A Close Shave
Display Avatars Sort By:
Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 19:36:34 MDT Print View

No relation to Wallace & Grommet, but thanks to them for the title of this thread.

I have pretty much always used an electric shaver. My latest find, and that was perhaps ten years ago, is the foil shaver, made by folks like Remington. They are great in that they provide a very close shave, sort of like a blade, but they are difficult to shave a four-day stubble with after an adventure. All this to say my current shaver is dieing a slow death. Therefore, I need a new shaver. I'm looking for the closest, most comfortable shave I can find. And it'd be nice to be able to shave off more than a days-worth of growth, something my current one doesn't like doing. So, what would you recommend and why?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 20:38:42 MDT Print View

Does your current one also have a 'hair trimmer'? You know, that pops out and you use it on your sideburns and such? If so, your current razor may be fine. I use the hair trimmer on my Norelco to 'shave down' a weekend growth, then use the razor as normal for the 'close shave.' Works great for me.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Good idea on 10/30/2011 20:46:41 MDT Print View

I had forgotten that. And this from a true gear geek (no harm/no foul). I knew it'd be the guys who were into (consumed!) by gear that'd have good ideas like this. Birds of a feather.... Thanks Doug.

I still need a new one though. It's many, many years old and the batteries are dieing as well as the blades. I figure I have a few months to a year tops before it is totally done.

edited for clarity.

Edited by WarrenGreer on 10/31/2011 18:58:16 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Razors are barbaric... on 10/30/2011 22:02:09 MDT Print View

"It is more than a quarter century-century since I used one of these barbarous instruments..."

- Colin Fletcher

colin fletcher

----------------

FAMOUS BEARDS

Jesus
Burl Ives
Mitch Miller
Orson Wells
Sigmund Freud
Moses
Col. Sanders
Sebastian Cabot
Leonardo Davinci
Charles Darwin
Charlemagne
Abraham Lincoln
Robert E Lee
WEB Du Bois
Ernest Hemingway
George Bernard Shaw
Victor French
Theodore Bikel
George Lucas
Confucius
Ulysses S. Grant
Bob Marley
Socrates
Vikings
Vincent Van Gogh
OBi-Wan Kanobe
Gandalf
Jerry Garcia
Surgeon General C. Everett Koop
King Henry VIII
John Muir
Walt Whitman
Louis Pastar

----------------

BENEFITS Of BEARDS (from Wonderfulinfo.com)

A beard protects the face from harmful chemicals, and pollution in the air, which will cause cell damage, and increase wrinkling and bad skin. So keeping a beard protects your skin from the elements, reduces wrinkles, ageing, and bad skin.

The beard covers the skin, which protects the sebaceous glands from being infected by acne vulgaris bacteria, thus preventing acne/spots/pimples!

Keeping your face warmer and protects your chin from dangers.

It prevents disease of throat and gums.

Most of the respiratory problems are prevented by keeping beard.

It is the identity for a man with respect to woman.

Research says the longer and thicker the beard the wiser the person is supposed to be.

What is the total time spent in shaving by a man in his whole lifetime? Dr. Herbert Mescon from Boston University did research to give an answer to this question. Dr. Mescon calculated that if a teenager begin shaving at the age of 15, then in his 55 or so years of shaving, he is likely to spend about 3350 hours (which are equivalent to about 139 full days) at this task in his lifetime. That is an incredible amount of time which literally goes down the drain. You can add to it thousands of dollars one spends during his lifetime on products for shaving (razors, shaving gels, after-shave lotions etc).

====================

How we use our tax dollars :)

In a 1973 issue of psychology , Robert J. Pelligrini, a psychologist from California State University published the results of an experiment on the perception as a function of different state of beardedness or beardlessness. To carry out the experiment, Pelligrini hired eight full-bearded young men from the ages of 22-25 years, who were willing to have their beards completely shaved off. All men were professionally photographed in each of the following states:
1.Full beard
2.Goateed
3.Mustached
4.Clean shaven

Upon completion of the photographic sessions, there were a total of thirty two photographs i.e. four photos of each of the eight men. In the experiment, those photos were randomly distributed to subjects who were asked to rate their first impression based on a number of personality traits. The subjects who evaluated the photos compromised 64 male and 64 female psychology students. Hence, each photo was judged by two males and two females.

The result of this study by Pelligrini indicated a generally positive correlation between the amount of hair on the person's face and his being perceived as masculine, good looking, dominant, mature, courageous, liberal, non-confirming, older healthy and attractive.

================

You should always respect the knowledge and experience of greybeards

nick

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Razors are barbaric... on 10/30/2011 22:06:39 MDT Print View

Sorry Nick.
Just shaved mine yesterday. It was messing with my aerodynamics.
You might want to think about that next time you're feeling slow.

I hate shaving machines: if you must, use a blade.

Edited by xnomanx on 10/30/2011 22:08:00 MDT.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Beards on 10/30/2011 22:16:29 MDT Print View

Too much of a PITA to keep trimmed and shaped for me when not in long hiking mode.

(And a touch of vanity, now, too. My very black beard now has a large portion of very noticeable gray hair in it! :) )

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 22:26:32 MDT Print View

+1 for Norelco. Use the beard trimmer to hack through more than a few days growth. I've had two of them over the past 6 years or so, replacing the first one for a model upgrade even though it still worked fine. Both of mine were made in Holland and I believe you can still find models made there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 22:27:34 MDT Print View

Never used an electric razor much. Reluctantly gave up my Safety razor when I could not find blades anymore. Using Gillette disposables now. What about a straightedge? Making a comeback. Sustainable. Also saw a guy shave with petroleum jelly and a single edge razor blade. His skin looked fantastic for his advanced age.

My stepfather said that if you can give yourself a great shave you have made a virtue out of necessity. Beards and facial hair take too much upkeep to look good. Most guys are lazy and their beards look like crap the majority of the time.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 22:33:10 MDT Print View

"Most guys are lazy and their beards look like crap the majority of the time."

That would be me.

Shave...wait two weeks...repeat.

Matthew Black
(mtblack)
Re: Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 22:41:25 MDT Print View

Ken, My little brother is still using a safety razor. I think he mail orders blades. I know they are really hard to find in most towns.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/razors/blades/67010

Steven Killion
(blendedfrog) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 22:54:47 MDT Print View

You should give wet shaving with a double edge safety razor a try. I hated shaving until a buddy got me interested in it. Check out Corey Greenburg's Shaveblog and there is great information at Straight Razor Place forums and Badger and Blade forums.

Ken, West Coast Shaving has razor blade sample packs. I found the Feather DE blade works best for me.

Edited to fix links.

Edited by blendedfrog on 10/30/2011 23:04:35 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: A Close Shave on 10/30/2011 22:54:58 MDT Print View

Thanks Matthew. A good shave is in my future!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Razors are barbaric... on 10/30/2011 23:09:52 MDT Print View

Craig,

Lasse Viren won Olympic gold medals for the 5,000 meters and 10,000 meters twice! in 1972 and 1976. He is the only person to win two 5K golds. and the only 5K-10K double-double. Also in 1972 his 10,000 meter run broke the world record even though falling in the 12th lap when he got tangled up with another runner.

lasse viren

Tommy Smith & John Carlos 1968 Olympics

Tommy Smith & John Carlos 1968 Olympics

prefontaine

Steve Prefontaine and Nike founder Bill Bowerman

Other aerodynamic beards that come to mind....

ryan martin

Ryan Martin (UCSB) Big West Conference Track Athlete of the Year.

ryan hall

US Marathoner, Ryan Hall

bob kennedy

Bob Kennedy once held the American record in the 3000 meters (7:30.84), 2 miles (8:11.59) and the 5000 metres (12:58.21).

bernard legat

Bernard Lagat an eleven time medalist in World Championships and Olympics including four gold medals.

:)

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

OK then on 10/31/2011 18:56:41 MDT Print View

Nick, you are having too much fun. Thread drift is expected here in Chaff though!

Really, I just need an electric shaver that provides a good close shave. I've had many Norelco's and a few Remingtons. I prefer the closer-shaving Remingtons. They are a little less comfortable, but for the baby-butt closeness they provide, I'm OK with that. And I just dislike blades. Don't really want to retrain myself.

Basically three brands make foil shavers; Remington, Panasonic, and Braun. For those of you with experience with any of them, LMK what you think. And I'll contemplate growing a beard while I wait for your responses! And I'm also counting on you (fellow) gear geeks to know.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: OK then on 10/31/2011 19:54:59 MDT Print View

Once upon a time when I shaved everyday an electric razor never shaved close enough. The best was a Norelco triple head. If I were to go backward into a barbaric state I would go with a disposable... Do they still make safety razors?

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Yep on 10/31/2011 20:03:15 MDT Print View

You can go here http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/razors/safety to find some safety razors. They are retro and made out of cool materials and can cost up to $200 big one. And they use German-made blades. German precision is good. But I think I'll pass for the convience of a cordless electric shaver.

Peter Rodrigues
(prodrigues)

Locale: New York
Beards on 10/31/2011 20:11:50 MDT Print View

Give up the blade...after all it is no shave November

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: A Close Shave on 10/31/2011 21:26:09 MDT Print View

Think Billy Duke in "Commando" - get a blue bic and dry shave.

Use a Shick and hot water.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: A Close Shave on 10/31/2011 22:09:08 MDT Print View

Think Billy Duke in "Commando" - get a blue bic and dry shave.

That was in Predator

Dave Marcus
(Djrez4) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
If we're using movies... on 11/01/2011 08:31:51 MDT Print View

I suggest the Bowie knife from Crocodile Dundee.