should. Not great for uphill so much, but for rolling terrain they do just fine. A good way to see if snowshoeing is for you. I think I paid $40 with bindings shipped. Too cheap not to try.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Military Surp Snowshoes? on 11/01/2011 15:41:50 MDT Print View

Call some rental shops. I'm pretty sure one of my hiking buddies picked up a set of MSR's that way for about $25. If you decide to upgrade further, I bet name brand snowshoes would be a lot easier to resell.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Had 'em, sold 'em on 11/04/2011 19:35:15 MDT Print View

Had a pair of aluminum military 'shoes W/ plastic coated steel cable webbing. (The shape is called "Michigan" style, it's a teardrop shape.) I cut a usless 5" off the tails and replaced the military bindings with far better LL Bean bindings. My next mod was to rivet 1" stainless steel angle (W/claw teeth cut into one edge) to the bottom of the LL Bean bindings but I never got that far. Sold 'em for $50. to a friend who used them for deer hunting.

I got some Atlas 800 series 30" 'shoes and was much happpier, except on steep, slippery traverses.

Now I have even better MSR Lightning Ascent 30" 'shoes. No more slippin' on those steep sidehill crossings.

Edited by Danepacker on 11/04/2011 19:35:59 MDT.