A Close Shave
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 11:42:56 MDT Print View

Men with trimmed beards look nice. Props to guys with silver. I see so many clean shaven men who would look...er....more manly if you will, if they just grew a beard!

But no scraggly hippie beards though.....

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 12:46:33 MDT Print View

Sarah,

Some men, myself included, don't possess dense enough facial hair to grow a decent beard. After a month I simply look scruffy and homeless and that is the longest I can stand it. Shaving is the lesser of two evils.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Beard on 11/01/2011 19:04:55 MDT Print View

I am blessed/cursed with a heavy beard.

I am technically clean shaven. But my 5 o'clock shadow may be considered a light beard by many people. ;)

(OK...an exaggeration, but not by much! :D)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 19:11:06 MDT Print View

I always shave closely prior to a backpack trip. For one thing, I think of how many grams that must save me for the start. But then I let it grow out during the trip, and that saves me from needing sunscreen on my face.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 19:14:44 MDT Print View

" I think of how many grams that must save me for the start"

I am scared to find out how many grams of hair I carry on every trip.....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 19:18:43 MDT Print View

During a talk with Coup from Golite, he said he shaved everywhere for the weight savings before his Colorado Trail hike. >3oz.

@ Kat How about weight when wet?

Edited by kthompson on 11/01/2011 19:19:18 MDT.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
.... on 11/01/2011 19:24:18 MDT Print View

I like to start a hike with a clean shave because it is much easier to put on sunblock. The more stubble you get, the harder it is to get it. Same thing surfing, I always shave before just so I can get a good coat of that wonderful sunblock.

My beards too multi-colored anyways.

BTW Matthew and Doug, thanks. Your's are the only replies that have given any advice on the topic. -Let the chaff continue.

edited for: credit where credit is due!

Edited by WarrenGreer on 11/02/2011 18:33:59 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 19:27:19 MDT Print View

@ Kat How about weight when wet?

Pounds!

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: Re: A Close Shave on 11/01/2011 20:07:32 MDT Print View

Kat's hair when wet: This came up on the last trip. We really need to have her wear a PFD for winter creek crossings just to be on the safe side.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Shave? What's that? on 11/01/2011 20:30:22 MDT Print View

At my wife's request, I stopped shaving when we got married. That was nearly 38 years ago.

But I generally keep it trimmed....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Shave? What's that? on 11/01/2011 20:35:35 MDT Print View

"But I generally keep it trimmed...."

I would expect nothing else from a Barber.

Really though the wet shave is the most enjoyable, best quality shave.

I hope the OP will give it a go.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Been there.... on 11/01/2011 20:51:15 MDT Print View

Tried it before (a few times) and don't dig it. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Matthew Or
(MattO) - F
50 year old adjustable Gillette. on 11/01/2011 20:51:29 MDT Print View

I recently purchased a 1962 Gillette Slim Double edge adjustable safety razor off Ebay for $30.
The thing is built to last, is made of solid brass and is nickel plated. I get a 10 pack of double edged safety razors for $1.39.
The shave is unbelievable and extremely close. I will never go back to the disposable Mach 3, type blades ever again.
I thoroughly recomend wet shaving for anyone that is thinking of "converting."

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Groan! on 11/01/2011 20:51:51 MDT Print View

"I would expect nothing else from a Barber."

Groan! I should have expected that!!! ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Occupy Madison Avenue!!!!!!!!!!!! on 11/02/2011 12:55:35 MDT Print View

Warren,

I found the Norelco's do the best job. But that was years ago. Not sure if they build a quality product anymore.

Take a look at professional atheletes who normally are clean shaven. They have a stubble when they play. A clean shave causes irritation when you sweat a lot.

But why do we shave? It isn't natural... it is just a ploy by Madison Avenue to purchase shaving gear, accessories, and fu fu smelling chemicals. So... Occupy Madison Avenue!

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Re: Occupy Madison Avenue!!!!!!!!!!!! on 11/02/2011 16:34:52 MDT Print View

... it is just a ploy by Madison Avenue to purchase shaving gear, accessories, and fu fu smelling chemicals. So... Occupy Madison Avenue!

all in fun, huh? I love me 'dem stereotypes, like "down with business!"

lulz

dirty hippy!

is that a beard?!?

--------------

and, in the spirit of the thread... nick is right, athletes prefer stubble. Full-on beards suck more than clean shaven skin... except legs

who is this moron?!?

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
man I think we are on to the next frontier on 11/04/2011 12:41:30 MDT Print View

The next frontier in ultralight backpacking is depilating unless one is substituting body hair for a bag or quilt I believe we should loose every hair off our bodies at the start of a trip.
In this vein I'm offering the Pye's 1000 Self Waxing Kit.logo
Come on you bunch of hairbags, time to come clean.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Electric shavers on 11/04/2011 13:10:57 MDT Print View

These all feel like they are pulling weeds rather than mowing the grass. Ouch!

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Shave on 11/04/2011 13:39:45 MDT Print View

The best/closest shave i ever had was in Turkey. (I paid for visiting Turkey the next time i visited the US) The barbers son swapped an old T-Shirt for food.
The works. Hot towel. Open razor shave. Cup of apple tea. Hot towel again, followed by another shave. A few cents.

The stupid mistake was to dive into the ocean 5 minutes after the shave. I've never felt stinging like that in my life! :)

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Pondering the BEARD on 02/05/2013 14:03:33 MST Print View

During the BPL web server outage, I was pondering the R-Value of my beard at a length of 1 inch.

Also as the invasion of the white hairs are winning the rebellion to overthrow the current regime of the brown hairs, I am also pondering how this color change will affect my SPF (Sun Protection Factor) level.